Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
'18 2.5 Outback Limited
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No need to beat a dead horse. This install is well documented in other threads and there are numerous Youtube Videos, but I just wanted to say it's a spectacularly well-engineered piece of gear and was very straightforward to install. About 2 1/2 hours without power tools or lift. Just working slowly in the garage. No issues. Added the Tekonsha plug-n-play trailer light loom as well. Looks great and I'm delighted with the results.

If you're looking for a Gen 5 hitch, definitely give the Torklift Ecohitch a close look!

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R Limited
50 Posts
I am considering the EcoHitch as well, and I am wondering what made you pick the EcoHitch over the DrawTite.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Hi guys!! I’m the next week or two, I’m going to be doing a side by side comparison of the Draw Tite and the Torklift 2” Ecohirch for the Outback on my YouTube channel at WhiteKnickle6.2. There are some videos on there now for the outback so check it out and keep an eye out for that video!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: martin_j001

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Limited, 2013 Tesla Model S 85
1,059 Posts
I am considering the EcoHitch as well, and I am wondering what made you pick the EcoHitch over the DrawTite.
As for me, chose EcoHitch because it mounts in same place as factory, does not cut or drill metal on chassis nor trim of heat shield. Does require cut of bumper cover.

I had no trouble fitting the bumper cover back over the factory foam.

·
Registered
'18 2.5 Outback Limited
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I loved the look of the finished installation and the way it installed behind the bumper. It's a quality product for sure and was a straight-forward installation if you have any mechanical aptitude at all, basic hand tools and a little patience.

·
Registered
2016 Outback LTD w/ Nav & Eyesight 2.5l Venetian Red
44 Posts
The DrawTite installs in exactly the same way as the Eco Hitch. No drilling involved. Only trimming the black lower bumper cover which must be done on the Eco also. Saved the $100.00 and put it back in my pocket.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R Limited
50 Posts
The DrawTite installs in exactly the same way as the Eco Hitch. No drilling involved. Only trimming the black lower bumper cover which must be done on the Eco also. Saved the $100.00 and put it back in my pocket.
This is why I asked my question as to why the EcoHitch was selected over the DrawTite.

As far as I can tell these two units are basically identical, but the DrawTite is about $100 cheaper.

The only difference that I see is that the EcoHitch appears to sit just a tad higher (closer to the bottom of the bumper) than the DrawTite, but I can't seem to find anyone that can confirm this.

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited; 2" LP Aventure lift, LPA skid plates and small bumper guard, diff breather relocation, subframe skids; Motegi MR118 17x8et32 wheels; Yakima LoadWarrior with extension; ARB
318 Posts
This is why I asked my question as to why the EcoHitch was selected over the DrawTite.

As far as I can tell these two units are basically identical, but the DrawTite is about $100 cheaper.

The only difference that I see is that the EcoHitch appears to sit just a tad higher (closer to the bottom of the bumper) than the DrawTite, but I can't seem to find anyone that can confirm this.

toddwilks may be able to tell you, as he's had both. One way you could tell would be to get your hands on the install guides for each as I'm thinking both should have a template of the cutout necessary...if one model has a deeper cutout than the other, that one will sit higher.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,110 Posts
Looks like about half an inch. If you're looking for the Draw-Tite (and have more time than money - 4-5 weeks), CarID seems to have the best price at $132/FS.
https://www.carid.com/draw-tite/class-3-max-frame-trailer-hitch-with-2-receiver-opening-mpn-76227.html?singleid=1190242013

·
Registered
18 Posts
FWIW I put a Torklift hidden ecohitch on my 2013 gen 4. Installed fairly easily and I loved the way it looks, but it is completely rusted out after just 2 years. Paint/powdercoating coming off in sheets. Don't know if it was a lemon or indicative of their finish process.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,692 Posts
FWIW I put a Torklift hidden ecohitch on my 2013 gen 4. Installed fairly easily and I loved the way it looks, but it is completely rusted out after just 2 years. Paint/powdercoating coming off in sheets. Don't know if it was a lemon or indicative of their finish process.
16 posts in 5 years? Slow it down, Tiger.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Looks like about half an inch. If you're looking for the Draw-Tite (and have more time than money - 4-5 weeks), CarID seems to have the best price at $132/FS.
https://www.carid.com/draw-tite/class-3-max-frame-trailer-hitch-with-2-receiver-opening-mpn-76227.html?singleid=1190242013
The 4 to 5 weeks is incorrect. I received my Draw-Tite in less than a week. After ordering I called them and they confirmed it was not a Made to Order (4 to 5 weeks) item, but an In-Stock (immediate shipment) item. Order from CAR-ID, transparent transaction and immediate shipment.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,110 Posts
The 4 to 5 weeks is incorrect. I received my Draw-Tite in less than a week. After ordering I called them and they confirmed it was not a Made to Order (4 to 5 weeks) item, but an In-Stock (immediate shipment) item. Order from CAR-ID, transparent transaction and immediate shipment.
So I have heard, just reading their page. Looks like they jacked the price up $20, too, but so did Etrailer, $14...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts