Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Picked up my first Outback ever yesterday and went to update Infotainment screen to 704, however the update said it failed while installing and now my infotainment screen seems to boot up, then go black, and all Starlink safety features have been disabled.

Wondering if any kind of factory reset I can do to the infotainment screen that could help? I've tried powered it off, even tried dealership mode but nothing seems to really have it work.

Booked a service appointment but hoping might be a more simple fix for it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited and 2015 Forester Limited
180 Posts
Hi everyone, Picked up my first Outback ever yesterday and went to update Infotainment screen to 704, however the update said it failed while installing and now my infotainment screen seems to boot up, then go black, and all Starlink safety features have been disabled. Wondering if any kind of factory reset I can do to the infotainment screen that could help? I've tried powered it off, even tried dealership mode but nothing seems to really have it work. Booked a service appointment but hoping might be a more simple fix for it?
This has been a problem for many folks doing the 704 update. Your only recourse is to take it to a dealer. They will most likely have to replace the computer behind the info screen.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone,

Picked up my first Outback ever yesterday and went to update Infotainment screen to 704, however the update said it failed while installing and now my infotainment screen seems to boot up, then go black, and all Starlink safety features have been disabled.

Wondering if any kind of factory reset I can do to the infotainment screen that could help? I've tried powered it off, even tried dealership mode but nothing seems to really have it work.

I have had a Subaru outback for 10k miles-- I appreciate all the information about the black screen, and frozen screens --mine has the problems several times a week which is annoying -- taking mine back to be looked at and hopefully they can fix it. Thank you for the people that listed their problems it has been helpful to me

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just got mine about a week ago, and only have 250 miles on it. Not sure which version I have, but I was driving the other day with car play connected and suddenly the infotainment system restarted for no reason. Has this happened to anyone?

·
Registered
2020 Legacy Limited XT
513 Posts
I just got mine about a week ago, and only have 250 miles on it. Not sure which version I have, but I was driving the other day with car play connected and suddenly the infotainment system restarted for no reason. Has this happened to anyone?
Rebooting of the system is common on 502 software version. I have not had it happen on 504 that my Legacy came with. Also having CarPlay connected makes it more likely to happen. On your screen -Settings/General tab/ scroll down to System Information. You’ll see the software and Map versions you have.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Rebooting of the system is common on 502 software version. I have not had it happen on 504 that my Legacy came with. Also having CarPlay connected makes it more likely to happen. On your screen -Settings/General tab/ scroll down to System Information. You’ll see the software and Map versions you have.
I just checked I have 504 and map version 17080

·
Registered
2020 Legacy Limited XT
513 Posts
There is a newer map version available but 504 is the latest software. Try a different cable for your phone. That has been known to cause issues including rebooting. But in general 504 is significantly better than the previous software. I’ve had my Legacy since the end of July and I have not had it reboot once. But I only occasionally use Apple CarPlay. The new iOS 14 software comes out today which improves CarPlay in many areas. So I might be using it more.

·
Registered
¡2020 Outback Touring XT con pantalones gigantes!
22 Posts
I've read folks reporting that they've experienced random reboots. Mine has lost the wired connection to my iPhone once or twice. Nothing system-wide; I'm attributing it to the cable. I wouldn't rule out a software problem.

... Wondering if any kind of factory reset I can do to the infotainment screen that could help? I've tried powered it off, even tried dealership mode but nothing seems to really have it work.

The "mega-thread" has a metric boatload butt-ton heapin' helping of information about the errors and how to resolve them. I'd give that a read. Sorry I can't offer a specific answer. My impression is that the software on these heads is sophisticated and a bit wonky simultaneously. Folks seemed to have some luck re-installing the update files. I'd try to nuke it back to behaving itself by doing a manual install of the "504" software off of a USB drive.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT in Autumn Green
177 Posts
While the 504 software has been a big improvement, people are still reporting various issues.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I did the update myself when it first came out. The system rebooted itself the other day while I was driving. It appears to have something to do with Android Auto.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium 2.5
4 Posts
I had an issue not with the system rebooting, rather, the radio stopped working suddenly. Everything else on the screen worked except for the radio. No sound, did not respond to any station changes, etc. I had to stop, shut off the car, and wait a few minutes. Start it back up and it started playing again. Is this a software update issue as well? I have version 502.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts