Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 2.5 OBK - I'm getting pretty poor gas mileage - thinking about replacing injectors... and then moving on to other parts... can you guys recommend any specific brands?

appreciate it,

·
Banned
2007 Outback XT Ltd
847 Posts
Aftermarket injectors are not the same quality as OEM.

Injectors don't wear out - they get dirty or clogged, or fail entirely (coil failure). If your car is running on all four cylinders, you don't have a failed unit, but they are probably not flowing the way they should.

Send yours off to a fuel injection service. It will be cost effective and you will be a happy camper. If you do indeed have a bad one, they will tell you and you can proceed from that point.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...-professional-fuel-injector-service-info.html

How many miles since your last ignition service? I would make sure the plugs and coils are good before I pulled the injectors.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
2010 Forester
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, plugs and coils are new.. I've installed them when I was replacing HG's... I'm also thinking about O2 sensors and possibly the cat... Not sure if the cat has ever been replaced and with over 270,000 on the odo it might be time.

·
Banned
2007 Outback XT Ltd
847 Posts
I'm also thinking about O2 sensors and possibly the cat... Not sure if the cat has ever been replaced and with over 270,000 on the odo it might be time.
I say definitely change the O2 sensors - they are way overdue and I bet you see an increase in mpgs. I dunno about the cat - it either works or they doesn't, and it won't really affect the performance unless it is plugged up. Are the emissions readings still OK?

Some people never change the O2 sensors unless they get a code, others recommend to change at 70K miles. You can have one that is slightly out of tolerance and it will affect the engine but not throw a code. At 270K, well - change the darn things!

Be aware that older cats are worth a lot of cash, due to the higher amount of platinum they contain. I turned in two from my 96 LX450 and got $122 from the recycle center. Do NOT just pitch yours into the trash.

Good luck.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
2010 Forester
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That was sarcasm on my part, I know that with over 270,000 on the odo I've got a lot of catching up to do...

One thing at a time though. I thought that perhaps there is a "better" injector out there... Something like a stage 3 Bosch... or a Japanese upgrade... But IMO I've got some other, more important things to attend to.

I'm glad I have saved this car from a scrapper...........

1 - 5 of 5 Posts