Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Mine 2017 2.5 Outback Premium Mortegi MR117 Pirelli Scorpions / Wife's 2020 Impreza Hatchback Sport
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote taken from the scene where the Grinch gets emotional....

I have been a car guy/gearhead all my life. Had motorcycles as a kid, and raced both on and off road. My first car was a 68 olds with a 455. When I was 28 I got hooked on Jeeps and Broncos. My kids learned to drive in Off road vehicles 2 years ago I decided it was time for a change and sold my JK and bought a 2017 Outback. It has been a wonderful car. It has taken my wife and I on all kinds of adventures here in Arkansas and in Colorado. I keep seeing my Jeep friends around and have been eying jeeps again. Then the new Bronco came out and after watching a few promo videos I was unable to sleep. Dealing with indecision, Do I want to go back to a Jeep or keep the Outback. This has been bugging me for the past few months. Tonight I told my wife I was going to clean all my belongings out of the Subaru and go shopping for a Jeep tomorrow. After about 30 minutes of reminiscing as I removed Camping hatchets, latrine shovel, camp saw, tow straps and various other items from the back. All the wonderful memories of where this car had brought me overwhelmed me. I continued cleaning, vacuuming, and detailing. Then went inside and told my wife I couldn't sell the Outback. I loved it too much.
Been a Long time since I have felt this way about a Car.
I own a couple BMW Motorcycles that I love.... But a car? She told me to get a lift kit for it and some other car jewelry for it... You know to show it my affection. :).

·
Registered
'18 Outback Touring 3.6R, '11 Legacy 3.6R Limited. '11 WRX not stock
405 Posts
I think the first run of the Bronco is sold out anyhow. Even with the added production.
The "Wife" sounds like a keeper for sure :giggle:

·
Registered
391 Posts
Then the new Bronco came out and after watching a few promo videos I was unable to sleep. Dealing with indecision, Do I want to go back to a Jeep or keep the Outback. This has been bugging me for the past few months. Tonight I told my wife I was going to clean all my belongings out of the Subaru and go shopping for a Jeep tomorrow.
I read it all, just kept some......

So, as a "gear head" you'll know what I'm about to tell ya...... NEVER BUY THE FIRST YEAR OF A NEW CAR OR GENERATION. You really want to be the "tester" for the manufacture? If you're still set on a NEW Bronco, give it a year or 2 to get the bugs out. Then see if your attitude (yea, yours) has changed about this. You may still want it.... EVEN MORE!

Reactions: wswartzwel

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
3,972 Posts
I read it all, just kept some......

So, as a "gear head" you'll know what I'm about to tell ya...... NEVER BUY THE FIRST YEAR OF A NEW CAR OR GENERATION. You really want to be the "tester" for the manufacture? If you're still set on a NEW Bronco, give it a year or 2 to get the bugs out. Then see if your attitude (yea, yours) has changed about this. You may still want it.... EVEN MORE!
A lot of truth to all that if money is a big factor (and for me I guess that would rank pretty high).

But on the other hand if you can afford to take a chance and really, really have been chomping at the bit to get the new Bronco (that was an unintentional horse pun btw), there is some intrinsic value in having one of the first year releases before you start seeing them everywhere you go. If it turns out to be a dud then you can dump it and go in a different direction or upgrade to the second year model as long as you can afford it.

·
Registered
Mine 2017 2.5 Outback Premium Mortegi MR117 Pirelli Scorpions / Wife's 2020 Impreza Hatchback Sport
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
17SOBL, yes. I agree. However right now I plan to just play with the outback. It does all I need. Started ordering some bells and whistles for it today to give me something to do with it, besides drive it.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Danver, Not really needing to own the bronco. My point was I have been jonesing for a pure Offroad vehicle again. And then the bronco was released... adding fire to my smoldering desires. The point of my story was to say that the Outback really did everything I need. but I had forgotten that, at least until I started cleaning my stuff out of it and enjoyed all the memories. I will be keeping it for now. Thanks so much for the reply though... It is good to think through these things

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
3,972 Posts
Danver, Not really needing to own the bronco. My point was I have been jonesing for a pure Offroad vehicle again. And then the bronco was released... adding fire to my smoldering desires. The point of my story was to say that the Outback really did everything I need. but I had forgotten that, at least until I started cleaning my stuff out of it and enjoyed all the memories. I will be keeping it for now. Thanks so much for the reply though... It is good to think through these things
I've been excited about the return of the Bronco since I first heard rumors of Ford bringing it back. At that time it probably would have fit pretty well into what I wanted and needed and I would have seriously considered buying one. But in the years it took to become a reality my wants and needs in a vehicle have changed, and now my Outback fills those things pretty well and there aren't any great contenders to consider replacing it with. While I'm pretty pleased with the final product of the new Bronco it isn't something that works for me right now. It will probably continue that way until I retire in 7+ years and after that I might have to go in a different direction as far as vehicles go. I don't know if I can keep my current Outback that long but I am seriously considering doing so. That would make the most financial sense for me but I might get the bug to update before then. At my current pace of about 8,000 miles/year I'm sure it is quite possible to do so.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wife and I jumped in the Outback this morning and did a 200+ mile loop through the Ouachita National Forest. Saw lots of jeeps and Tacoma's along the way that caught my eye. Marked a few dispersed campsites in my gps, and a place to launch our canoe to paddle out to an island, for wilderness camping on lake Ouachita.
We went exploring on some roads I used to ride my KTM 690 on 8 years ago. They were all eroded with 4 and 5 foot holes on the steep climbs. My wife is pretty adventurous... When we were dating 35 years ago I had sportbikes. (I was service manager for a Kaw/Yam dealer). She was used to wheelies, me blitzing corners with my knee down with her on the back, and high speed shenanigans. However today with the outback leaned over and pointing towards the stars, she was a bit anxious. LOL. She told me to hurry up and get a lift kit, and skid plates for some peace of mind on the trail. Needless to say the outback proved I don't need a Jeep to go where I want! No spinning, or skidding around all day. Only thing that dragged was my trailer hitch ball, that I forgot to remove after moving a motorcycle for my son.
Oh, Used less than a half a tank of gas too. What a great car.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Premium
319 Posts
I think you and everyone here should buy Broncos. Full disclaimer: I hold Ford stock. :)

I was excited to see the new Bronco line and I love it. I think they nailed it! My problem is, I think the one I like best is the most expensive one, so I'll be sticking with the OB for now.

Regarding buying first year or new gen cars, I was thinking back and I just realized I bought two of those in a row. Not by plan. It just happened.

My '86 Honda Accord was the worst car I ever owned. My '96 Saturn SL2 was the best. I still have it.

Andy

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Premium
319 Posts
Perhaps. I've sure needed a ton of parts for my OB so far, so maybe I should have some stock there too. Anyway, I can't afford Tesla stock and last I looked, Ford bumpers don't fall off. :) I just wish Ford had not dropped their 6% dividend. The virus shut that down.

A

·
Registered
2017 3.6R Limited with Eye Sight
607 Posts
Perhaps. I've sure needed a ton of parts for my OB so far, so maybe I should have some stock there too. Anyway, I can't afford Tesla stock and last I looked, Ford bumpers don't fall off. :) I just wish Ford had not dropped their 6% dividend. The virus shut that down.

A
FORD: Found On Road Dead.

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Pearl Outback 3.6R Premier
182 Posts
02 R1100S. 06 R1200GS
Nice! My List is a little longer over the years:
76 R90/6
81 R100CS
02 R1150RT
01 K1200RS
06 K1200S
10 R1200GSA (my favourite)

After giving up motorcycling, I bought our first Subaru - to own a boxer again I guess!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts