Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

I recently test drove an 07 outback limited with 80k miles for $12500 and an 09 impreza with 36k miles for $1400. Both impressed me. The impreza seemed to be a little bit more peppy and fun to drive and looks less like a mom car. I heard that they do not have as much quality as an outback does. I heard they have cheaper paint and interior parts ect. Should this be a concern? The outback had great aspects too like more cargo space (while not necessary would be nice) and more comfortable seating. Any input would be much appreciated. :1:

·
Registered
2007 Chrysler 300C built 5.7
396 Posts
Your assumptions are right. The OB is a more expensive vehicle, it should feel as such.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks! Also how does the Outback Legacy wagon fit into the picture? Is it identical to the outback besides ground clearance? Does it drive significantly better or get better mpg?

·
Registered
2003 Outback, 5 MT, 134K, HG changed.
184 Posts
The genius of Subaru (before 2010) is their entire line up was derived from two platforms. They just bolt on different bodies, suspension, and engines to make their different car models.

The smaller platform gives:
-Impreza / WRX / STI
-Forester / Forester XT
-Outback Sport (this one confuses people)

The larger platform:
-Legacy / Legacy GT sedan & wagon
-Outback / Outback XT / sedan & wagon
-Baja (discontinued)
-Tribecca (discontinued)

Anything bearing the "Outback" moniker means it has higher, softer suspension, just as you deduced. The Legacy will be more taut and sporty for the road.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
The legacy wagon had one less turn to full lock on the steering compared to the outback which made it a tad more zippy feeling and the suspension on the legacy is 100% road focused they drive exceptionally well on the pavement and are actually a bit scrappy in stock form compared to other street focused cars in the same general model range.

They do just fine in snow and dirt roads they just lack the couple of inches of clearance for curb hopping and bouncing through rutted out dirt roads.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah the legacy wagons seems pretty awesome. I gotta go try one. Too bad they're so hard to find. The newer ones look sick too. Hopefully they'll come back to the US one day

·
Registered
2010 2.5 Ltd. 2009 OBS
138 Posts
i have a 2009 impreza outback sport and and outback.

with the longer wheel base, it really changes the way it drives.

impreza, like you said drives and handles more peppy if you can call it that.
the road visibility is excellent and you can see nearly to the front of your hood depending on how upright you drive. Materials seem as though they are of better quality in an outback but if you compare apples to apples (base model impreza seats and interior to base model outback seat and interior) i really can't tell the difference in quality. (didn't notice a difference in stitching quality, plastic planel grades, buttons and general fit of parts on the dash).

outback, has more room, it's longer and drives more grown up. You obviously feel the extra weight when you drive and if you take a quick turn around a corner, you'll feel more of that body roll (due to higher clearance). You might find slightly better parking with the impreza though in a city.

Paint quality is the same on both vehicles, i have just as many road chips on outback as i have on the impreza.

difference for me really came down to price, longer wheel base, and more space. Sometimes we take the impreza and pack it in a bit tighter just to know that we can and for the extra long days away from home, we take the outback for the extra space and ground clearance.

Ric

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have a 2011 Outback 3.6 Premium, and a 2012 Impreza "wagon". There is really no comparison of the two. The Outback is much more powerful (with the 6 cyl. engine), much smoother, quieter, more comfortable and superior in almost every way. The one feature the Impreza has over the Outback is a setting on the audio system whereby I can use Bluetooth to wirelessly play music on my smartphone through the car's speakers. The Impreza gets much better gas mileage as well, about 26 city and 34 highway. Supposedly the 2012 Impreza is the highest mpg of any all wheel drive car sold in the U.S.A. I spent almost exactly $10K less on the Impreza, but sometimes I think I should just have gone for a second Outback instead.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts