Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just sick of repairs on my Grand Cherokee. At $350 a pop for HID headlights, loads of electrical screwups, etc., this thing is a drag. It looks cool and that's about it. Coming from a Traverse before that which got a new engine at 20K miles under warranty among many other problems. Another piece of "work."

I had Subaru wagons in the 80's, a '90 that I drove almost 200K miles, a '96 for a while, and then I got stupid and bought other junk.

I like bells and whistles, and the 3.6 seems like the right thing, so a Limited or Touring at or below invoice which seems like 10% under msrp from all I read is my current target. I'm thinking of reactivating a club membership that gets the VIP program, or maybe check with Costco, or maybe the dealer will just lowball me! And I don't mean on my trade!

I'm open to suggestions and things to watch for as I dive in. Hope to be a member of the club in short order. I'm glad to see this online community. It's been a huge benefit in my other hobbies and pursuits when like-minded people gather in online close quarters!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,325 Posts
if buying new, eyesight is worth the get in price. not just for the safety benefit, but a whole lot nicer in crawling urban traffic.

I wish subaru eyesight was mandatory on big rigs. (for everyone on the road).

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited, Crimson Red Pearl
123 Posts
I tried Costco's program; was absolutely worthless to me. Sent me to a dealer about 20 miles away (there is a Subaru dealer within walking distance from my home) and when I got there, the 2018 Outback wasn't even on the Costco Members Only pricing sheet.

I tried my credit union's program first; their closet dealer w/negotiated prices was 100 miles away.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried Costco's program; was absolutely worthless to me. Sent me to a dealer about 20 miles away (there is a Subaru dealer within walking distance from my home) and when I got there, the 2018 Outback wasn't even on the Costco Members Only pricing sheet.

I tried my credit union's program first; their closet dealer w/negotiated prices was 100 miles away.
Great feedback and thank you! It sounds like there is varying degree of interest on the part of dealers when it comes to customers armed with knowledge. If it works out, I'm buying tomorrow. If not, I have a car and making a few more payments while I search for the right seller will just make my credit rating more perfecter. Yes, that is a new word.
GT

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited Eyesight - Remote Start - Auto Dimming In/Outside Mirrors
247 Posts
If you like the bells and whistles then getting the version/package with the 8 inch navigation would give you Apple Play and Android Play.

Other bells and whistles would include:

Heated Steering Wheel
Eyesight (Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane Assist, etc)
Steering Head Lights
Auto Dim Outside Mirrors with Approach Light
Backup Camera
Power Lift Gate

I think that would get you all the buttons and gadgets.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Onyx Edition XT
1,956 Posts
Just sick of repairs on my Grand Cherokee. At $350 a pop for HID headlights, loads of electrical screwups, etc., this thing is a drag. It looks cool and that's about it. Coming from a Traverse before that which got a new engine at 20K miles under warranty among many other problems. Another piece of "work."

I had Subaru wagons in the 80's, a '90 that I drove almost 200K miles, a '96 for a while, and then I got stupid and bought other junk.

I like bells and whistles, and the 3.6 seems like the right thing, so a Limited or Touring at or below invoice which seems like 10% under msrp from all I read is my current target. I'm thinking of reactivating a club membership that gets the VIP program, or maybe check with Costco, or maybe the dealer will just lowball me! And I don't mean on my trade!

I'm open to suggestions and things to watch for as I dive in. Hope to be a member of the club in short order. I'm glad to see this online community. It's been a huge benefit in my other hobbies and pursuits when like-minded people gather in online close quarters!
Good hunting. Let us know what you decide on picking up. I'm less than thrilled with the color combos for the Touring trim. The Forester Tourings, for example, feature many interior/exterior combos. I believe the Outback Touring forces you into one interior option (Java Brown Leather) and only 4(?) exterior colors. If I could get Black Leather interior with Magnetite Gray? I'd be all over that thing.

I'd also suggest you drive both the 2.5 and 3.6. I have one of the first "CVT" Outbacks in the Gen4 from 2011 that's been revised and retuned as the years have passed, and the 2.5 drives much, much better in the 2016 and 2017 Outbacks (haven't driven an 18 yet...) compared to the way the CVT operates in my 11. In my 11, the only time I really feel the engine surge for power is when I'm at highway speeds or accelerating from a stop at a merge point uphill, but generally it's pretty responsive although it does jerk a little more than I'd like to when you start to engine brake/coast when the torque converter locks and unlocks.

But, the 2.5 is quiet at highway speeds in the Gen5's. I was dead set on getting the 3.6 next time, but I'm still torn. They will probably retire the 3.6 and replace it with a FA20 or FA24DIT from the Foz/Ascent when they go to the Global Platform in the 2020 refresh, and I'm not sure I want to be the person with the new engine for the first year. My gameplan is: If I buy a 19, get the 3.6; if I buy a 20, get the 2.5.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had a good look at the Touring 3.6 and now just have to compare dealers to see if they want to
sweeten the deal. Looking good! Also thinking about accessories....

·
Registered
2018 3.6R limited w/eyesight Subaru Outback....sold my 2011, Subaru Outback, 2,5i Spt Pack.
159 Posts
... Also thinking about accessories....
I had all my I wanted accessories thrown in. The rain guard is a must have for rainy areas. The wheel arch molding makes the car rugged plus prevents stone chips on that inside 1/2 inch lip paint job wheel well. Bumper guard a must have. Helps typing your boots or shoes on it. The rear seat back cover adds a nice touch to your gear not damaging the rear seat back carpet. I use to use plastic sheets to cover that area. Trailer hitch...bike carrier or towing.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Touring
54 Posts
Just bought mine yesterday - 2018 Touring with remote start, auto-dim mirrors, cargo net, seat back protectors, all weather mats and side body molding. I checked the VIP pricing, and found I could do better by dealing a bit. Got mine for quite a bit below invoice.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just bought mine yesterday - 2018 Touring with remote start, auto-dim mirrors, cargo net, seat back protectors, all weather mats and side body molding. I checked the VIP pricing, and found I could do better by dealing a bit. Got mine for quite a bit below invoice.
My experience so far is disappointing compared to yours. I said "let's make a deal" and dealer said "let's not."

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,325 Posts

·
Registered
2016 OB Premium with Eyesight
534 Posts
globetrotter, did you search with the dealers on this site? Not sure how they are in relation to your location, but it may be worth looking into. I dealt with multiple dealers in Texas and they all were less than desirable experiences, until I found this board. We ended up buying out of state and could not have been happier about it. I talked with a few local employees of a dealership in town and they were shocked at the price, telling me "our owner wouldn't dare go that low, we don't have the volume."

·
Registered
1 Posts
First time Outback owner and new member of the forums here. On a side note, digging through all of these forums really help me make my initial Outback purchase decision - so thank you all!

Onto the topic - @globetrotter, if you are even remotely close to the glorious state of Colorado, message me. I picked up my '18 3.6 Touring from a local broker (through Heuberger). Saved thousands upon thousands. If you're interested, I can send you his contact info.

·
Premium Member
2006 wrx
184 Posts
First time Outback owner and new member of the forums here. On a side note, digging through all of these forums really help me make my initial Outback purchase decision - so thank you all!

Onto the topic - @globetrotter, if you are even remotely close to the glorious state of Colorado, message me. I picked up my '18 3.6 Touring from a local broker (through Heuberger). Saved thousands upon thousands. If you're interested, I can send you his contact info.
Or just go through me!! It would be much of a price difference, but you wont have to pay the Broker fees!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here's what we've done for our last 3 subies. I've never been a fan of our local subaru dealer for purchasing a vehicle (poor trade in pricing, semi rude salesmen). However, before we bought our first Subie, we had owned Fords and Mazdas (wife's grandfather worked for Ford, so we were eligible for a discount and no haggle pricing). Our saleswoman was (is) great there, and when it came time to to purchasing our first Subie, we were deciding between a '10 Legacy and a Mazda 6. After test driving the 6, we told her that we wished she carried Subarus. Since the dealer was a part of Michigan's largest dealer network, she made a call downstate and was able to secure the Legacy we wanted for less than the local dealer as well as give us a better offer on our trade-in (delivered to her dealership). Now all we do is email her and tell her exactly the car we want from the dealer down state (off their website) and it's about a 3-4 day turn around. I spend maybe an 45 minutes total at the dealership during the whole process, mostly filing out paperwork and just chatting with her.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Touring
54 Posts
It's amazing how many dealers don't want to make a deal. Had an interesting experience buying my Outback a few weeks back. I'd checked around the area, found ones I liked, contacted the dealerships and got quotes. One was from the "internet manager" at a dealership about 100 miles away. Her price was pretty high, so I said no thank you. But, of course, she continued to email me, and did come down a couple hundred dollars.

A week later, I checked with a dealer in the next city over. He didn't have what I wanted, but said he could get it from another dealer, and gave me a price that was significantly below invoice. So, I contacted the other dealers that had given me quotes, giving them the final opportunity to beat the deal. The internet manage replied that there was no possible way they could even meet the deal. So I put down a deposit with the other dealership.

When my vehicle arrived two days later, I was surprised to find it was the exact same vehicle I'd shopped at the internet manager's dealership. How one dealer can sell the same vehicle for $1,500 less than another is beyond me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I talked to a bunch of dealers and the price was just about the same. With VIP, it's invoice... about 3K below msrp. That in combination with the 0%, which saves over 2K in interest, seemed solid. I did call SOA and ask for a loyalty discount and they are emailing a $250 coupon since I bought a new Subaru almost 30 years ago that they had a record of. Hoping to pick up the new ride tomorrow. Drove it today and it felt really nice. Sometimes cars just feel really good to drive and this is one of those.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Onyx Edition XT
1,956 Posts
Congrats. I wonder how much it would cost me to figure out how much it would be to ship a 2018 Legacy 3.6 from @HeubergerMotors to NJ... I don't think I would want to fly out there and drive it back, as fun as that sounds, too tough with little kids right now to leave them for a week!

·
Premium Member
2018 OB 3.6R Touring
27 Posts
agreed

globetrotter, did you search with the dealers on this site? Not sure how they are in relation to your location, but it may be worth looking into. I dealt with multiple dealers in Texas and they all were less than desirable experiences, until I found this board. We ended up buying out of state and could not have been happier about it. I talked with a few local employees of a dealership in town and they were shocked at the price, telling me "our owner wouldn't dare go that low, we don't have the volume."

I live in Houston, TX and I am struggling to get the dealers to move off MSRP. This will be my first time leasing and first time I considered a Subaru. They push a nice lease deal, so its tempting, but haven't decided between finance vs. lease. Does anyone have a breakdown of invoice pricing on the 2018 OB's:

2.5i - $
2.5i Premium - $
2.5i Limited - $
2.5i Touring - $
3.6R Limited - $
3.6 Touring - $

Also for people that know the brand, would I be better of waiting till 2018 to purchase a 2018? Also how much is the Ambassador coupon? Is the coupon applicable to lease and financing?

Thanks for the help!!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
We just traded our '13 Grand Cherokee Summit V8 for our new '18 Outback Limited 2.5L.

I'm glad the Jeep is gone. It was just one problem after the next. The powertrain was just too complex and whatnot. I was literally expecting the air suspension to spring a leak every day.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts