Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Outback Limited, Dual Range 5 Speed
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys just doing some research, I’ll be doing the inner tie rod ends on my car soon and just wondering if anyone has done these before. Any tips tricks to pass on, did you follow the service manual.

In the manual it says to tighten the nut and use sealant on the input gearbox, anyone done this or is it ok to crack the old end without playing around with the input section of the rack.

Thanx in advance.:smile2:

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx AWDFTW, I’ll have a look.

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Outback Limited Sedan, 2.5L
163 Posts
Gotta love YouTube. Eventually it'll have a video showing how to perform your own open heart surgery.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Upon watching the video, I don’t have access to a hire tool and they are expensive to buy here In aus for a single use. So just wondering if anyone has done this with an open ender.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,312 Posts
Upon watching the video, I don’t have access to a hire tool and they are expensive to buy here In aus for a single use. So just wondering if anyone has done this with an open ender.
It can be done. Tight fit though and you'll only be able to turn it small amounts at a time, but once its broke loose, it should turn easy by hand the rest of the way. You'll have similar issue putting it on with limited wrench movement.

·
Registered
2000 & 2002 Outback Wagon EJ251/Auto + 2004 Outback LL Bean EZ30/Auto + 1996 Legacy Outback Wagon EJ22/5sp + 2008 Outback Wagon EJ253/Auto + 2004 Legacy Sedan 35th Anniv. EJ251/Auto (not OB) + 2005 O
159 Posts
Tie Rod Removal

Don't y'all have AutoZone in AUS? They rent an inner tie rod removal tool.

Or you can get one for about $40... at Tool Planet dot com..... SKU: 400989

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,118 Posts
I read of someone using a pipe wrench.
Yeah, that was me.

I really should buy my own tool at some point. You could also fab your own out of some plate steel. It takes some moving of the rack back and forth since a Monkey Wrench is somewhat bulky. It leaves little jaw marks on the barrel, but it works for me.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No autozone here, some places hire automotive tools, but things like transports and engine boosts but nothing like that.

Cajun agggie $40 us + exchange rate + Netflix tax + postage will probably equal around $100 - $120 landed here in aus, bit much for a single use tool.

I really wish we had stores like autozone here, we have only just started getting code read at supercheap auto and it’s not free($30) per read.

·
Registered
2000 & 2002 Outback Wagon EJ251/Auto + 2004 Outback LL Bean EZ30/Auto + 1996 Legacy Outback Wagon EJ22/5sp + 2008 Outback Wagon EJ253/Auto + 2004 Legacy Sedan 35th Anniv. EJ251/Auto (not OB) + 2005 O
159 Posts
@Timberwolf99 I've seen some videos of people using locking pliers on the flat spots of the round knuckle on the steering arm. Just remember to unstake the washer first. You'll have to guess at installation torque. Slight scratches/damage to the outside of the ball socket shouldn't hurt the function of the ball-socket pivot as long as you don't crush it.

Didn't realize it was so expensive to get stuff to AUS. And the AutoZone I saw on Google maps is really just a mechanic shop called "Autozone" :) (in Blackburn)

Maybe you could find a shop that would loan/rent the tool to you. It must be a common tool in most shops.

Reactions: 1 Lucky Texan

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,118 Posts
@Timberwolf99 I've seen some videos of people using locking pliers on the flat spots of the round knuckle on the steering arm. Just remember to unstake the washer first. You'll have to guess at installation torque.
Locking pliers, pipe wrench ... same principal. As far as torque, just get them tight, and don't forget to stake the washer.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanx for the reply’s guys, I’ve found another tool that would do the job. Wish I could do it properly with the right tools but the ones the same in the video are $205 here that I could find cheapest and that is a special order still can’t just walk in and buy one.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,312 Posts
I really wish we had stores like autozone here, we have only just started getting code read at supercheap auto and it’s not free($30) per read.
You can get a VAG-COM cable for less than $30, even in Oz, and Rom Raider is free software to log data and FreeSSM, says it in its name, can read and reset the computer codes on the car.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanx cardoc, I’ll look into that, I’d need a laptop though wouldn’t I.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok just an update managed to find a place local,(still special order though) that had the right tool for $109.00. This was a great price as most other places had it for 200+ and was still a special order.

And cardoc would you know where in aus I can get a vag-com cable from. I now have a laptop that I pulled out of the local hardwares e waste bin and fixed up, just need to buy a replacement battery for it now. I’m going to use it for electronic copies of the service manuals and updating my service schedule spreadsheet. This will be another use for it.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanx cardoc I’ll have a look. How’s sleeper going?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts