Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Just found this forum, so I hope someone out there can help. I have owned seven Subaru's in the past 13 years, so I'm not new to these vehicles and there workings. I do all the work myself on my cars because I trust myself and not the dealerships. However, on my 04 outback (2.5 - 4 cyl) while doing a tuneup, I noticed that the gas filter had moved (bad idea). Can anyone direct me to the new site of the filter? Has anyone changed the new filter? Thanks

DW

I contacted Subaru concerning my 04 OB and they said that the fuel filter was placed in the gas tank because it will keep the fuel lines cleaner (bull). The day of the easy filter change is over. I believe that this will be my last Subaru.

DW

·
Registered
82 Posts
The gas filters on the '04 outback/legacy/forester is one of the easiest I have every worked on.

It will be just next to the left front shock tower in the engine bay.

See:
http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/r/a/rae125/subaru/forester/forester_fuel_filter.JPG
for the location on a rather dusty '03 Forester. Location on an '02 Outback and '04 Lecacy is practically identical.

To change it, all you need to do is loosen the two hose clamps, convince the hoses they want to come off the filter (be sure you have a rag to catch the gas), undo the clasp holding the filter on, transfer the rubber sleeve to the new filter body, and install everything.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yeah, it's the '05 OB that gets interesting. The filter is part of the fuel pump. From the service manual:
1. Release fuel pressure
2. Drain the fuel tank
3. Remove the back seat
4. Remove the access hole cover
5. Disconnect all the hoses
6. Remove the fuel pump assembly

Don't forget to put the "NO FIRE" warning signs out;)

·
Registered
82 Posts
ouch... maybe I'll stick with the '04 and earlier for a little while longer...

*wheels begin to turn* So has anyone successfully transplanted an engine from a Baja Turbo into a Legacy/Outback? :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
Peaty
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing