Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m in a bit of a dilemma, I thought I was dead set on a 2020 Forester touring. I had to order it and it will be here by the middle of December. Unfortunately, I got a little curious and test drove a new 2020 outback limited fully loaded. Which coincidentally has the same features as the touring Forester for about the same price. Has anybody else been through this situation, and what made you choose one over the other?

Also, on the outback with the large infotainment system, if you are using Apple CarPlay, do you still have easy access to the radio or do you have to navigate a bunch of screens?

if any of this has already been addressed could someone please point me in the direction of that thread, I have tried searching but apparently my search abilities are a bit lacking

·
Registered
2020 Black Subaru Outback Touring XT
9 Posts
I was in the dilemma between an Ascent and Outback. Before that even became a thing, I test drove the Forester, as much as I liked it, I feel the Outback is more refined and fast with the turbo engine. So, I did the dreadful deed and test drove an ascent. Loved it, but it came down to size and gas consumption. I just picked up black Touring XT tonight and can safely say you can easily navigate the radio with Apple car play on..the radio sits at the bottom half of your screen.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was in the dilemma between an Ascent and Outback. Before that even became a thing, I test drove the Forester, as much as I liked it, I feel the Outback is more refined and fast with the turbo engine. So, I did the dreadful deed and test drove an ascent. Loved it, but it came down to size and gas consumption. I just picked up black Touring XT tonight and can safely say you can easily navigate the radio with Apple car play on..the radio sits at the bottom half of your screen.
I am really all about the MPG. My 19 Santa Fe had a small 4cylinder. 185hp. I didn’t have any complaints. My current car, a 19’ Mustang GT, I will definitely miss the sound. Lol

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
734 Posts
I am really all about the MPG. My 19 Santa Fe had a small 4cylinder. 185hp. I didn’t have any complaints. My current car, a 19’ Mustang GT, I will definitely miss the sound. Lol
My 19 Forester Touring is very nice and if you don't want the turbo and want something more analog vs digital get the Forester. S/S button and seat heater button with big control knobs are better IMO than 11.6 Outback screen. To be honest MPG will almost be identical perhaps the Forester will be a little better. The seats are a touch more comfortable in the Outback but the Forester seems to have better handling probably due to it's shorter wheelbase. Visibility is better in the Forester. The Outback probably is slightly quieter especially in limited XT or touring XT trim with side acoustical glass. Both are great cars and built on the same chassis from the Impreza to the Ascent

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited, No Eyesight, No Navigation
2,388 Posts
2020 Forester likes = more upright windshield and seating, better vision overall, shorter wheel base, more analog headunit

2020 Outback likes = longer cargo area for sleeping

On both cars, I would get the non-turbo. I just got back from the snow in my 2018 OB 2.5. I had no issues with power whatsoever. The resort had a bunch of Crosstreks and 2.5 Outbacks. The real world says the non-turbo is fine.

·
Registered
54 Posts
We didn't consider the Forester simply because of low tow rating. Since it has the same drive-train and about the same vehicle weight as the 4-cylinder Outback, this is a mystery -- especially since I understand that the Outback and Forester have the same (even higher) tow ratings in Europe. But it is what it is -- 1500# wasn't going to cut it for us. Even without that, though, we'd have bought the Outback -- for us, longer is better than taller (extra legroom is more useful than extra headroom).

·
Registered
182 Posts
My wife has a 2018 Forester Ltd 2.5 and loves it due to the aforementioned handling, seating position and visibility (sunroof is very large). She rarely takes it on the expressway or for long road trips, so it’s a great runabout for daily driving.

I drive a 2017 OB 3.6R and love it due to its huge cargo area (bigger than my former BMW X5), and longer wheelbase which gives it much better comfort on long road trips. We take my OB on a couple of long road trips a year and I also have a 25 mile all-highway daily commute, so I am an OB lover.

One other thought, our daughter has a 2014 Forester and loves it due to the Height of the rear door entry which makes threading a two year old into a car seat much easier

So my thinking is it depends what your going to use your car for, and what’s most important to you in your daily driving needs. Hope this helps ...

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
All depends on your needs and likes.

I owned an OB and my wife owns a Forester. My wife hated the seating position in the OB and I hate the seating position in the Forester. She also thought the OB was too big.

If you have senior family members to be concerned about, the Forester is definitely easier to enter and exit.

MPG will be about the same between both vehicles.

OB has a bigger cargo area if you have the need for a bit more space.

If you like driving the Mustang GT, you will quickly tire of either Subaru. They are practical but not much fun.
Check out the Edge or Explorer ST.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I much prefer the smaller screen and physical knobs and buttons of the Forester.

The seats in the Outback are much more comfortable. Neither my wife, or I, like the seats in out current Forester Touring or the new one. They are relatively hard and uncomfortable.

We ordered an Outback as the Forester was too cramped with two kids and their backpacks for school. it was also really tight packing luggage for four people.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I found this very helpful.
Two good choices.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
That comparison is just OK. There was no discussion of headunits. Some pics of the interiors are from 2015 or 2016. It makes me wonder what else is missing from the comparison. They need to update their stuff fully and stop being lazy.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (me) 2016 Outback 2.5i Limited with EyeSight (Spouse's Vehicle) 2011 Outback 2.5i Limited (daughter's ride)
334 Posts
If comes down to which model will better fit YOUR personal needs and comfort. These two vehicles "feel" different. Only you can decide. Personally, I'd favor the Outback Touring over the Forrester Touring because I'm more comfortable in the Outback.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 50th Anniversary 2.5
19 Posts
That comparison is just OK. It looks like they just changed the title to say 2020. There was no discussion of headunits. Also, the pics of the interiors are from 2015 or 2016. It makes me wonder what else is missing from the comparison. They need to update their stuff and stop being lazy.
Lol, it shows the dimension differences side by side, just trying to help. It isn’t perfect but a good visual.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Lol, it shows the dimension differences side by side, just trying to help. It isn’t perfect but a good visual.

I know you are just trying to help, but it is definitely important to point out the issues with that comparison. A new customer would not be able to notice the issues.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I was looking to get a new Forester or Outback these last couple months and I eliminated Forester right away for two reasons: 1) its being underpowered..... Slow acceleration, not great for passing, etc.. All the reviews point to that.....and 2) I really wanted to pull a small trailer behind it, and 1500 lb towing capacity wouldn't cut it for me.

Fwiw: I know lots of people with Foresters and all of them are happy with it. I went with the Outback because of greatly increased towing capacity, lots of cargo space, more power, and some features which will be really good off-road. Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT
116 Posts
I won't make a recommendation as picking a car is like picking a significant other. Everybody has different wants, needs and quirks.
That said, I will offer a couple of thoughts that may help YOU decide:
1) Make a list of what you really want. Must haves and nice to haves. Then score both vehicles against that list.
2) Try to test drive both (in the right trim packages) in the same day ( or as closely spaced as you can.) The subtleties of drive feel and personal fit of each will come out at you better that way.
3) 48-60 months of payments offer a long time to regret or revel in your decision. Buy what YOU like as your the one that's going to be living with it.!
4) If the difference in trim levels and or vehicles comes out to under $50/Mo then it's in the weeds.
hth

·
Registered
182 Posts
Planet Subaru comparison aside, one thing that Brucey pointed out is that removing the plastic lumbar device from the back of Outback front seats improves their comfort by a couple of factors. He posted a great how-to-do video ...took me 5 minutes and it was a remarkable improvement in seating comfort of my OB!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Planet Subaru comparison aside, one thing that Brucey pointed out is that removing the plastic lumbar device from the back of Outback front seats improves their comfort by a couple of factors. He posted a great how-to-do video ...took me 5 minutes and it was a remarkable improvement in seating comfort of my OB!
Link?

1 - 20 of 80 Posts