Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased door edge guards (SOA801P010) for my Outback. I'm looking for how to install these but I've come up empty. Does anyone have the instructions or access to Subaru Technical Information System which might have them?

·
Registered
'18 OB 3.6R
64 Posts
I just installed mine a couple weeks ago - pro tip: using a rubber mallet to tap them onto the door is the easiest way to attach them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips. I found the instructions. I'm pretty nervous of using the stripping tool. What's the intent and how do you know you're not destroying the finish?

·
Registered
'18 OB 3.6R
64 Posts
I didnt use any sort of stripping tool... Literally lined up the edge guard, tapped it onto the door, called it a day.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,695 Posts
I did mine about a month ago.

There tool is first used to check to see if you need to push the sealant for clearance do don't worry into you have something to worry about!

Mine all met clearance and after I cleaned the doors and taped up the templates, it was pretty easy.

Just use either a rubber mallet or plastic head hammer. I did the first one just hitting it where the template said but that didn't seem to be a great way to do it. Instead, I just put the edge of the guard up to the top off the template notch and just worked my way down.

Looks beautiful and not one of them is loose. Been to a couple of car washes with nothing coming loose.

Just clean the door edges with alcohol until they squeak, just take your time and hit the guards square to the door. You will hear a very satisfying "thunk" when it's installed correctly and seated in place.

I think it took me 90 mins total including cutting out the templates.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm surprised there isn't adhesive that has to be applied. I'm glad you mentioned it hasn't come off after several car washes.
How will I know if I need to strip sealant away?

·
Registered
'18 OB 3.6R
64 Posts
I'm surprised there isn't adhesive that has to be applied. I'm glad you mentioned it hasn't come off after several car washes.
How will I know if I need to strip sealant away?
It pinches onto the door very tightly, when you get it on you will realize it doesn't need adhesive and will take quite a bit for it to come off on its own.

I think an informal way to tell, you can look at the edge guard and see how deeply around the door it's going to sit. Then look down the inner door edge and you can see where the sealant edge is under the paint and make sure the guard won't contact the sealant edge.

At least that's from what I remember from doing it months ago off the top of my head.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,695 Posts
+87 to what he said.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Cool! I'll give it a shot. Just to clarify, the sealant is where the flat, metal portion of the door is raised up on the inside of the panel, correct? See:

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
sealant adjustment tool

Just took possession of 2018 Outback. Want to install door edge guards. Looks like I might have a sealant problem so I need the sealant adjustment tool. I have searched with no luck. Anybody know where I can get one?

Thanks,

Gene

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback Premium in Wilderness Green with moonroof, Starlink and safety package added. My dream car! <3
7 Posts
I just put these on mine. They were a breeze to install and look great.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just an update from me, I had no issues and didn't need to use the sealant tool. If you do need it though, I'm sure you can order is from the dealership, same as the guards.

·
Registered
17 Outback Touring 3.6R blue 18 Chevy Silverado High Country and a 11 Dodge Challenger SRT 8
322 Posts
I ordered mine from local dealer 3 days to get

·
Registered
'18 Outback Touring Dark Blue Pearl 3.6r
1,655 Posts
When I bought my '18, the dealer had them already installed as a free-be. Well nothings free really but that's what they told me. :)

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited w/Eyesight
159 Posts
How do you like the 3M Door Edge Guard now?

I have the 3M edge guard and they still look great (assuming you even notice them). For the price and ease of installation it is really tough to beat.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts