Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, I saw this story while reading through CNN.com today, you might want to take a look...

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/02/24/tsunami.digital.photos.ap/index.html

Anyway if you click on the gallery of pics on there you'll see many shots that you'd just have to stand in awe of, although at the same time you could realize just how menacing the Tsunami wave was. I'm sorry if anyone feels disturbed by things such as this, please forgive me. I just don't think that there is a greater understanding or awareness of how massive the wave really was.

I thought this was the most incredible pic...

Consider that all those waves you see in the foregroung are the average ocean waves that you could see on a beach in Miami or San Diego, etc. Not really surfer wave though. Then in the backgroud you see this massive, almost glacier-like, wall of water...

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
Yeah it's strange, people normally think of a "tidal wave" as a big, curling wave you could surf. In truth it's more like a surge.

Also, before the wave hits, the water is sucked away from the shore (sort of a "mirror image" of the wave if you imagine the pulse as a sine waveform).

You probably heard that in the open ocean, one of these can travel at ~400 mph, take 15 minutes to pass by, and change the water level only about 1 foot. You probably would never even notice if you were on a ship.

They don't pile up until they "feel bottom" when the water depth is 1/7 of the wavelength (same is true of all waves in water). And there is never only one wave, but two at least or possibly more.

YMMV, every wave generation source is different so they send a different shockwave through the ocean.

I heard one interesting snippet, that there were elephants trained to give rides to tourists - the elephants disobeyed their handlers and went inland (with the tourists on their backs) several minutes before the waves hit.

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,417 Posts
Not much one can say in the face of those.

·
Administrator
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow! That is a lot of great info Alex! Truth be told, I never had an understanding of what a Tsunami REALLY is and to be even more honest I didn't even know how massive one could become until I saw these pictures today.

Throw me a beating when I say that I had originally thought that the recent Tsunami merely flooded all those islands in the Pacific. I had seen footage from a guy who filmed the Tsunami when it hit his island, the wave did no more than flood the beach and the area about 2 miles inland. He stood there on the beach as the water went through his legs (about knee high) and really didn't think too much of it. I knew how much damage this thing cause around that region of the world but thought it was more because of the poor conditions these cultures normally live under.

Now I see the REAL cause and understand the mass destructive power which was posed upon these people...

The_Lizard said:
I heard one interesting snippet, that there were elephants trained to give rides to tourists - the elephants disobeyed their handlers and went inland (with the tourists on their backs) several minutes before the waves hit.
No surprise, its facinating how certain animals can sense things in one way or the other. I remember watching a show on Animal Planet about how a certain breed of dog could sense when its owner was about to have a seizure.

·
Registered
352 Posts
That is an impressive photo... I was going to give a little tsunami lesson but lizard pretty much summed it up for me. For those that are interested, there is a site called wavesofdestruction.org (i think) that is devoted to video and photos of the tsunami disaster. I haven't checked it out much but my boss was talking about it not too long ago.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts