Subaru Outback Forums banner

Important - Potential Leaky Oil Filters

4K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  metric 
#1 ·
Please see attachment

These filters have been removed from our current inventory, If anyone has recently purchased filters from us please check the lot number. If effected please contact us with your order# and we will replace them. Sales@subaruonlineparts.com

Thanks , Benny

Attachments

#2 ·
I got Adobe Reader to recognize the file. MS Word 2010 did not recognize it enough to open it. It kept trying to convert it from Japanese.

Anyway, back to the subject matter - I think I will continue to get Wix filters which I use exclusively in everything from my lawn tractor to my work truck.

This goes to show that, even if the name 'Subaru' is on it, it doesn't amount to a hill of beans when it comes to quality and 'Q.C.'

Suppose this happened to be some kind of failure of some internal component that takes hours to get to, i.e., somewhere inside the engine, inside the trans and/or inside one of two differentials?

If this was an internal part that is in a car that is off-warranty - Subaru would, most likely, pay to replace the PART ITSELF, but NOT THE LABOR!

#6 ·
Pretty harsh, Saint J VT.

Do you think Wix would have been here on subaruoutback.org telling us all to be aware of a quality control problem with their product in the unlikely (but not impossible) event that there was one?

Do you truly believe that "...the name "Subaru"...doesn't amount to a hill of beans when it comes to quality and 'Q.C.'?" Have you had any serious quality control issues with your Subaru that we should be aware of?

Can you tell us why you assume that one manufacturer would be more likely to pay for damage resulting from failure of their product than would another?

Sorry if I seem a bit harsh myself; I'm a newcomer here and perhaps I don't know how to behave. I fail to see how such comments as those voiced by Saint J VT are constructive.

#5 ·
TO: Subaru Parts and Service Manager
DATE: October 23, 2012
SUBJECT: IMPORTANT- Information on Oil Filter Part Numbers 15208AA12A and 15A
It has come to our attention that certain lot numbers of oil filter part numbers 15208AA12A and
15208AA15A may have a leaking issue caused from the manufacturing process. The vendor has
identified and fixed the problem and added additional checks to make sure it does not reappear. All of the
RDC’s have sorted and removed any inventory that may be affected. We are asking that dealers to please
check their inventory as well and identify any of these bad lots and return them to their facing warehouse.
Please note that of these suspected lots the failure rate is very small but, it is of the utmost importance that
we know that our supply is safe.
Identification
There is a date code that appears on the side of the case and the filter itself. The format is as follows:
FYJJJS
F is the facility where the filter was made
Y is the last digit of the Year
JJJ is the Julian Date
S is shift (1,2,or 3)

Example = A22713

OK Inventory

Any Date Code starting with S1.
Any Date Code starting with S2.
Any Date Code starting with A2281x Any shift. Or higher Julian Date.

Return Inventory

Any Date Code starting with A2280x Any shift. Or lower Julian Date.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.