Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2013 2.5 Limited Pearl White SAP
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First, I used to own a 2007 3.0R VDC and I loved that car and am coming back to Subaru. I am 6' 4" and I never was comfortable in the 2007 body style and felt very cramped driving it.
<O:p</O:p
I live in Portland OR and since I sold the OB 3.0R in September 2009, I have missed the AWD while driving in our liquid sunshine. <O:p</O:p
So here is the reason for the thread. I test drove a 2013 OB 2.5 Limited SAP on Friday around town. Did not have a chance to get on the highway.<O:p</O:p
Since Friday I have read every pundit review and for the most part, the 2013 OB gets rave reviews for what it is. A spacious utilitarian crossover that is not a suv or a wagon.
My concern is the engine performance of the 2.5 boxer tied to the CVT. This seems to be the common "reviewer" complaint is the 2.5 struggles on hills etc.<O:p</O:p
I know I am not buying a sports car with a V8 and can live with the gas mileage. The wife currently has a Mazda3 5 Door Sport that also has a 2.5. That car is a gas pig around town (16-18) but it is also a kick in the ass to drive as it is very snappy.<O:p</O:p
So coming from a Mazda3 that has poor around town gas mileage, road noise is horribly loud and small the 2013 OB will be a huge upgrade.<O:p</O:p
2013 2.5 owners, is the engine performance that bad or are reviewers being to over sensitive??<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,070 Posts
I think in this day of everyone looking for "more power" the reviews might go a little overboard. Keeping in mind that my commute is nothing like what one in the hills around Portland are (I have family out that way), the 2.5 is perfectly adequate for a commuter with occasional full-load. In the warmer months the MPG is excellent, getting better than rated on occasion and better than my previous 6-cylinder sedan was getting (by almost 20%).

What you need to do is test drive both. I didn't but I'm not at all unhappy with how the 2.5 is performing.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,322 Posts
Your test drive should’ve answered your questions, as well as from other points in your OP.<O:p</O:p
Mag reviewers will always be biased on performance, especially coming off the red 458 Spider they had last week. The 2.5/3.6 performance times/numbers are there for everyone to see, the OB is a ‘spacious utilitarian crossover’. SOA makes it easy, choice will be based on your use/as*/wallet.

I’ve brought it up Eisenhower pass no problem, but keeping on the right to let the Corvettes pass.<O:p</O:p<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We live in NE PDX only 4 miles from Downtown so we are nut dealing with the hills daily. The wife works downtown. When she travels and I drive her car, its a Interstate drive to south suburbs again no real hills. Only the trips to the coast or skiing have sharp incline mtn passes.

I am mostly convinced we want the 2.5 Limited SAP but find Forums and real owners provider a **** of alot more real world opinion then reviewer dude at Motortrend.

Thanks

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,567 Posts
Mazda3 5 Door Sport that also has a 2.5 ... kick in the ass to drive as it is very snappy.
The OB is about 15% heavier with 3% more power, so it'll be somewhat
less "snappy" than the Mazda 3 -- but not by all that much.

Looby

·
Registered
2011 2.5 Limited Cypress Green
573 Posts
I have had my 2.5 since fall 2011, replacing my 2.5XT Forester Sports. I have been to Bend twice, Tahoe a dozen times, and LA twice. Lots of high elevations, mountains, hills, etc. during those trips and the other 54K miles I have put on it.

Don't be afraid to actually use the gas pedal and you shouldn't have any problems with the 2.5 at all, I don't.

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Touring (Wilderness Green)
376 Posts
Don't be afraid to actually use the gas pedal and you shouldn't have any problems with the 2.5 at all, I don't.
This. If the 4EAT was still the transmission on these things, I'd be more dubious, but the CVT does a much better job of fine-tuning the power coming out of the engine. The 2013 seems to have improved on this as well over the 2012 (which still liked to jump a bit like an automatic does when it downshifts).

I don't find myself needing to hit the pedal terribly often (hills, crazy drivers on the freeway I don't want to be behind), but the result is very welcome compared to my old 2001 2.5L.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 Premium - Former: Golf TDI
454 Posts
I came from a WRX, then a TDI (with 240ftlbs of torque), and finally landed on the 2.5 and have had no issue whatsoever. In fact, the CVT mated to the 2.5 is as smooth as a 4 cylinder combo is going to be in my opinion having owned a number of them.

Like one poster said already, of course reviewers, who drive MUCH more exotic cars every day, are not going to find a base 2.5 that great. However I love the motor and I love the simplicity of it. More than enough power to get up to speed yet barely churns at 1,800 RPMS at 65ish mph here in the flat midwest.

Best of luck - I'd give anything for a redo to get the SAP on my OB!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Best of luck - I'd give anything for a redo to get the SAP on my OB!
Question is white or black ???:confused:

I want Black, the wife wants white. Its her car in the end but either way, the saddle brown leather is gorgous...

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
Yikes, I could see this turning into another 3.6 vs 2.5 debate. Let's hope that doesn't happen!

I recently drove a 2012 Legacy 2.5 and think the engine is MUCH better mated to the CVT than it ever was to the 4EAT. Definitely more usable power. Didn't seem to strain as much on hills as the old 4EATs did. I could easily see it as being adequate for the average person. Gas mileage was quite good (certainly an improvement over the 4EAT) from what I could tell in the 80 miles or so I drove it. I got almost 25 MPG. My H6 would probably get 21 on the same drive, maybe 22 with an insane amount of luck. I point that out because the mileage difference between my H6 and our older 4EAT 2.5s isn't nearly that large.

Of course, the power and gas mileage are probably a bit lower on an Outback than on that Legacy due to the size/weight difference.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited SAP
76 Posts
One year ago today, I had a 6-spd 2010 BMW 335i xDrive. But my girlfriend couldn't drive a stick and we're planning to move cross country, so I got rid it.

My Outback SAP 2.5 CVT is not a fast car. It's not fun to drive in the way my BMW was, but it's fun in a different way. I can pack up the Outback for ski trips and camping trips. I can take a nap in the backseat on long trips (gf didn't drive stick). It gets 50% better gas mileage on the highway than my BMW did and it's a much larger car.

I've never once thought I didn't have "enough" power to do something I wanted to do in the car. It has enough power to do anything a normal commuter / family / light duty off roader would want to do. I'm happy with it and chose the get better gas mileage than having more power.

I'm curious to see if I feel the same way on I-70 in CO at 12,000 feet when we drive cross country though.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One year ago today, I had a 6-spd 2010 BMW 335i xDrive. But my girlfriend couldn't drive a stick and we're planning to move cross country, so I got rid it.

My Outback SAP 2.5 CVT is not a fast car. It's not fun to drive in the way my BMW was, but it's fun in a different way. I can pack up the Outback for ski trips and camping trips. I can take a nap in the backseat on long trips (gf didn't drive stick). It gets 50% better gas mileage on the highway than my BMW did and it's a much larger car.

I've never once thought I didn't have "enough" power to do something I wanted to do in the car. It has enough power to do anything a normal commuter / family / light duty off roader would want to do. I'm happy with it and chose the get better gas mileage than having more power.

I'm curious to see if I feel the same way on I-70 in CO at 12,000 feet when we drive cross country though.

[email protected]@! Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,322 Posts
I-70/Eisenhower 11,200-ft, Pike’s Peak 14K-ft.<O:p</O:p
It’s what EFI is for but if there’s a problem through these CO winding roads, it’s the stock Contis.<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I-70/Eisenhower 11,200-ft, Pike’s Peak 14K-ft.<O:p</O:p
It’s what EFI is for but if there’s a problem through these CO winding roads, it’s the stock Contis.<O:p</O:p
I heard about the Conti's. As bad as the Potenza RE92 (?) that used to come one the GEN3 OB??

My first plan is to get new tires for the OB. Was thinking about the Conti DWS but have not even began that research process yet.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
I also come down on the 2.5 side. Trips to Tahoe(8000+ft) with four adults and a weeks gear we have no issues with climbing, merging or passing. I feel comfortable I can put the car in any spot I need to be on the road when I need to be there. I would rather spend the 3k actually going some where and having fun. Do an extended test drive and all will be revealed.

·
Registered
2012 Impreza Sport Ltd 2013 Outback Limited SAP
1,495 Posts
White is fine if that is what the wife wants. Looks good with the SAP brown interior. Conti's are OK. I bought a 2010 Limited in Black and then traded it in for the 2013 White SAP because the wife didn't like the black. Save yourself the heart burn and get what she wants. I'd wait on the the DWS replacement until you try the stock tires. Now having said that, I did not wait for the Impreza tire replacements as they were IMHO, not up to snuff.

We have the 2.5l.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
You won't. I drove the 2.5 and it was a dawg at altitude, in my opinion. If you don't mind crawling up I-70 at 60mph with very little passing power then the 2.5 will do you fine. If you expect to head up Floyd hill at 85mph and hold that speed with passing power at 75-95mph while you are loaded with stuff in the back then you need the 3.6 for I-70.

Honestly, even the 3.6 struggles a bit more up there than it should. I think the gearing could be better on the 3.6 to use the power more effectively but I think it was geared down for MPG.

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,567 Posts
If you don't mind crawling up I-70 at 60mph with very little
passing power then the 2.5 will do you fine.
Power = torque x RPM. So, if you want high-altitude passing power at 2k RPM,
buy a 5.0 liter V8 gas guzzler. OTOH, if you want exactly the same amount of
horsepower from a 2.5L 4-banger ...

...just freakin' DOWNSHIFT!

Looby

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not sure if it matters but Oregon requires that you purchase PZEV if offered so of course all 2.5 are PZEV.

So it looks like a White 2.5 Limited SAP is the next car.

Thanks for all the input today.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Premium
515 Posts
Black? Do you know what you are dealing with having a black car? If not, get real clear about it. Nothing is more beautiful than a polished black car, but are you willing to keep that up?

If you don't care that much about the condition of the appearance, it will be liveable, but you better know that black will show ever bit of dust, dirt, rock chips and so forth, and is very difficult to keep looking clean and shiny.

My last two cars were dark colors - not black, but dark green and dark blue. They looked bad after 3 days sitting out. Swore I'd never buy a dark color again with the first, then made that mistake again. This time, I didn't. Got the Cypress Green which I love, and does a good job of hiding dust and dirt.

With the dark colors, I had to switch to black wax, or every little chip mark and scratch would stand out in white contrast.

One would think white might be hard to keep clean, but it's not nearly as revealing of every imperfection as black is.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts