Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[2008 Subaru Outback 2.5i Ltd]
Hello there.
I spotted a tiny tear in my driver(left) side and decided to do a reboot instead of installing a brand new axle. I believe in repairing to the best of my ability instead of replacing. I didn't mind the grease in there; wasn't too bad either.

I got quite far using a couple of tutorials; primarily youtube (link below - 1st reply)
I also bought the NAPA 686-2483 boot kit
Some pictures I took for reference (link below - 1st reply)

When I was about to reboot it I noticed a few differences:
1. The tulip is grey in colour not green. Does this mean it is reman? It is grey on both sides in the front
2. The tulip shape differs from the NAPA kit. I am wondering if this is related to #1. If yes, what would be a replacement part?
3. The circlip/snap ring is smaller than the original one. 2.1 cms vs 2.3 cms (existing). Will this make a difference? Where can I get a proper one without having to reuse the existing one?
4. Is there an orientation to the rollers? They seemed symmetric

I've left the car on jack stands with the parts covered. Didn't want to risk putting in incompatible parts.

Thanks for reading and I appreciate all the help I can get.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Reference pics don't seem to be uploading. Here's imgur hosted link imgur.com/a/1nEPe
Youtube link, as I can't post links, youtube.com/watch?v=bf8uRTjfxsk

Please excuse the additional step for the links. I can't seem to have any success with uploading pictures to the thread.

Edit0: Updated with non hyperlinked links.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,371 Posts
Forum anti-spambot software prevents posting links/pics until you have 10 posts.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is weird replying to my own thread but it seems like this axle was from a 2010 Outback model. Can someone confirm? The flat tulip and the snap ring match what I am seeing on the subaru parts website. #28335 in the blow up diagram and part# 28035FC000 for snap ring.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,582 Posts
could be a 'heavy duty' replacement ? I think FEQ offers some HD axles and, maybe some of the parts are different size.

I suppose any aftermarket unit could vary its internals as long as it is a functional replacemnt.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't have an answer to any of your questions, but I used the subaru 28397AG000 boot kit when I did both my front axles.
Unfortunately that is the part I already bought and it doesn't fit the profile. Thanks for trying to help though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts