Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2013 falls in the time period of those with the faulty rings. However, it only used about a quart between oil changes, which I understood was OK.

In the past few months, it the check oil light is coming on with fewer miles after each oil change. I'm at 150K+ miles now, and it's at the point now where I cannot make a 600 mile trip without the light coming on.

Dealer has been fairly nonchalant whenever I bring this up, but I have not really pushed the issue. Time to change my attitude I suppose.

Any clue to what my options might be (besides another car)? Any other issues that might need to be looked at? If the problem is ring related, any possible recourse from Subaru?

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

D

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,316 Posts
Dealers have no incentive to pursue odd problems without SOA involvement. Get a Regional Rep. to meet with you at the dealership. Decent chance you can at least get them to perform an oil usage test.

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
1,040 Posts
Also check your PCV valve as if this is not working properly oil consumption increases dramatically.

Seagrass

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,764 Posts
read this thread, yes you are 50,000 miles past the warranty period,...but FB25B engines around that time had a consumption problem.

1 plus on the PCV and getting a new OEM one. (oddly not on a maint. schedule, but obviously should be)

use a synthetic oil marked high miles vehicles. (swells any rubber gaskets) so in your case 0w20 full synthetic high miles.

·
Registered
2012 Outback Ltd 3.6r
413 Posts
At 150k+ miles, not sure you're going to get much help from the dealer, or Subaru, unless the consumption issue began and was reported before the 100k mark, but it doesn't hurt to try.

As stated, a bad PCV valve can cause one of two issues. If it's clogged, crankcase pressure can build and oil will find a way out, either up the cylinders, or through the smallest opening, go so far as to create openings at weak gasket areas. If it happens to stick wide open, the intake, it's like sucking a soda through a straw and you'll notice a change in the exhaust at the tailpipe. - I'd replace the PCV and see what happens, just DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN the replacement, you could crack off the fitting on the head or block, causing a bigger problem. (Somebody did that recently replacing a sensor, but don't recall who it was).

If you can't get help and PCV replacement doesn't fix it, I'd personally have no quarrels about going to 5W30 on an engine with over 150k miles on it, to help quell the oil consumption. The older motors used 5W30 just fine, and with the possibly now loose rings, it might help a great deal. If it is a ring issue, high mileage oil isn't going to help, there aren't any seals to swell on the rings, now if it's leaks, or valve seals, yet it would help, but it won't help if the oil control rings are the problem (sorry).

If the rings are 'clogged' or gummed up, if perhaps low grade oil, or oil not meeting the necessary specs were used, a flush might help get them clear enough to get them sealing again. What was the maintenance performed? - Was it a quick lube shop, the dealer, performed yourself, and what oil was used?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It's been a while since I've posted this thread, and time for an update.

Got hooked up with a different adviser that took an interest in the increase oil consumption. They first found and repaired a leak at the valve cover seal. Helped a bit, but my check oil light was still coming on after about 700-900 miles.

Took it back, rechecked for leaks, and determined there were none, and initiated an oil consumption test, which the car failed miserably. Dealer recommendation was to replace the short block. Repair estimate $5000, plus tax.

Adviser told me to call SOA and plead my case. The first level person was little help, being I was out of the extended warranty, but did offer a $1000 additional trade-in credit if I were to buy a 2020 model, which I really did not want to do.

Requested to talk to a manager and got a call back later that day. That rep stated that they did review my case and vehicle history, which we bought as Subaru Certified Used from the dealer. Also, I'm typically a stickler for dealer maintenance, and this vehicle was no exception.

At the end of the conversation, SOA offered a $2000 credit on the repair and stated that the dealer would give me a discount on the labor. Out the door cost of $3000 for the new short block, with a 2 year/24,000 mile warranty

So we proceed with that repair. Sucks that this happened, but IMO, paying $3000 for an engine refresh instead of $35K for a new car seemed to be the best choice for us. Overall, we really do like this car, except for that pesky oil consumption thing.

Just got the car back yesterday and going through the break in period. Hopefully, that particular issue is now behind us.

D

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited. White, Sunroof, 2.5, CVT. Bought 2/15/11. Love it! Broke 109K, 2/20.
435 Posts
Sounds like a reasonably fair compromise.

All the best of luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts