Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Outback Ltd.
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old alternator wasn't that old. It was a reman bosch unit but it wasn't up for the extra load I was putting on it. My battery was slowly being drained and I had to charge it up every once in a while. So in goes the DC Power alternator. It produces 130 amps at idle and 180+ amps at highway cruising. This is more than enough for my stereo and a future set of off road lights.
Installation was straight forward except that the stock alternator had a 5 groove pulley and the DC alternator had 6 grooves. A quick call to DC alternator and they said to install the serpentine belt closest to the alternator. A supplied wire harness was included to adapt to the factory plug.

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 Outback Ltd.
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
With any HO alternator installation, make sure that your grounding is solid. I did the big 3 for this install with 1/0 guage OFC. All ring terminals are soldered and not crimped. I added a power cable to the existing one as I really didn't want to pull out the old one. Just make sure that the new cable is fused near the battery with an appropriate size fuse and with a quality one. Just for good measure, I used a deep cycle battery but any good battery will work.

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 Outback Ltd.
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The pulleys are the same diameter therefore no need to change the belt size. The length of the pulleys are different due to the slight difference in design of the alternators but when the DC alternator is in place, the belt placement is exactly where it should be.

·
Registered
2000 Outback Ltd.
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. It's been about six months now so I guess I should do a little update. The alternator has been totally solid and I couldn't be happier with it. I don't have dimming headlights anymore and my car idles very smoothly. Just overall daily driving seems to be a touch smoother. That's just a subjective observation but I should include some objective data. After resting the car for 4 hours, the battery voltage is full at 12.63 volts. At idle, the voltage is 14.4 volts.
I included some pics of the alternator output increasing as I increased the load. At idle with nothing else on, the electrical output was 28.6 amps. I then turned on the headlights, stereo, heated seats and heater fan and the electrical output jumped to 58.3 amps. A couple more accessories and the electrical output went up to 64.9 amps. I think at about this point, an OE alternator would max out at idle and the battery would start to drain. It's good to know that I'm not even close to maxing out and that I could add more accessories if I wanted to.

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 Subaru Outback Wagon, 2.5L.
194 Posts
My old alternator wasn't that old. It was a reman bosch unit but it wasn't up for the extra load I was putting on it. My battery was slowly being drained and I had to charge it up every once in a while. So in goes the DC Power alternator. It produces 130 amps at idle and 180+ amps at highway cruising. This is more than enough for my stereo and a future set of off road lights.
Is this the DC Power Alternator you got? At almost $400, that seems like a lot of money for an alternator (albeit one at double the amperage of stock).

I have a 2001 Subaru Outback wagon - their fitment chart says this wouldn't work for my car. I see you have a 2000 Outback - presumably the model you use would be compatible with mine?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,200 Posts
Is this the DC Power Alternator you got? At almost $400, that seems like a lot of money for an alternator (albeit one at double the amperage of stock).

I have a 2001 Subaru Outback wagon - their fitment chart says this wouldn't work for my car. I see you have a 2000 Outback - presumably the model you use would be compatible with mine?
Here is one for a 2002 3.0 H6 car for a big audio system by @lesstutrey

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/65-parts-accessories-performance/163209-decently-powered-alternator-h6-3-0-a.html

·
Registered
2000 Outback Ltd.
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Go to DC's website and fill in the vehicle search. You should find an alternator for your year which appears to be the same one as mine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

I am in the process of putting a sound system in my car, nothing too big. I am getting a 140 amp alternator that basically is plug and play. I want to upgrade the big 3 but was wondering a few things. Did you use the stock wiring and plugged it into the new alternator and then added a second positive cable from your alternator to the battery or did you modify that at all?

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Outback VDC Wagon
188 Posts
Hello,

I am in the process of putting a sound system in my car, nothing too big. I am getting a 140 amp alternator that basically is plug and play. I want to upgrade the big 3 but was wondering a few things. Did you use the stock wiring and plugged it into the new alternator and then added a second positive cable from your alternator to the battery or did you modify that at all?
Yes, i just added a charge cable and kept the old one hooked up as well. You also better add a ground from the alt to the battery as well. This should be done period, even with low output systems. Even with stock alts.

Reactions: rouser
1 - 13 of 13 Posts