Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Outback Onyx XT
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Toured a bit of the west coast. Bought the car a 6 miles and currently have a little over 6200 miles and just wrapped up the first oil change. I've included some pics from the journey thus far!

Initial impressions:
  • Car is smooth, the turbo has been clutch with getting that power output on some of the overtakes and hills/mountains i've been on it's a big larger than expected so I'm still adjusting to the length/width of car. The CVT at times seems a bit laggy.
  • Really enjoy the space in car generally.
  • Haven't been able to figure out the seatbelt warnings in the back, it's a minor annoyance. The other piece is the belt tends to just tighten up even though i had leaned a bit further to grab something from the floor and then you'd have to take the belt off, the ringing goes off, just to reset.
  • Met another homie with an Onyx XT in Denver after I bought the car, nice dude. Hoped he joined the forum!
  • High-key I enjoy auto-start. Don't really mind it, never really in a rush and I like the car when it's just still. The part that bothers me most is inconsistency in length of auto start and at times I tend to adjust my foot on the brake which just then turns the car back on. That part is annoying
  • I wish the feeling of the steering was a bit tighter, it feels a bit sloppy especially even when just going straight. I think SilverOnyx added some parts and I'm also looking to do the same.
  • The body roll seems a bit aggressive at a 20-30 degree angle when taking turns at like 40-45 but it might be because of weight.
  • Gas mileage has been generally impressive. Compared to my old B5 Audi years ago, anything above 20mpg is legit. I've been logging mileage, octane used, and mpg per trip per fill up so hopefully I can share some substantial trends once I get a decent sample size.
Anyways pretty stoked generally and have been enjoying reading yall's posts in the various threads!

Modifications/Parts:
PPF up until end of taillights
Full car ceramic coat
20% tint match for front two windows
Lamin-X Yellow Fogs
White TVD 'Outback' logo vinyl
Chrome Delete (was too hot to install -- will install next couple weeks)
White LED Puddle Lights
Red Trunk Light
Thule Thruride with lock (potentially up to trade for Yakima fork lift with lock mounted one with all parts local in WA/CO)
Expandable cooler box
YETI/Nalgene big cup holder

·
Registered
2021 Outback Onyx XT
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which YETI/Nalgene big cup holder????

Also, one of your bullets drives me batty... the backseat seatbelt alarms. Put my pups or something in the back and it wants to go off. Because of that I got these:

Tikit - Seatbelt Alarm Silencer (thetikit.com)
This is the one that I got. Works pretty well once you get it locked in the cup holder. haven't had any issues with that. I have seen those tikits before but I was told that 20sec click in/out trick supposedly worked for the back seats as well. I've tried it a few times now and it hasn't worked. I may end up getting a tikit as well, thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
2021 Outback Onyx XT - Autumn Green
111 Posts
I'm jealous! I wish I could go on a long road trip, but I'm stuck on an island.

Perrin Steering Dampner and Nameless Strut Tower Brace (or SSD) will help fix some of the issues you've mentioned. I have both, and it pretty much tightens up the car well.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Onyx XT
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm jealous! I wish I could go on a long road trip, but I'm stuck on an island.

Perrin Steering Dampner and Nameless Strut Tower Brace (or SSD) will help fix some of the issues you've mentioned. I have both, and it pretty much tightens up the car well.
HAH! I suspect Hawaii has some dope spots to drive to tho

Good looks! I'll probably end up getting both as well after I get some wheels and tires for this upcoming winter

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited, Titanium & Magnetite Grays
1,385 Posts
High-key I enjoy auto-start. Don't really mind it, never really in a rush and I like the car when it's just still. The part that bothers me most is inconsistency in length of auto start and at times I tend to adjust my foot on the brake which just then turns the car back on. That part is annoying
ASS turns on, or stays on, when very lite foot pressure is applied. This can be used to your advantage once the amount of necessary pressure is determined. Also, the engine will start when stopped for a longer time period. The things that trigger the restart while under full break peddle pressure are not well documented but one condition may be when the battery charge drops below a set point or when A/C is running in hot weather and the cabin temp begins to rise... You will learn to adjust over a little time.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Onyx XT
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ASS turns on, or stays on, when very lite foot pressure is applied. This can be used to your advantage once the amount of necessary pressure is determined. Also, the engine will start when stopped for a longer time period. The things that trigger the restart while under full break peddle pressure are not well documented but one condition may be when the battery charge drops below a set point or when A/C is running in hot weather and the cabin temp begins to rise... You will learn to adjust over a little time.
this definitely seems like a a test-and-learn as far as adjustments needed to make it consistent. I definitely noticed while I was in Texas, it wouldn't work at all since the AC was blasting all the time lol

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
this definitely seems like a a test-and-learn as far as adjustments needed to make it consistent. I definitely noticed while I was in Texas, it wouldn't work at all since the AC was blasting all the time lol
To get the best A/C in hot weather I do the following. I don't hard data to prove the following makes a difference, but in my mind it works quite well. BTW, I have used this in very hot weather.
First, crack the side window(s) to allow the hotest cabin air to escape and the small opening for just a few minutes. Select the air to come out both the vents and floor. The idea is to use the vents to blow directly on the front seat occupants and the floor vents to fill the front cabin "tub" with cold air. Since cold air is heaver it should settle a little more in the front until it flows/cascades over the seat-backs and center console. Recirculate the air to max the cooling or maybe bring in fresh air to push some more of the A/C air into the cargo area. Seemed to work well when driving across the desert for me and validated when the "Full Auto" dropped the fan speed. Also, look for instant MPG display to go up a little when the fan speed drops while on cruise control. I have not verified this yet, but plan to on our next long desert drive.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
To get the best A/C in hot weather I do the following. I don't hard data to prove the following makes a difference, but in my mind it works quite well. BTW, I have used this in very hot weather.
First, crack the side window(s) to allow the hotest cabin air to escape and the small opening for just a few minutes. Select the air to come out both the vents and floor. The idea is to use the vents to blow directly on the front seat occupants and the floor vents to fill the front cabin "tub" with cold air. Since cold air is heaver it should settle a little more in the front until it flows/cascades over the seat-backs and center console. Recirculate the air to max the cooling or maybe bring in fresh air to push some more of the A/C air into the cargo area. Seemed to work well when driving across the desert for me and validated when the "Full Auto" dropped the fan speed. Also, look for instant MPG display to go up a little when the fan speed drops while on cruise control. I have not verified this yet, but plan to on our next long desert drive.
I didn't complete my reasoning so here is a little more. Once the fan speed drops after receiving this instruction from the "Full Auto" mode, I am assuming the A/C compressor is not running at max so will be watching for the instant MPG to be dropping a little and maybe some up and down.

·
Premium Member
2021 Outback Touring XT
246 Posts
This is the one that I got. Works pretty well once you get it locked in the cup holder. haven't had any issues with that. I have seen those tikits before but I was told that 20sec click in/out trick supposedly worked for the back seats as well. I've tried it a few times now and it hasn't worked. I may end up getting a tikit as well, thanks for sharing!
Nope... same issue. Tried many times to make sure I wasn't missing or messing up. Fronts, fine... back, still annoying! As for the Tikit's, they work well. Literally got them 2 days ago and have already used them.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Onyx XT
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nope... same issue. Tried many times to make sure I wasn't missing or messing up. Fronts, fine... back, still annoying! As for the Tikit's, they work well. Literally got them 2 days ago and have already used them.
Hah amazing! Will continue dig deeper in these thread to see if there's proof somewhere that the back ones can be disabled, otherwise i'll probably order these soon

·
Registered
2021 Outback Onyx XT
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've just about calibrated my foot for this after 6 weeks. I'm getting pretty good at it...
I have moments but I think I'm getting closer to adjusting, it just isn't quite there yet subconsciously

I didn't complete my reasoning so here is a little more. Once the fan speed drops after receiving this instruction from the "Full Auto" mode, I am assuming the A/C compressor is not running at max so will be watching for the instant MPG to be dropping a little and maybe some up and down.
I'll look to give this a try when I head back east. It is a bit bizarre given there are some extremely hot days where auto worked fine but to your point I think the car was potentially already 'cool' enough. Sometimes I thought it was when i set the temps above 70, it'd give the car a better opt to go into stop/start but that experience wasn't that consistent neither.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts