Subaru Outback Forums banner

81 - 86 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium
75 Posts
Good discussion. I'm looking at replacing my 2010 Legacy and had this same question. Funny the lumbar support thing came up because I ripped out the device in my Legacy too. It was much more difficult than shown here.

BTW, I presume all the "steering shake" issues present back in the 2010 Legacy and Outback models is now long gone history.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Good discussion. I'm looking at replacing my 2010 Legacy and had this same question. Funny the lumbar support thing came up because I ripped out the device in my Legacy too. It was much more difficult than shown here.

BTW, I presume all the "steering shake" issues present back in the 2010 Legacy and Outback models is now long gone history.
I had a 2005 Legacy and now the 2020 Outback and haven't had steering shake. Was the problem CV joint or bent axles?

CKE SSP makes urethane transmission mount inserts that dampen driveshaft wobble/vibration in lifted Subarus.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium
75 Posts
I had a 2005 Legacy and now the 2020 Outback and haven't had steering shake. Was the problem CV joint or bent axles?

CKE SSP makes urethane transmission mount inserts that dampen driveshaft wobble/vibration in lifted Subarus.
The problem was something about suspension geometry, wheels, tires and bushings. Basically, that first year after the redesign had issues on a small, but not insignificant number of cars. People went crazy trying to get it fixed. In the beginning, Subaru had everyone doing precise road force wheel balancing, and setting tire pressures to the exact PSI. (Which are not real fixes, IMHO.)

I think Subaru eventually had a fix requiring some suspension part replacements, but it took many tries by SOA to find the right fix.

My car had a very, very slight issue. Coming here and on the Legacy forum, I'd read comments and it got into my head. I had to take a year long break from reading anything to get my mind off of it. Eventually, I didn't notice it, and today, there's no shake at all (maybe things loosened up?)

It was just unfortunate that forum discussions were filled with the topic back then. Search "shaker" on this forum and you'll get over 400 hits. Some people had it really bad and ended up declaring the car a lemon according to their state laws!

Anyway, since it doesn't ring a bell here, sounds like it is not an issue today.

·
Registered
674 Posts
The problem was something about suspension geometry, wheels, tires and bushings. Basically, that first year after the redesign had issues on a small, but not insignificant number of cars. People went crazy trying to get it fixed. In the beginning, Subaru had everyone doing precise road force wheel balancing, and setting tire pressures to the exact PSI. (Which are not real fixes, IMHO.)

I think Subaru eventually had a fix requiring some suspension part replacements, but it took many tries by SOA to find the right fix.

My car had a very, very slight issue. Coming here and on the Legacy forum, I'd read comments and it got into my head. I had to take a year long break from reading anything to get my mind off of it. Eventually, I didn't notice it, and today, there's no shake at all (maybe things loosened up?)

It was just unfortunate that forum discussions were filled with the topic back then. Search "shaker" on this forum and you'll get over 400 hits. Some people had it really bad and ended up declaring the car a lemon according to their state laws!

Anyway, since it doesn't ring a bell here, sounds like it is not an issue today.
Interesting to hear about the shake issue. Kinda shows that Subaru does care and that when these things happen, Subaru doesn't sweep it under the rug. Yep - no shake. Not sure if you read the post from the guy who took his outback onyx to 137mph at a race track. He said it was smooth and stable.

·
Registered
2019 Outback 3.6R Limited with Nav/Moonroof/RAB-Rear CrossTraffic Alert
86 Posts
Yes it still is a Forester in name. Great visibility and great to drive . Add in a ton of refinement, the SGP and some more room and it's the new Forester! Your 2019 3.6 is great car how does it compare to the new XT?
I can’t compare the 3.6R to the 2.4T engine since ive never driven the latter. From what I’ve read about it the turbo provides plenty of power even in the Ascent so it should be more than enough for the Outback. It’s supposed to get better fuel economy but not have quite the smoothness that the 6 has—trade offs. Also the turbo lag is supposed to be nonexistent. It would be cool to test drive them back to back since I wouldn’t believe the lack of turbo lag unless I experienced it myself. I’ve never had a vehicle with a 6 cyl before so that’s one of the reasons I jumped at getting one before they were gone. I also don’t like turbos—more to go wrong—personal bias. Also my old Subaru service rep indicated to me that the 6 has “less issues” than the naturally aspirated 4, to which he was referring to the well documented oil consumption drama inherent with the old 4. Having experienced that with my old Forester going for the 6 was a no-brainer. I would still recommend anyone looking for a 2020 Outback turbo take a 2019 3.6R for a spin if hey can put their hands on one. Any leftovers at this point would likely sell at a good discount

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
773 Posts
My first subaru was a 2010 base outback cvt for about 23k. Early build(6-09) Great car, but looking back it had a lot of issues. Front diff had a leak which is part of the cvt at 7k. They replaced the CVT. Driver seat loose, and side bolster wore out in no time. I did have slight shimmy at highway speeds but mine was not excessive. Like I said my wife and I loved that car despite it's issues. Subaru has gotten a lot better especially with the SGP adoption. Yes the recalls are coming in and if look at the Ascent problem forum it's a little troubling IMO but I still think the new cars are solid choices. Drive the competition and compare. Still can't be them for the money.

81 - 86 of 86 Posts