Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT Ltd
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my OBXT with 68k - I now have 79k on her.
So far I have replaced the Power steering pump, radiator, intercooler and a couple houses that go along with those parts.

I have changed my oil around every 4k with Rotella 10-40.

I noticed a burning smell recently.
Took it into Subaru for a free inspection.
They lifted it for me and took me around the car and showed me various work that needed to be done.

• Subaru botched the last radiator. They are going to be replacing part of it again - this is the leak i was smelling.
  • My Valve Covers are seeping - they recommended replacing them
  • The boot on my front driver side control arm is leaking - they recommend replacing
  • My transmission was holding redline once in a while and upon startup i get a nasty shift into drive - almost a clanky/clumsy shift - They recommended a drain/fill and a re-program.

Now i do have a warranty which is going to cover everything but the transfluid and the reprogram - That will cost me 65 for the program and 150 or so for the refill.

What else do you guys recommend I have them take a look at and or do?

I wanted to go with an sti upipe and a racing downpipe, and a tune from infamous, but im a little worried that my car my not be up for the task - I did have Mark from infamous drive my car and plug it into the computer when i got it and everything checked out okay.

Just looking for what i can do to take care of my baby.

·
Registered
05 OBXT Limited AT
22 Posts
Well, at least you have the warranty!

What do mean by holding redline, was it bouncing off the rev limiter and not up shifting?

I hear you about being cautious going Stg 2. Why not just do the UP/tune, keep it Stg 1?

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT Ltd
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have the cookie cutter infamous tune right now - i want more power if possible.

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT Ltd
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
any other input?

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
Banjo bolt replacement. If there is any blockage, check for shaft play in the turbo.

Struts are probably getting worn out already. Look at the LCA bushings, both rear and inner. Rear is probably torn, but don't do anything unless its more than 15 mm. If the inner is leaking replace it.

Brakes probably need to be replaced if you haven't already. Fluid replacement if it wasn't done at 60k.

You stereo is probably going to loose reception very soon. You'll need to fix the wire in the tailgate boot.

Change ATF, full flush. Front and rear diff fluid change.

Otherwise, just regular maintenance. I assume you kept up on the coolant changes and spark plugs at 60k.

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
7,355 Posts
150 bucks for a flush? EEK. Learn how to do it yourself and really save some money on the job, especially on the next time you have to do it.

Banjo Bolts is very critical on this car, if it clogs it can wipe out the turbo.

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT Ltd
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i havent done anything yet. i dont have the ability to do it myself - no driveway/garage or lifts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts