Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
1. Stop and start. Useless, nothing positive I can say. Does NOT belong on a car! It’ can be disabled in software but upon restart requires disabling again which is ridiculous. Why Subaru? Why?

= C.A.R.B. & EPA & CAFE. It's an Emissions thing, "better get used to it." It's annoying and it quite stressful on starters, solenoids, batteries, etc.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Based on the title, I was expecting the OP to be doing his impression of a 2020 Outback, with sound effects like that guy from the Police Academy movies used to make.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT Magnetite Gray Metallic / Java Brown Leather
379 Posts
Yup, we have to get used to it and there is more coming. I have a close friend who has been in the auto industry for many years. He told me 10+ years ago, that unless you're buying a Vette or like vehicle (small production #'s), the bigger engines will be going away. Not too many 8's left, 6's are next. Turbo will be king and frankly, my 1st experience with a turbo was an 87-88 T-Bird and it was a joke. My XT is barely noticeable as a turbo and it is amazing how many ponies they can get out of 2.4L. ****, it's more than my 5.0L '88 cougar, '97 3.8L Grand Prix, or even my '73 350 ci Nova. Hey I love that torquey acceleration, but that era is gone. If you want more speed, electric will be the answer, but doesn't that E-Whine drive you crazy?

·
Premium Member
2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring
65 Posts
I think that a turbo can have it's place in the appropriate setting: Giving an appropriate sized engine more power when it needs it.

That's not what's happening now. Undersized engines are going in as "standard" and, if you want a "normal sized" engine then you'll opt for turbo.

What I find strange is the car channels on YouTube, most of them, seem to embrace the idea of an undersized engine + turbo to keep things "normal". A few haven't. Most have.

A turbo engine, especially an undersized one, is going to run hot most of the time because every action will require the turbo. It'll likely use more gas and have more emissions but get by CAFE standards because, as they test it for CAFE standards, they'll do their best NOT to invoke the turbo in the operations.

Again: Legislatures shouldn't be designing cars. That's where we are, however.

·
Registered
2019 Outback 3.6R Touring
378 Posts
I think that a turbo can have it's place in the appropriate setting: Giving an appropriate sized engine more power when it needs it.

That's not what's happening now. Undersized engines are going in as "standard" and, if you want a "normal sized" engine then you'll opt for turbo.

What I find strange is the car channels on YouTube, most of them, seem to embrace the idea of an undersized engine + turbo to keep things "normal". A few haven't. Most have.

A turbo engine, especially an undersized one, is going to run hot most of the time because every action will require the turbo. It'll likely use more gas and have more emissions but get by CAFE standards because, as they test it for CAFE standards, they'll do their best NOT to invoke the turbo in the operations.

Again: Legislatures shouldn't be designing cars. That's where we are, however.
Car channels on YouTube are lemmings. Have you ever noticed, the criticism is barely there. They are love feasts...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,356 Posts

Consumers vote with their wallets and the ecoboost engines have been very popular with the Ford F150.

The Chevy Trailblazer is an undersized 1.2 engine that relies on the turbo, but I don't think the 2.5 in the Outback is undersized. BTW there are no crossbars available for the Trailblazer. Chevy is losing their minds. Compare the Blazer to the Bronco. You can see what direction the two companies are headed.

·
Registered
2019, Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Consumers vote with their wallets and the ecoboost engines have been very popular with the Ford F150.

The Chevy Trailblazer is an undersized 1.2 engine that relies on the turbo, but I don't think the 2.5 in the Outback is undersized. BTW there are no crossbars available for the Trailblazer. Chevy is losing their minds. Compare the Blazer to the Bronco. You can see what direction the two companies are headed.

Most consumers are MORONS!

Reactions: outback2016

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
730 Posts
Popular yes, because that's the majority of what they offer on the various trim levels. Longevity, though, is lacking as there seems to be a lot of Ford F-150 turbo failures in the 100-150K mile range. This isn't just from online forums, but also from friends and local shops in the Phoenix area. Apparently it's about an $8K repair at the dealer, about $4-5K privately.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts