Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this car back in September and as long as I've had it, there has been this very loud squeak that appears to be coming from the windshield. The sound is only present when on the highway. It also seems to be a direct result of wind from the air hitting the windshield because it's not a consistent squeak. For example, sometimes I'll be driving 70mph on the highway and there will be no squeak at all. Then I'll feel a large wind gust hit my car and the squeaking begins. Once the wind stops or I reduce my speed enough the squeaking goes away. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this type of problem with their Sub, or any car for that matter. A local glass shop told me it would cost 150 bucks just for them to take the glass off and look at it and it would be another 150 if they broke it when they removed it to get a replacement. I really can't afford that right now and the squeak is starting to make me lose my mind a bit. I've done all I can to diagnose it and as far as I can tell, there is nothing stuck in the windshield that would cause this sound, at least nothing that I have access to. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Here's a video of the sound:

·
Registered
2007 OBXT Limited, 5MT 148K
420 Posts
The weatherstripping around the window is vibrating; had a S2000 that did that. A quick/easy fix is to give it a bead of clear silicone to keep it from flapping.

·
Registered
420 Posts
It's basically glue. Any parts store should have it. Apply a thin bead, and smooth it with your finger. Like you're caulking a bathtub. The "real" fix would be to replace the stripping but as you've already discovered that's going to cost some money.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Only use automotive sealer don't use silicone!!! Silicone has acid in it and will eat your car and cause rust very fast.

First get some of that blue painters tape and tape the rubber seal to the car where you suspect the noise is coming from. Do small sections till you kill the sound. Then run your finger under the edge of the gasket you will see a space under there between the glass and the car frame. This gap is what you need to shoot the automotive sealer into to squelch the racket. Basically the rubber seal is flapping in the wind and by back filling under it you kill the flapping racket. You do not need to glue the gasket to the car you just need to back fill behind it with the black gasket sealer sold in tooth paste type tube at your local auto store for like $5

A good glass shop would do it for free by the way! Sounds like that glass shop you spoke with should be put on the AVOID the scam artists list. The fix takes all of 2 minutes and less than 10 cents worth of sealer.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Since we're talking about a car, and buying it at a "parts store" I don't "most people" would buy window caulk at Ace. Perhaps you have a lower opinion of folks.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Since we're talking about a car, and buying it at a "parts store" I don't "most people" would buy window caulk at Ace. Perhaps you have a lower opinion of folks.
Blue this issue pops up about twice a year and almost always someone askes if they can just shoot some silicone in there. Proper Automotive lingo is Gasket Sealer and yes many people have used home goods silicone thinking its just as good.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I spent 12 years as an ASE Master Tech and another 8 writing repair proceedures. I've never called it "gasket sealer" in my life, because it's not. ;)

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
So is being condecending your backup plan when you figure out you're wrong?
No its quite simple Blue your the one making the stink and tossing around IM an ASE bla bla etc. When all that matters is the vehicle owner understands that its a very easy fix common to that gasket design on the subarus - and to simply get GAsket sealer as its called and labeled that at the local parts store and shoot a little spoodge under the spot where the gasket is flapping in the breeze.

By the way ASE certification is like any certification - it means you meet the minimum expected knowledge. Sort of like getting your GED instead of graduating with Honors from your local top HS. Yes there is a very big difference

1 - 14 of 14 Posts