Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've been watching this board for a long time and I appreciate all the great Outback related information that is shared here! Thanks everyone.

I have a question regarding my keyless remote on a 1996 Outback. Up until about two weeks ago, pressing the unlock button unlocked ALL the doors. Now, pressing it unlocks only the driver's door. I'm currently on a roadtrip (just passed 130,000 miles on my way through Wyoming) and it is inconvenient for my other passengers when none of their doors unlock.

(This issue also applies when one operates the locks manually from the driver's side switch.)

Any ideas on why the locking system would behave like this? Anyone know a fix?

Thanks,
Seth

·
Registered
2000 Outback 2.5L
61 Posts
I'm not sure why it would switch from un/locking all doors to just the driver's door. Maybe you accidentally reprogrammed it by pushing the buttons on the remote or going through some crazy sequence of opening and shutting doors.

Anyways, did you try pushing the unlock button more than once. On my 2000 OB you push the button once for the driver's door and then again for all the doors.

On my 2002 VW Passat you could have it programmed either way. That included turning the key twice in the door to unlock all the doors.

I'm sure somebody else can chime in and tell you how to program it back to the way it was.

Good Luck.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Outback H6 LL Bean - Champagne Gold Opal
6,009 Posts
Hello and welcome to SOB.ORG!

For my '97 Outback, I push the "unlock"button once to unlock the drivers door, and hold it down for a few seconds to unlock all doors.
Sometimes it works without problems...sometimes I need to hold it down for like 10 seconds before it decides it wants to open all the doors.

It is VERY inconsistent...but I think it might just be the battery.

Have you ever changed the battery on your remote? If not, I'd start by doing that. However, that wouldn't explain why you are having similar problems when trying to unlock all the doors from the inside...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe the remote was changed between 96 and 97 to include the one for drivers two for all doors sequence. I have replaced the battery numerous times in the past and once just a few weeks ago. Operation is still inconsistent.

On the plus side, I've returned safely from the road trip with 5000 additional miles on the car. The car performed great! Over the last ~200 miles into town at 40-65mph, including two mountain passes, the car got about 33mpg, best I've ever recorded. Although I was consistently getting 27-28 throughout the trip.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback on the remote. I'll post if I discover a solution.

Seth

1 - 4 of 4 Posts