Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2015 3.6 Outback (green)
200 Posts
Current two-wheeler list . . .

1949 Harley FL (in boxes)
1958 Harley FLH (runner, heavily hot-rodded)
1964 Harley FLH (runner, bone stock)
1966 BSA Lightning (runner, my Santa Cruz mountains "sport bike")
1971 Harley XL (in boxes, first bike I ever built)
2009 Buell Ulysses (runner, fun beyond words)

Jason

·
Registered
Mine 2017 2.5 Outback Premium Mortegi MR117 Pirelli Scorpions / Wife's 2020 Impreza Hatchback Sport
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Nice! My List is a little longer over the years:
76 R90/6
81 R100CS
02 R1150RT
01 K1200RS
06 K1200S
10 R1200GSA (my favourite)

After giving up motorcycling, I bought our first Subaru - to own a boxer again I guess!
Not sure that I could ever give up motorcycling. Started when I was 9, now I am 59... I have a long list of bikes I have owned as well, but most were from Japan, England, & Austria, before I settled on the German bikes 10 years ago. I own a MC repair business so I get to ride them all.

·
Registered
Mine 2017 2.5 Outback Premium Mortegi MR117 Pirelli Scorpions / Wife's 2020 Impreza Hatchback Sport
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Current two-wheeler list . . .

1949 Harley FL (in boxes)
1958 Harley FLH (runner, heavily hot-rodded)
1964 Harley FLH (runner, bone stock)
1966 BSA Lightning (runner, my Santa Cruz mountains "sport bike")
1971 Harley XL (in boxes, first bike I ever built)
2009 Buell Ulysses (runner, fun beyond words)

Jason
Those Lightnings were great bikes, pretty fast for their time. I liked the one I rode.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
6,927 Posts
02 R1100S. 06 R1200GS
Nice! My List is a little longer over the years:
76 R90/6
81 R100CS
02 R1150RT
01 K1200RS
06 K1200S
10 R1200GSA (my favourite)
Can I play?

1960 Zundapp 250 "Super Sabre" (college transportation)
1967 BMW R69S (still my favorite of all the bikes I've owned ... see below)
1972 BMW R75/5 (a disappointment)
1983 BMW R100RS (a magnificent machine, but alas, too tall and heavy for my short, aging legs)

My R69S miraculously reappeared in 2010, near Boston, beautifully restored to better than original condition ... and with a price tag more than 20x what I had paid for it in 1967. I think "my" R69S is now in Australia:

Here is a link to my "hero story" of a very memorable road trip on the R69S, previously published (in two parts) in the newsletter of the BMW Club of Southern California: http://www.mcinnisusa.com/public/MotorcycleTrip.pdf. Enjoy!

·
Registered
2014 Subaru Outback 2.5 Premium
492 Posts
Jeeps are for sure a cool vehicle but I am glad you like to OB so much your sticking with it. They really are versatile and get a lot better MPG then most vehicles that are equivalent in off road capability

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Premium
319 Posts
FORD: Found On Road Dead.
Fix Or Repair Daily
Fifteenth On Race Day

LOL! Yup yup yup! I've seen all the acronym plays daily on the trading forums. It's down now, but Ford will rise again, especially when their current and future EV plans materialize. Hey, with EVs, there will be less parts to break down. HA!

A

·
Registered
400 Posts
Hey, with EVs, there will be less parts to break down. HA!

A
I doubt it.

What about the (estimated) 50+k lines of code, that will only grow with time? Honestly, I don't need my car to "reboot" @70+MPH! I am (honestly and personally) concerned where this (EV) is going. Got virus protection for your car yet? :unsure:

Waiting for the "you have to update your software before you drive" message? How about a "blue screen"? At what point will the SW not be supported, via the OEM and your car is "not secure". It may become illegal to drive an "out of date" car, because of the SW. I also don't think anyones "online security" for their autos computer is there either. Build it and the hackers will come. Want proof? Look at MS.....

Also, if you buy a car locally.... and finance, many dealers install a lockout device on the vehicle. If you miss a payment, you can't drive. It's probably still there after you own it and have the title. Security issue! There have been many complaints about this, in WA, since Feb or so, because of this CV19 thing.

/soapbox

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Premium
319 Posts
There are certainly less mechanical parts in an EV to break down. Many systems are eliminated. However, I agree with you. I never said I wanted an EV or even love EVs, but that's the way we are headed.

I even hate most of the junk on our Outbacks. I'm rather old school. I didn't even get EyeSight on ours (still glad). I can't stand the display unit (going bad since it was under warranty). I'd rather have good old fashion buttons. Not sure I love the massive display on Teslas.

I even ran into a bit of what you're taking about with my old 2002 Saturn L200. Long after Saturn was eliminated, the body control module went bad. I couldn't find a single independent shop that was able to program a new module. I had to go to a Buick dealer I didn't even like, because GM was the only outfit that had the software to do it.

Stuff like that is gonna get even worse with EVs.

A

21 - 29 of 29 Posts