Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Outback Wagon 2.5l
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not like most Quebecers; I actually use my indicators which may have caused this problem. After I indicate and change lanes, I turn off my indicators by returning the indicator arm back to the central position. So far so good. The problem is, the indicator continues to click away as if it were still on #!.

The clicking is erratic (sometime fast and sometimes slow) but it will not go away. I can not tell from inside the car whether the indicator is actually flashing. has anyone else had this problem ? Would it be covered by warranty ?

Cheers,

Daniel S

·
Registered
02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack
1,572 Posts
Daniel--

the clicking on most turn signals is due to the flasher relay opening and closing....it's a circuit breaker which is heat/current triggered...when it gets hot enough, it cuts power, then lets it flow again once it cools down, repeat cycle many times and this is what flashes the signals. this is also why if your turn signal won't flash, it often indicates a burnt out bulb etc....without sufficient load, the relay never operates.

sounds like your next step is to determine if signals are actually operating when you hear noise. if so, it's likely your turn signla switch is the culprit (just guessing). prolly not warrantied on a 4 yr old car, and prolly really expensive. and elec components are often not returnable so be sure you need it before you buy it.

if everything WORKS properly, i'd just turn up the stereo to drown the noise out and ignore it.

bw

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Or it could be the plastic cams inside the switch that change speed with the steering wheel. The gears that wind in the switch that return the lever to the normal position after the steering wheel has turned far enough. I've had that happed in a past car. Brian

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
If you don't know whether the lights are actually flashing, try it sometime when you can see you car reflected in a store window.

·
Registered
2002 Outback H6-3.0 VDC
15 Posts
Check to see if one of the signal light bulbs has burned out. Sometimes a burnt out bulb will cause the relay to operate faster than normal since there is less load on it. Also, a bad ground, anywhere in the car can cause many strange electrical problems. The Subies have many grounds in the engine compartment. Cleaning them with sandpaper and new grease to cover, may be a good idea. Another thing, corrosion at the bulb socket will do the same thing. Time to check the signal light bulbs.

·
Registered
02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack
1,572 Posts
Daniel--

i think Wulf is on the right track here. another advantage of checking the bulbs 1st is that it's cheap and easy! given the theory of operation of flasher, i'm not sure how they could flash more quickly if there's a bulb burned out, but i have seen this happen.

i deal with lots of elec probl;ems due to my affliction with old German, Italian and Brit cars. Wulf is also right that 90%+ of all elec problems derive from bad grounds, switches, and electrical contacts genlly. esp if it's something crazy and inexplicable, this will often result from a bad ground and the circuit trying to ground through the wrong place or wrong wire.

·
Registered
2001 Outback Wagon 2.5l
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Indicator woes continue...

Thanks everyone for your postings. I just checked the indicators to see if there were any blown bulbs...none, everything works fine.

The problem was intermittent, but now it is permanent. When I change lanes and return the "indicator control lever" (as it is called in the owner's manual) back to the centre position, it is as if if gets stuck and continues to click away like crazy. Luckily, my lights aren't flashing at the same time or I would have some unhappy drivers around me :(

The only way to stop the *&)T!! clicking noise, is to move the indicator control lever in the opposite direction to componsate. This sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. Result: it's like I have a metronome in my car. It is really driving me nutso!!!

bheinz57: this plastic cam behing the sterring wheeel that you had mentioned, is it a big job? $$ ?

Thanks,

Daniel S

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Daniel, I'm glad I had an idea that may be close to the prob...The usual plastic cam/gears is what holds the lever until you turn the wheel back the other way. It can get broken or jammed and give you your exact problem. I tell you what, I had to replace one once, and it sucked rocks. And that was on a 1986 Dodge Omni GLH. I really don't know what it entails these days.

Maybe call a dealer and see how much the part costs for the heck of it, figure a way to get your steering wheel pulled and then fish around. That is if you feel comfortable doing the aformentioned.

Brian

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
EVERY job on my folks' Omni used to suck rocks....!

be careful to disconnect the air bag triggering leads 1st before you try to pull wheel to avoid exciting surprises....

·
Registered
2001 Outback Wagon 2.5l
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Problem fixed

Hey everyone,

Thanks for your help. If only Subaru dealers were as helpful as you guys. You rock!

Part #83118FC030 (Light switch module) was $115.00 and installation cost me $45.00.

If there were a nuclear war, only Subaru dealers would survive...

Thanks,

Daniel S

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
i think the only things that are effective vs most car dlrs (SOME subie dlrs excepted) are garlic, holy water, crucifixes, and stakes.....

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Daniel, so you had the lever replaced, or the internals of the steering column? Module, huh? Pricey. Brian

·
Registered
2000 OBW 5MT
97 Posts
I'm having the same problems with my turn signal.

The contacts inside the actual lever are somehow not contacting anything.

there is smoke coming from the actual piece that makes contact when the lever is depressed. ill post pics in a min

1 - 14 of 14 Posts