Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a few hours as I did it alone without any ramps. Similar to the install on my Crosstrek I while back so I knew what I was getting into. The most challenging part was drilling the second hole where it previously did not exist. My drill is great and it was slow going with my selection of bits.

I have the wiring harness also, I will get to that later this weekend. I also ordered Curt part 57404, which is a flush mount 4 pin connector. I plan to punch a knockout lower on the bu.oer plastic near the hitch and pop that guy in. I will use a selection of cable tie mounts and other wire management pieces (I'm a rep and one of my lines is HellermannTyton) and keep all the wiring tucked nicely inside the bumper plastic. I may even put the majority of it in some protective tubing for the weather and road spray up in the bumper cavity. Details on all that to follow soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Where did you order and......

Took a few hours as I did it alone without any ramps. Similar to the install on my Crosstrek I while back so I knew what I was getting into. The most challenging part was drilling the second hole where it previously did not exist. My drill is great and it was slow going with my selection of bits.

I have the wiring harness also, I will get to that later this weekend. I also ordered Curt part 57404, which is a flush mount 4 pin connector. I plan to punch a knockout lower on the bu.oer plastic near the hitch and pop that guy in. I will use a selection of cable tie mounts and other wire management pieces (I'm a rep and one of my lines is HellermannTyton) and keep all the wiring tucked nicely inside the bumper plastic. I may even put the majority of it in some protective tubing for the weather and road spray up in the bumper cavity. Details on all that to follow soon.
How much did it cost? How long to install?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought mine on eBay. Hitch and harness combined and free shipping for $151.00. The additional plus for the vunoer was $6 On amazon. Had i worked nonstop I could have done it in under 2 hours. Instead it took me about 3 or so.

·
Registered
2017 3.6 limited Outback
63 Posts
I'm going out on a limb, a recent WSU, Pullman grad

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got the harness in this morning but I've got chores to do the rest of the day instead of fiddling on the subie. I did receive the bumper plug, however I should have installed it with the harness before the hitch. The hitch is severely blocking my hand space from reaching in the cavity of the bumper to install it. There is a plug under the spare tire that gives me dirext access for passing the wiring though. I will get to eventually but looks like it will work as planned. At least in the mean time I have the hitch and wiring available to use if needed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also installed a Curt Class III Hitch

I recently also installed a Curt Class III hitch on my 2015 Outback and am really happy with the how the hitch looks and it seems like a good solid hitch. I took a slightly different approach when I installed my hitch buy inserting the bolts through a hole in the trunk area instead of opening up a hole underneath the car. I made a short video showing how I went about doing this along with how I routed my wires for the trailer plug.

Here is a link to my video in case others are interested in taking the same approach:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I recently also installed a Curt Class III hitch on my 2015 Outback and am really happy with the how the hitch looks and it seems like a good solid hitch. I took a slightly different approach when I installed my hitch buy inserting the bolts through a hole in the trunk area instead of opening up a hole underneath the car. I made a short video showing how I went about doing this along with how I routed my wires for the trailer plug.

Here is a link to my video in case others are interested in taking the same approach: https://youtu.be/Q7yNpIVvMsI
Thanks for the video! I plan on installing the same hitch this weekend!

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
971 Posts
Can't say for sure from the single picture, but that hitch sure looks like it hangs down from the bumper. I had a hitch like that on my Audi Q5, and it would hit the bottom of my driveway when backing in unless I really went slow. Yep, I have quite a change of angle from the driveway into the garage.

Go Dawgs! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts