Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Outback Touring XT
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just kidding. You should read the manual. But every now and then I'll post something I find particularly tasty that I've found out by reading my manual.

Here's one:
If you have keyless entry.

When you approach the vehicle with a companion (husband/wife?), if the DRIVER reaches into the door handle first and activates the unlock sensor, the driver's door and fuel filler door unlock.

HOWEVER, if the passenger activates the door handle sensor, ALL doors will be unlocked.

[2022 Subaru Outback Owner's Manual] Pg 123
Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Car Motor vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

·
Registered
2022 Outback Touring XT
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Here's another one:
If you have remote keyless entry and memory seats, there are two positions which may be stored. These, of course, may be activated using the buttons on the door panel.

However, each of the two key fobs which were provided with the new Outback can each have a driver's seat position associated with it. So if you typically take the same key fob and your spouse takes the other, when you activate the remote to unlock the door, the driver's seat will automatically adjust to that specific key fob's memory position.

[2022 Subaru Outback Owner's Manual] Pg. 34

Font Number

Font Triangle Parallel Line art Art

·
Registered
2022 Outback Touring XT
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Here's another one:
If you are worried that you may ever accidentally lock (or intentionally lock, like when visiting a sandy beach and you want to avoid getting gritty sand in your key fob) that you can unlock your Outback using the unlock button on the rear lift gate? It has to be programmed with a PIN ahead of time. And you use multiple presses to input the PIN. So yeah, this is a bit of a pain.

If you program your PIN to be 1, 2, 3, 4 then you would press the button once, then pause, then press two times, then pause, then press three times, etc.... if done properly your Outback's doors will unlock.

[2022 Subaru Outback Owner's Manual] Pg. 124-127

Motor vehicle White Car Automotive design Organ

Font Screenshot Number

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

Font Symmetry Document

·
Registered
2022 Outback Touring XT
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's another one:
Your Outback's power lift gate has a memory position. Let's say you're height-challenged (my wife is a hair over 5', for example). Reaching the buttons, or the handle, to close the rear gate can be tough. You can program your lift gate to stop before it reaches its full height.

[2022 Subaru Outback Owner's Manual] Pg. 158-159

Font Rectangle Number Circle Document

Font Material property Parallel Rectangle Newspaper

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited
637 Posts
It will always be easier to simply ask a question and have someone else do the research.
Yes, for some it's a mantra!

Skru manuals, my Highlander Hybrid had about 6 books, and they stayed in the closet until the car was totalled back in November, never opened them once.
They're just doorstops.
Who needs a stinking owners manual when you got youtube? LOL 😁 😁
Manual Schmanuel, youtube rox - I don't need no stinkin manuals
Who wants to read hundreds of pages of manuals?
I have no owners manual nor do I care as I have a group of people right here that are so helpful.

·
Registered
2020 XT Touring
50 Posts
When you approach the vehicle with a companion (husband/wife?), if the DRIVER reaches into the door handle first and activates the unlock sensor, the driver's door and fuel filler door unlock.

HOWEVER, if the passenger activates the door handle sensor, ALL doors will be unlocked.
This is customizable, I have it set to unlock all doors when either door sensor is activated. However- unless this changed for 2022- the key fob has to be PRESENT next to the door being unlocked. So if you’re standing at the driver’s door with the key fob, someone can’t unlock the passenger’s door just by activating the sensor. They’d need to have a key fob too.

·
Registered
120 Posts
It will always be easier to simply ask a question and have someone else do the research.

The person who does the research will remember the answer, while the person who simply is handed the answer probably will not.

Me? I joined to learn about things which are not in the manual. Like what? The AutoStop Eliminator, Nameless catback exhaust with mufflers and strut tower brace, Perrin shift knobs, CarLinkIt2, Redline Racing hood struts, Ursini stickers, Crux Racing Chrome delete, Whiteline RSB, etc.
I joined to wallow in Subaruness but also for things like disabling the seatbelt chime, TSB discussions, insights from industry insiders, How-To-On-A-Subaru, etc.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
If you plan on getting a dash cam, my favorite feature I didn't know about is there's a 12v plug in the glovebox. It was super easy to route the dash cam power up and around windshield into the glovebox.
That is the adaptability for which the brand is known.
If you had a Chevy, you'd be bragging about how you only needed to take out half the dash to do the same thing. :)

·
Registered
'22 OBW
90 Posts
When you get to the part in the manual where it discusses turning off the auto rear lift gate sensor, let me know. Mine decided to open today while I was spraying my OBW off.

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Premium
565 Posts
This is customizable, I have it set to unlock all doors when either door sensor is activated. However- unless this changed for 2022- the key fob has to be PRESENT next to the door being unlocked. So if you’re standing at the driver’s door with the key fob, someone can’t unlock the passenger’s door just by activating the sensor. They’d need to have a key fob too.
This doesn’t seem to work on mine. I have it set to only unlock driver’s door, but if my wife (w/o keyfob) is near or touching the passenger handle, it will unlock her door as well most of the time. But not always. I don’t want it to unlock the other doors, so that when she’s out by herself, she needn’t worry in a dark parking lot that she’s unlocking all the doors when she gets in the car.

·
Registered
11,582 Posts
Just kidding. You should read the manual. But every now and then I'll post something I find particularly tasty that I've found out by reading my manual.

Here's one:
If you have keyless entry.

[2022 Subaru Outback Owner's Manual] Pg 123
View attachment 526895
there are a few threads on how, if the passenger grabs the door handle before you do on the driver’s side, and the passenger has no fob, and the car is set to driver’s side only unlock, that the behavior is as if the passenger had a fob.

seems to be repeatable with several members.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
15,396 Posts
So you're saying if you have it set to driver-unlock only, someone is holding the front passenger door handle, all doors will unlock when the driver with fob touches the door handle? I'd test it myself except I have it set to open all doors all the time and don't want to dig in my settings to switch it to driver only just for testing purposes.

·
Registered
11,582 Posts
So you're saying if you have it set to driver-unlock only, someone is holding the front passenger door handle, all doors will unlock when the driver with fob touches the door handle? I'd test it myself except I have it set to open all doors all the time and don't want to dig in my settings to switch it to driver only just for testing purposes.
well, technically other owners are saying it….

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Premium
565 Posts
there are a few threads on how, if the passenger grabs the door handle before you do on the driver’s side, and the passenger has no fob, and the car is set to driver’s side only unlock, that the behavior is as if the passenger had a fob.

seems to be repeatable with several members.
It‘s definitely the case with our outback, and frustrating since my wife would like it to open the driver’s door only when she’s out by herself. Often if she grabs the handle after I grab the driver’s handle. And I have it set for driver’s door only.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts