Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has an idea on the importance of keeping the OEM sizing.. I want to get new tires for my OBXT, but don't like the limited options of the 225-55-17 sizing. I want to keep ride height and handling characteristics similar to stock.. What if i went with 235-55-17? It would change the diameter from 26.7" to 27.2" and would be 10mm wider.. would this really effect anything? There would also be a differnce of 1mph at 60mph (my speedo would read 59mph), and at 1000 miles, my speedo will read 9841 (which isn't bad for re-sale!)..

any thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
I'll repeat my respone from LegacyGT.com :D

If you use this tire size Calculator you will see that the difference in odometer reading is only 1% and quite negligible. The tires will also fit with no problem. The 235/55 being a bit taller on the rim, and being a bit wide for a 7" rim, may feel a bit more "squirely".

However, keep in mind that tires sizes are not consitent from brand to brand or even model to model. Just like a size 10 shoe will vary from one shoe to the next.

For example, the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S is actually large for a 225/55 whereas the Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S is actually small for a 235/55. As a result, if you check the actual dimensions on the Michelin and Pirelli sites, you will see that those two tires are virtually identical in size.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THanks for both posts! I found the same with the tire calculator, but the info I really needed was what you said about the Pirelli's and the Michelins being very similar in size. The info on LegacyGT.com seems to point towards a 215 width being the ideal for a 7" rimm, but maybe that's if your going to autocross or something.. Since ours already comes with a 225 width, I can't imagine it is a bad thing. I think i'm going to go for the P-Zero Neros.. From the posts on that particular tire, they sound great, and are quite a bit cheaper than the Michelin Pilot A/S. I'm only going to use them for 3 season anyway - our weather isn't nearly as dramatic as yours, but I definatly need a dedicated snow tire for winter in the northeast (spend most of the winter in VT and hate the idea of not being able to get somewhere).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
NasdTrader
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing