Subaru Outback Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 124 Posts

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 100,000+ miles
4,912 Posts
Yeah. The Toyota’s has an inferior “AWD” system.
so. Just found out Toyota is reintroducing the Venza for 2021...... apparently, Toyota realized they ceded that market segment to the Outback..... is this gonna be round two of the Venza v. Outback battle???
I feel like the Venza would compete more with a Nissan Murano as far as cross shopping. The appeal just wasn't there the last go around and I surmise most buyers were Toyota brand loyalists.

Say what you want about the Outback but no other vehicle has really made any dent in its sales for over a decade now aside from its Subaru siblings Forester and Ascent.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I feel like the Venza would compete more with a Nissan Murano as far as cross shopping. The appeal just wasn't there the last go around and I surmise most buyers were Toyota brand loyalists.

Say what you want about the Outback but no other vehicle has really made any dent in its sales for over a decade now aside from its Subaru siblings Forester and Ascent.
Yep....that was their original target market....... During the ad wars between Venza and Outback, Toyota emphasized styling while subaru emphasized safety and AWD. Toyota thought Subaru only appealed to the tree-huggers and granola-snickers......
they totally misjudged The market...... they dumped the Venza and tried to push the market to the Highlander..... the Highlander is now contending with the Ascent.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback 3.6R Limited w/ EyeSight
269 Posts
The Venza was too ugly. It looked wide and flat, like a Ford Flex... another one that never quite took off. ROFL.

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
Yep....that was their original target market....... During the ad wars between Venza and Outback, Toyota emphasized styling while subaru emphasized safety and AWD. Toyota thought Subaru only appealed to the tree-huggers and granola-snickers......
they totally misjudged The market...... they dumped the Venza and tried to push the market to the Highlander..... the Highlander is now contending with the Ascent.
So far the Ascent hasn't really contended with the Highlander. In '19, the Highlander outsold the Ascent 3 to 1.

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
The Venza was too ugly. It looked wide and flat, like a Ford Flex... another one that never quite took off. ROFL.
I believe the 2021 is more attractive. The turn off to some is the reports that it will only be available as a hybrid.

·
Registered
932 Posts
So far the Ascent hasn't really contended with the Highlander. In '19, the Highlander outsold the Ascent 3 to 1.
I did several events last year having an ascent with me...... new highlander owners were not happy after playing with the Ascent..... they well all over the Ascent...some committed to dumping the Highlander.... at one event, an Atlas owner was fed up with the repair history after 6-months of ownership and planned to trade to the Ascent. I wouldn’t expect Ascent to outsell the Highlander by volume just from the marketshare differential perspective..... I do expect the Ascent to take a chunk of Highlander sales from Toyota..... Just as the Outback did to the Venza......

·
Registered
932 Posts
toyota never really Marketing the Venza.... it was designed and developed in California as “the first all American-made Toyota...” Mr. Toyota put the Venza to death..... and he took over North American engineerIn and development for a time......he was that displeased.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 100,000+ miles
4,912 Posts
During the ad wars between Venza and Outback, Toyota emphasized styling...
I want some of what they were smoking...

I will say that the Venza did have a terrific interior and the best part about it was that while you were inside one you didn't have to look at that hideous front end.

Much of that likely has to do with production. For about the first six months of Ascent production the factory was operating at max capacity and could not even begin to keep up with demand. I know people who bought a new Highlander simply because there was no way they would be able to obtain an acceptable Ascent in the timeframe they planned to purchase.

The 2019 Ascent was the most in demand vehicle on earth until the 2019 Forester dropped and even then it took a few months for things to settle down.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I want some of what they were smoking...

I will say that the Venza did have a terrific interior and the best part about it was that while you were inside one you didn't have to look at that hideous front end.

Much of that likely has to do with production. For about the first six months of Ascent production the factory was operating at max capacity and could not even begin to keep up with demand. I know people who bought a new Highlander simply because there was no way they would be able to obtain an acceptable Ascent in the timeframe they planned to purchase.

The 2019 Ascent was the most in demand vehicle on earth until the 2019 Forester dropped and even then it took a few months for things to settle down.
the Venza interior was ok but it was cheaply clad.... the shifter was integral to the dash. lots of squeaks, rattling and other Noises.....the plastic panels were so thin they would mar, warp and dent easily. I actually tried it for my 2013 OB.

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
and yet Rav4 outsold Forester last year 3 to 1. Heck Rav4 outsold Forester and OB combined by 80k units.

Subaru has a loyal fan base.....just not a very big fan base, which is slowly eroding as prices rise and quality remains the same.

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
90 Posts
Yep and is big reason we went the way that we did, not a big fan of liars!
When I was shopping for my next car last year I found a nice Audi A6 TDI that was a part of the VW/Audi Emissions Recall. It was a good deal due to the recall and diminished value. When I called the dealer in Austin, a good 6 hour trip, to inquire about the car I asked if there was any additional warranty on the emissions system since the recall work was completed. The salesman lied and said there were no additional warranty (I knew he was lying right on the spot because my parents have a 2011 A3 TDI and Brother has a Jetta Sportwagen TDI both with extended emissions warrantees).After confirming this with research I called the dealer back and asked for the salesman's direct supervisor. I left a message and never got a reply back, but I do not like slimy sales people either and when you know a lot about cars and enjoy researching them like I do you really shouldn't lie.

When I was initially looking at my Outback I told the salesman that if there is anything he doesn't know the true answer to then just say I can research it and let you know and I even showed him a few things especially the lane keep assist function.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i
96 Posts
Take the rav4 and call it a day. Subaru quality is not what it used to be.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Take the rav4 and call it a day. Subaru quality is not what it used to be.
Toyota quality is no where what it used to be so it comes down to needs and desires. New RAV4 has plenty of problems with transmission and some people are afraid of the CVT... Flip a coin....

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,570 Posts
During the ad wars between Venza and Outback, Toyota emphasized styling ....
And they have actually succeeded in making the 2021 model even more hideous than this previous model - which admittedly is just another variant of everyone's "look big" approach to grills, bumper covers, and and air dams:

41 - 60 of 124 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.