Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Carbide Grey 3.6R
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I have a 2016 3.6R.

I was wondering if you knew if it's possible to install the latest version of the infotainment software on my car to include support for Carplay and Android Auto.

Thanks!

·
Banned
6,271 Posts
Not a simple software update.

Reactions: Subiesweatt

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,258 Posts
Can you maybe provide a couple reasons? Seems like a simple software update to me.
For starters: Totally different hardware from two different manufacturers. Anything seems simple for the person who doesn't actually have to do the work.

·
Registered
2016 Carbide Grey 3.6R
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For starters: Totally different hardware from two different manufacturers. Anything seems simple for the person who doesn't actually have to do the work.
Thanks for filling me in. More accurately, anything seems simple for a person with a knowledge gap.

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,094 Posts
For those that haven't yet found the other threads... CarPlay requires an authentication chip (hardware) not present in the units that don't support CarPlay. Without that chip, it won't work.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,258 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Carbide Grey 3.6R
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, Subaru offers CarPlay upgrades for 2016.

Just head out to your Subaru dealer with title, registration, and spare keys in hand and tell them you want the 2018 upgrade.
Good advice. I'm considering it!

·
Registered
2016 ISM Outback LTD, 20mm RSB, Draw-Tite 76227 Hitch
96 Posts
Yes, Subaru offers CarPlay upgrades for 2016.

Just head out to your Subaru dealer with title, registration, and spare keys in hand and tell them you want the 2018 upgrade.
Wait, seriously?? All the sources I've seen say otherwise. If we really can, that'd be awesome.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Limited, 2013 Tesla Model S 85
1,089 Posts
Wait, seriously?? All the sources I've seen say otherwise. If we really can, that'd be awesome.
Sorry about that. Thought the part about requiring spare keys, registration, and title was sufficient to tag my sarcasm.

For some reason the other day Subaru emailed me a reminder of my 2016’s guaranteed trade in value. Deleted and mostly forgotten. IIRC a CarPlay upgrade would only cost about $5000!

No matter I paid for my Outback with AAPL stock dividends, am going to decline anything but a complimentary upgrade.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
..............No matter I paid for my Outback with AAPL stock dividends, am going to decline anything but a complimentary upgrade.
For the OB or the stock??

1 - 20 of 30 Posts