Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Outback Wagon
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just thought I'd link to my Empeg install in my 2k OBW. I know a lot of people have asked about an aux-in adapter for the Subaru radio, and I could not find a solution, so I installed an FM modulator which gave me RCA inputs when I tune to a particular frequency in the stock radio. Since the modulator is inserted between your antenna and the antenna jack on the radio it sounds as good as the best radio station reception you could possibly get. It's good enough for me anyway, and it's an option for those who want to attach an Ipod or other line-in device without buying a new head unit or amp.

Here's a pic of the final install:

·
I need a fog horn, ,
2004 Outback Sport
212 Posts
Nice!

I'm too lazy to look it up, but is this one of the hard drive based units? if so, whats the capacity?

·
Registered
2000 Outback Wagon
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hvlwnc said:
I'm too lazy to look it up, but is this one of the hard drive based units? if so, whats the capacity?
Yes, it's the ultimate hard drive based unit. Find out more at the Unofficial Empeg BBS, or riocar.org. The Empeg takes two laptop drives, I have a 10 gig and a 40 gig in there, but you could put two 60 gig drives in for 120 gigs of music.

·
Registered
MY17 Subaru Outback 3.6R
288 Posts
Now that would be one very long drive before hearing the same song twice....

·
Registered
2002 OBW 2.5 manual and character from baseball size hail
174 Posts
Hey, can you re-post those pics about your FM transmitter install? I am trying to figure out what to do- get an FM Transmitter or find where the tape deck sends audio and hardwire a connector to an input for my MP3 player. I have the standard deck in an 2002 OBW limited. It has 4 buttons, CD, Radio, Tape and Weather Band.

If I could find a way to take power off the tape and hook up the audio output of the tape drive to the hardwired MP3 input (headphone jack), that would be ideal.

What are your thoughts?

Mods- Should I start a new thread?

·
Registered
2000 Outback Wagon
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
neoday said:
Hey, can you re-post those pics about your FM transmitter install? I am trying to figure out what to do- get an FM Transmitter or find where the tape deck sends audio and hardwire a connector to an input for my MP3 player. I have the standard deck in an 2002 OBW limited. It has 4 buttons, CD, Radio, Tape and Weather Band.

I don't have those pictures on the web anywhere, basically I installed an in-line FM transmitter - not one of the over-the-air transmitters which suck. I had lots of problems with alternator whine and got sick of the whole install and ripped it out in favor of this:

http://cushman.net/2006/11/06/subaru-outback-audio-install/

neoday said:
If I could find a way to take power off the tape and hook up the audio output of the tape drive to the hardwired MP3 input (headphone jack), that would be ideal.
This is probably doable, but a PITA. Your best bet would be to install a new head unit that had an aux-in for your MP3 player.

·
Registered
2002 OBW 2.5 manual and character from baseball size hail
174 Posts
hey, thanks!

Your link is bad.

try this

I think you forgot to delete the first http:.... when creating the link.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts