Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Mostly stock 2012 6MT.
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd share this... :)

I emailed Injen about getting a MAF mounting tube, and they emailed me back with this picture. Sure does free up the engine bay quite a bit!

(I hope they don't mind me sharing this picture. They sent it to me, so I'm assuming it's not much of a secret anymore?)

·
Registered
2013 OBW 2.5i, & 2002 WRX
136 Posts
May work "ok" for the NA cars, but Turbo cars in the tuning world do NOT put bends before a Subaru MAF...

I wouldn't buy with out a lot of data-logging proof.

my 0.02

·
Registered
814 Posts
Does this have the 50 state emissions sticker? In CA we can't put these on our cars unless they have the smog/ emissions exempt sticker.

Also not sure I want to add anymore noise to this cars engine.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Premium
232 Posts
May work "ok" for the NA cars, but Turbo cars in the tuning world do NOT put bends before a Subaru MAF...

I wouldn't buy with out a lot of data-logging proof.

my 0.02
A heat shield would not be bad either. I bet the air in that aluminum tube will get hotter than the air in the plastic run, and it would make a nice not air intake!

·
Registered
84 Posts
LOL, this will be totally fine with a NA car. The bend before the MAF has much less impact on the airflow than all the resonators and bends and goofy stuff on the stock intake.

And a bend before a MAF on a turbo car is fine, too.

·
Registered
84 Posts
A heat shield would not be bad either. I bet the air in that aluminum tube will get hotter than the air in the plastic run, and it would make a nice not air intake!
The bigger problem with this setup is that it pulls air in from the engine bay. The air passes so quickly through that short length of tubing that the heat of the tube won't have an effect on the air.

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
7,355 Posts
And the factory set up is far more cold air intake then this one is, and without the worry of sucking up water

·
Registered
Mostly stock 2012 6MT.
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The stock intake may get slightly cooler air, but I doubt it can move as much air as the aftermarket. All those resonators and bends have to decrease the flow...

·
Registered
2013 Outback, 2.5i Limited w/ Moonroof
1,541 Posts
And the factory set up is far more cold air intake then this one is, and without the worry of sucking up water
I tend to agree with Nipper. The position of the factory air intake, right under the leading edge of the hood, has to be better for getting cooler air, than down in the engine bay. Considering the displacement of the engine, it seems the factory system would allow for more than adequate air flow.

The Injen may look cool, polished aluminum and all. But my guess is that the cool factor (appearance, not air temp) is all that one would get out of it over the factory box.

I'm with GLWagon. Show me the data that shows an increase in performance. As we used to say in one of the engineering groups I worked in, "In God we trust. All others bring data".

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Premium CVT
611 Posts
Unless there is a direct opening to funnel in air, this location is not ideal for so called "cool" air. If anything, it's too close to the cylinder/exhaust area.

And that bend! Not very gradual is it?

Sure, looks nice, but if they routed this to the frontal area say below the hood facing front far enough away from any radiator or condensing coil and give it a more gradual bend or better yet, plumb it so there is a more direct flow.

****, I've seen people reverse the throttle body to face forward, but that takes some engineering skills with a flow table, but it's been done. Then, you have a much better shot of air into the intake system.

But, let's face facts.... it's a Subaru motor, NOT a Porsche engine like a Metzger GT3 engine...

Look, if you like it, that's all that matters!:p

Deanski

1 - 11 of 11 Posts