Subaru Outback Forums banner

81 - 100 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium
7 Posts
Yeah. The Toyota’s has an inferior “AWD” system.
so. Just found out Toyota is reintroducing the Venza for 2021...... apparently, Toyota realized they ceded that market segment to the Outback..... is this gonna be round two of the Venza v. Outback battle???
My guess is Toyota wants a piece of Subaru's Ascent market as that's been a great seller recently.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium with eyesight
6 Posts
We are pretty set on buying an Outback but wanted to check out the RAV4, of course Toyota sales person wanted to talk down the Subaru. this is where my questions come from. He told me at 80k miles I would have to replace the timing chain, and then again at 160k. I can’t find any info searching google if this is true or not so asking you all of it is true or not?
If you drive in snow, please watch the following: Yes, it's a Forester, not an OB, but Consumer reports shows clear advantage of the Forester over the CRV and RAV4 in snow.

If the link doesn't come through, google consumer reports forester crv rav4 2015 models.

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
My guess is Toyota wants a piece of Subaru's Ascent market as that's been a great seller recently.
I don't think Toyota much worries about Subaru's market share in any segment. Heck, if they wanted they could put Subaru out of business.....just need to sell their 20% stake in Subaru to Fiat-Chrysler....... :)

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Shouting it with all CAPS doesn't make you any more right. I think Jatco made many regular automatics for Subaru, but as far as I know Subaru makes their own CVT.
Yep, Subaru makes it. Subaru uses a chain designed and made by LuK, as well as the guide rails for the chain. LuK helped to design the pulleys too... but Fuji Heavy Industries is responsible for the transmission.

All the Jatco ones are belts, so another difference.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Subaru was dropped from our list because of the cvt. Not really exited about the cvt in any vehicle so it was scratched. The 2018 rav4 was purchased with no regrets.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6 R Limited
35 Posts
Subaru was dropped from our list because of the cvt. Not really exited about the cvt in any vehicle so it was scratched. The 2018 rav4 was purchased with no regrets.
All depends on what your needs are. Wish the manual trans was available in the Outback, but the CVT is more than fine. The six cylinder engine, better all-wheel-drive, driving dynamics, size and style all led to the Outback over the RAVIV, for us.

·
Registered
11 Posts
All depends on what your needs are. Wish the manual trans was available in the Outback, but the CVT is more than fine. The six cylinder engine, better all-wheel-drive, driving dynamics, size and style all led to the Outback over the RAVIV, for us.
Size of the engine is not relevant today. Formula 1 went to1.6 liter turbo engines with some electric components that have 1000 hp. Trans gearing is critical. New CVT is unproven. Toyota has an excellent all wheel drive system. I trust the Toyota electronic auto awd system since it’s roots are off road. Size of the two are close and would not sway me.

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
There is very little histori data to support that claim. Traditional transmissions give me much more confidence.
Anyone that reads my posts, knows I am not a Subaru fanboy.....but....Subaru has been using CVT's since the 1989 Justy. One of the first American cars to use a CVT. They have quite a bit of historical data to work with.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6 R Limited
35 Posts
Ha. You’ve come to a Subaru forum to justify your RAIV purchase? I’ve said it before here, nothing wrong with a RAIV or Toyota (if you knew me, you’d know I am actually a big fan of the brand for a few different reasons)...

However, you are entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts. Your statement indicates you know little about Formula 1 as its relevance to this conversation is less than zero. And, while you don’t have any reason to distrust the RAIV all-wheel-drive system, that doesn’t mean it’s better than the Subaru one (it’s not). You don’t have to defend your purchase here, especially with salesman-like half-truths and false equivalencies. Enjoy your new car; I’m confident it’ll give you years of dependable service (y)

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
3,703 Posts
The car often credited as the first gasoline powered automobile built in the US had a CVT transmission. On its initial test run in 1893 it made it 600 feet before the belt failed.

It isn't clear whether the manufacturer extended the warranty on the transmission.

·
Registered
2015 2.5 Limited/ES/Moonroof/NAV Tungsten Metallic
92 Posts
I tested drove the '19 RAV4 when I trade my 15 Limited OB last fall. I know that the RAV is extremely popular but the appeal totally escapes me. I found the engine to be sluggish and loud. I also didn't care for the transmission moving through the gears so obviously. After the test drive I told the salesman there was no way I could live with that engine. He replied, "I'm right there with ya!" I've test driven several different generations of RAV's over the years. I thought perhaps I might like this redesign better. Guess it's just not the car for me. I purchased the 20 Touring OB. Not sure how I ever lived without ventilated seats! I'm very happy with the ride and handling, as well.

81 - 100 of 123 Posts