Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a Gen 3 Outback ....I thought 08-10 was gen 3 so i was pretty happy to learn that 05-09 was actually a gen 3, closer to my price range. Anyway just wondering pros on cons to a certain year or anything to look out for.

I owned a 2005 Subaru Baja and I loved that thing but I got a family now and the outback lets me have my family but still have some fun if needed :) Of course I'd love the Turbo but they are pretty hard to come by and the ones I do see are 110,000 miles or so...which I know for a Subaru isn't horrible BUT I dont wanna pay 17k for a car with that many miles. I'll be trading my Toyota FJ cruiser in for an Outback.

Any input is appreciated!

·
Registered
2003 LL Bean Outback H6 and 2019 Outback Base
514 Posts
My wife has a 2006 2.5 nice car......it does " use" about a quart and a half between oil changes.....every 3000... I cannot locate a leak....need to inspect more.........excellent ride and handling....VERY " peppy" mpg is about 18 mpg city/highway...winter fuel mix.....YUCK !!!!
No HG issues, and hopefully will not have any...........but the 2.5 engines are known to have this issue...Still an awesome car !!!

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 i Premium
474 Posts
Subaruman, you may not have a leak. If your OB wasn't broken in properly it can easily burn through a quart between oil changes.

·
Registered
05 Outback Limited
15 Posts
I just got my 05 Limited about 3 months ago. It's not a turbo but I don't really see the point. The gen-3's are awesome cars with or without a turbo. I think in the long run it'll be more beneficial to get yourself something you know that was taken good care of, perhaps a lower mileage non-turbo.

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,435 Posts
I just want to assure you that at each and every stop light.... the XT turbo Outback really does have a point, and the point is getting there before you do. :)

You still have a good looking Subaru though, no argument there.

·
Registered
2006 H6 3.0R LL Bean wagon and 2000 H4 OBW
461 Posts
They are one of the best looking wagons on the road in my opinion. We have a 2006 LL Bean with the 3.0R. Very well designed and very well built, fit and finish.

However, it has it's flaws and one I think is pretty big. The suspension geometry especially in the rear. They went for more ground clearance per the US market without really changing the design of the suspension from the gen 2. It can cause a lot of problems and does. If you have time you can read through some of it here;

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...009-outback-suspension-faq-70.html#post521312

It is still one of the best laid out and designed wagons I have seen. But the handling, ride and hauling abilities I don't care for as well as our 2000 Outback with the 2.5. The 06 has tons more power. But the 00 handles loads soooo much better.

We did 'upgrade' the rear to the 04 struts and new alignment with weight in the back and this helped with any wandering on the roads and helped a bit with loads. If you don't do this it will be quite soft in the rear and loads will make it handle pretty funny in my opinion. It will also cause the projection headlights (another personal dislike of mine) to shine up and into the eyes of oncoming traffic. I don't like the abrupt line of light to no light, prefer the old school soft fade to darkness.

We camp and haul gear and load the roof racks on ours so if you don't drive with lots of loads it may be okay for your use.

This is just my experience and feeling of the two generations. If I really wanted this generation Outback, personally I would go for the better handling and lower Legacy or Legacy GT wagon. Yes, ground clearance for some is a must but there is a fine line between where a wagon becomes a larger taller and more clumsy crossover.

Good luck in your decision.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts