Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2019, Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dropped off my 2019 Outback Limited 3.6R to do fuel pump recall along with 15,000 mile service. Dealer gave me a like new low mileage 2020 Outback Limited as a loaner for the day. Same color exterior and interior same trim package as my 2019 here are my impressions so far.

1. Seats are way more comfortable. They seems softer, providing better lumbar support and the driver side pull out extension is fantastic. Why it’s not on the passengers seat as well is the question. Wish I could swap these for mine.

2. Heads up display is a neat idea for the lane indicators. I like it.

3. CVT software is much more refined. WTF is this not provided to retroactively to the Gen5?🤬

4. HU is “pretty” and they cleaned up console and center dash nicely. Also, it sounds MUCH better than my 2019 not sure if better speakers, better amps or more than likely both but it’s louder, clearer and better in every way.

5. They “smoked” rear taillights for you now.

6. Better, not great but better. I would prefer old school, 4 access caps to bolts Along roofline and let me choose my hardware but it is what it is.

Dislikes:
1. Stop and start. Useless, nothing positive I can say. Does NOT belong on a car! It’ can be disabled in software but upon restart requires disabling again which is ridiculous. Why Subaru? Why?

2. Automatic braking. Again, CAN be disabled but requires you to re-disable it upon every restart. Why? These nanny software settings need to be user selectable.

4. 4 cylinder. Yea, nope. As the old adage goes “there is to replacement for displacement”

5. HU software seems laggy, don’t like not having hard buttons for often used features.

6. This a $40k plus car WTF does it not have automatic wipers!!!

7. There are some useless cheap looking, gaudy, plastic made to look chrome ”accents“ just inside of the taillight. Disgusting 🤮

Reactions: paroxysym

·
Registered
2019 Outback 3.6R Touring
378 Posts
Dropped off my 2019 Outback Limited 3.6R to do fuel pump recall along with 15,000 mile service. Dealer gave me a like new low mileage 2020 Outback Limited as a loaner for the day. Same color exterior and interior same trim package as my 2019 here are my impressions so far.

1. Seats are way more comfortable. They seems softer, providing better lumbar support and the driver side pull out extension is fantastic. Why it’s not on the passengers seat as well is the question. Wish I could swap these for mine.

2. Heads up display is a neat idea for the lane indicators. I like it.

3. CVT software is much more refined. WTF is this not provided to retroactively?

4. HU is “pretty” and they cleaned up console and cent dash nicely.

5. They “smoked” rear taillights for you now.

6. Better, not great but better. I would prefer old school, 4 access caps to bolts Along roofline and let me choose my hardware but it is what it is.

Dislikes:

1. Stop and start. Useless, nothing positive I can say. Does NOT belong on a car! It’ can be disabled in software but upon restart requires disabling again which is ridiculous. Why Subaru? Why?

2. Automatic braking. Again, CAN be disabled but requires you to re-disable it upon every restart. Why? These nanny software settings need to be user selectable.

4. 4 cylinder. Yea, nope. As the old adage goes “there is to replacement for displacement”

5. HU software seems laggy, don’t like not having hard buttons for often used features.

6. This a $40k plus car WTF does it not have automatic wipers!!!

7. There are some useless cheap looking, gaudy, plastic made to look chrome ”accents“ just inside of the taillight. Disgusting
Agree with the seats, are better in 2020, however my CVT is very smooth and fine, i like 3.6 CVT better then XT turbo with CVT.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Dislikes:

Yup. Either I buy my 2019 or I'm done with the brand.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
3,972 Posts
Yup. Either I buy my 2019 or I'm done with the brand.
All cars will have it eventually. Especially when they are all electric. Start/stop is kind of hard to avoid with electric.

·
Registered
2019 Outback 3.6R Touring
378 Posts
All cars will have it eventually. Especially when they are all electric. Start/stop is kind of hard to avoid with electric.
Right, but electric cars are not restarting a combustion engine, huge difference. In addition, the electric cars have so much torque from 0 it is scary... no delays there when the light changes.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
The ONLY thing I would want in my 2019 outback limited is LANE CENTERING.... LKA is not ready for prime time...

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
In case someone in this thread isn't aware, a $99.00 device is available for the 2020 outback to permanently turn off start/stop. It's unfortunate that one has to pay extra to be able to shut it off permanently, but thank goodness at least it's available.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
In case someone in this thread isn't aware, a $99.00 device is available for the 2020 outback to permanently turn off start/stop. It's unfortunate that one has to pay extra to be able to shut it off permanently, but thank goodness at least it's available.
Is that the one that stays plugged in to the OBDII port? Not that I have a '20 anyway but that wouldn't work for me because I wouldn't want to give up my Scangauge II.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Is that the one that stays plugged in to the OBDII port? Not that I have a '20 anyway but that wouldn't work for me because I wouldn't want to give up my Scangauge II.
This one plugs into the eyesight harness in the headliner so the OBDII port is still available.

An installation video can be seen here:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the start/stop on my wife's 19 Highlander... not my favorite thing. It has a disable button that must be pushed each time the car is started. After a while you get used to pushing that button when starting the car. It's not such a problem now. You'll be OK after awhile.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
This one plugs into the eyesight harness in the headliner so the OBDII port is still available.

An installation video can be seen here:

Cool. I was following some of the Gen 6 stuff for a while but once I decided to keep my '17 and not get a '20 I cut way back on visiting the Gen 6 sub-forum. I can barely keep up with the pages that apply to my own car. 😄

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium / 2020 2.5i Premium
2,026 Posts
I have the start/stop on my wife's 19 Highlander... not my favorite thing. It has a disable button that must be pushed each time the car is started. After a while you get used to pushing that button when starting the car. It's not such a problem now. You'll be OK after awhile.
Problem is that the off switch is burried in menues, requires a few taps. Not very convenient.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium / 2020 2.5i Premium
2,026 Posts
They are not shipping yet, right?

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT Magnetite Gray Metallic / Java Brown Leather
377 Posts
Meh. It is my least favorite "feature" and it can be annoying (especially in city traffic) but if you squeeze the pedal lightly then hard it won't engage as frequently. When I get 504 and the disconnect is more convenient, I'll evaluate further. What is more annoying is the Driver monitor going off-line whenever the sun is out!

·
Premium Member
2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring
59 Posts
I've had my 2019 Outback Touring 3.6R since Dec of last year. I specifically got it because of the:
  • 3.6R
  • No auto stop/stop
  • No driver nanny
I happened to rent a 2020 Outback earlier in the year (Jan or Feb) and, overall, I had the same impressions as the OP. I felt like the 4cyl was a little weak (not Turbo - At the same time, I'm not a fan of using a Turbo to give you the power that should have just been there from the beginning with the engine (meaning: I think that most manufacturers use undersized engines these days to meet CAFE standards)). I didn't like the auto stop/start. I wasn't a fan of the nanny bugging me if I happened to look to the left or right for a few seconds.

I also didn't like the huge tablet in the center of the dash. I like it better than Mazdas and Toyotas which have it lurching out of the center of the dash, which is ugly and a PITA to work around if you have your own GPS. Still, having everything as a "soft key" kind of sucks. It's sort of the difference between having a key to your home which just unlocks the door and having a digital lock that you have to reach into your pocket, find the app, open it, and then unlock the door. (I know many will work as you approach them and I've had limited success with that) The point being: It's neat, but not necessarily better.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
6,927 Posts
Why can't you switch the seat? They don't have airbags.
The Gen 5 front seats contain two airbags each. Don't know about the Gen 6.

Reactions: Brucey

·
Registered
16 Impreza 5dr Sport 19 Outback LTD
28 Posts

1. Seats are way more comfortable. They seems softer, providing better lumbar support and the driver side pull out extension is fantastic. Why it’s not on the passengers seat as well is the question. Wish I could swap these for mine.d up console and center dash nicely. Also, it sounds MUCH better than my 2019 not sure if better speakers, better amps or more than likely both but it’s louder, clearer and better in every way.

…. yeah, had the chance to drive one before i got my 2019 LTD, can't beat the seats of the 20, they are comfortable. as for the engine, think it still needs more refinement.... it is subjective but i feel there is a lag when you step on the gas pedal. the road test was done on a XT LTD.

Reactions: MiamiC70
1 - 20 of 29 Posts