Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't realize how flimsy the factory sub was until I removed it. I installed a Pioneer TS-SW2002D2 shallow-mount sub. It sounds a ton better now.

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 OBW VDC, 2004 WRX, 1999 LEGACY L (in a heap)
1,302 Posts
Did you use anything to seal the speaker to that plate?

edit: nvm, I looked up the back of the speaker and it has a pretty good gasket on it.

was the factory an 8 or a 6?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you use anything to seal the speaker to that plate?

edit: nvm, I looked up the back of the speaker and it has a pretty good gasket on it.

was the factory an 8 or a 6?
It is an 8 inch. I am using it as a free air. I love the sound of a sealed woofer, however I don't know if there is enough room to do it with the factory space. I will be going back in there to upgrade the wiring to accommodate a new amp. I will be adding Dynamat to all the speakers at that time. I did drill 6 mounting holes into the sheet metal. I used bolts and nylon lock nuts instead of sheet metal screws for a more secure fit.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How many ohms is the stock sub, also how many watts rms does the factory amp send to the factory sub?
The stock sub is a dual 2 ohm bridged to 4 ohms. This is probably why people complain that it doesn't hit very hard. I am not sure what the RMS rating is. The one I installed has an RMS @ 4 ohms of 150 watts, 600 peak. I will be adding a new Kenwood 5-channel amp that will supply it with what it needs. I will need to add Dynamat, because it already is rattling the rear side panel.

·
Registered
'13 OBW SAP 3.6R
416 Posts
Problem with the stock sub is there really is no box for it. Is the Pioneer you installed an IB (infinite baffle) sub? I went the route of installing a whole separate sub that fit in the styrofoam in the trunk with some minimal trimming. I went with this JL Audio 8" ported sleeper. I kept the stock sub to be a somewhat mid-sub speaker and left the heavy lifting for the JL Audio. This little puppy will surprise you! I have it in both our vehicles.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Problem with the stock sub is there really is no box for it. Is the Pioneer you installed an IB (infinite baffle) sub? I went the route of installing a whole separate sub that fit in the styrofoam in the trunk with some minimal trimming. I went with this JL Audio 8" ported sleeper. I kept the stock sub to be a somewhat mid-sub speaker and left the heavy lifting for the JL Audio. This little puppy will surprise you! I have it in both our vehicles.
Yes. It is the only Pioneer shallow sub that can be used as either a sealed, or infinite baffle sub. I prefer sealed, but I am trying to keep the whole car as stock looking as possible.

·
Registered
'13 OBW SAP 3.6R
416 Posts
Yes. It is the only Pioneer shallow sub that can be used as either a sealed, or infinite baffle sub. I prefer sealed, but I am trying to keep the whole car as stock looking as possible.
I will take pictures when there is better lighting to show you my setup. Not an inch lost in the trunk and until you pull up the cover you will be clueless that this has anything aftermarket. My friends always comment at how good the Harman Kardon sounds but really it is the JL Audio. I don't waste my time explaining the setup most of the time.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will take pictures when there is better lighting to show you my setup. Not an inch lost in the trunk and until you pull up the cover you will be clueless that this has anything aftermarket. My friends always comment at how good the Harman Kardon sounds but really it is the JL Audio. I don't waste my time explaining the setup most of the time.
I would love to see photos. ?

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5i with CVT
44 Posts
What year Outback did you put this in? I've got a 2017 and I'd love a bit more bass.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,182 Posts
Factory speakers in cars have always been such crap - I had hoped spending 30K on a car would change that when I bought my last OB - nope. They tout all the name brand systems with the infotainment and amp and multiple speakers here and there, but if the speakers are still crap, the rest of it barely matters. I got frustrated with previous cars though when I would have the audio system replaced and they would end up doing poor work. Im an audio professional so I know sound, but Im not so good with taking apart cars and rewiring better systems in them.
I wish car manufacturers (in this day and age) would just step up the speaker quality a bit - I feel many would be fine paying it.
They could make the head units more basic and step up the speakers and it would sound so much better - but its all about the bells and whistles in the head units it seems.

My 2013 OB limited is "ok" compared to many cars I have been in.... but I just had a 2018 loaner forester - I had 2 diff ones actually - a basic one and a loaded one and the sound in both was horrible and thin. Yeah maybe because I am an audio professional I care a bit more about sound than many, but...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did you make your own wiring harness or buy it from somewhere?
I bought it. It is a Metra 72-9300. It hooks to the factory harness. I had to cut off the orange connectors and strip the end of the wire.

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Factory speakers in cars have always been such crap - I had hoped spending 30K on a car would change that when I bought my last OB - nope. They tout all the name brand systems with the infotainment and amp and multiple speakers here and there, but if the speakers are still crap, the rest of it barely matters. I got frustrated with previous cars though when I would have the audio system replaced and they would end up doing poor work. Im an audio professional so I know sound, but Im not so good with taking apart cars and rewiring better systems in them.
I wish car manufacturers (in this day and age) would just step up the speaker quality a bit - I feel many would be fine paying it.
They could make the head units more basic and step up the speakers and it would sound so much better - but its all about the bells and whistles in the head units it seems.

My 2013 OB limited is "ok" compared to many cars I have been in.... but I just had a 2018 loaner forester - I had 2 diff ones actually - a basic one and a loaded one and the sound in both was horrible and thin. Yeah maybe because I am an audio professional I care a bit more about sound than many, but...
Car manufacturers like to put in just what "gets the job done", just like building contractors, I guess.

·
Registered
'13 OBW SAP 3.6R
416 Posts
I would love to see photos. ?
You can see it sits up ever so slightly where the mechanism that holds the cover up comes into contact with the speaker grill

This is what it looks like with the cover lifted showing the subwoofer and amp

A closeup of the speaker and amp in the styrofoam showing the impression made from the cover...no ill effect to the sub or it's performance thankfully. This gives you some idea on how much you will have to trim away to make it sit in there

·
Registered
2018 OB 2.5i Premium, CVT, Ice Silver Metallic
12 Posts
@digdah are you running the stock head unit? Does that JL amp have channel summing or does the head unit provide a full range channel that your crossing over in the amp?

·
Registered
'13 OBW SAP 3.6R
416 Posts
@bigslim everything is factory. My setup is tapped into the factory amps hi level output to the factory sub. I wish the amp was that complicated enough to have channel summing but it does not. I am not sure what frequencies I am missing going in that way but my desire was to 1st keep everything factory..because, and 2nd to add to the existing setup. This JL Audio setup is to play the really low frequencies that the factory sub does not have ability to do or do well at a decent volume. I have the low pass filter set to 60Hz.

Trust me, this little thing can hold its own. I have to turn things way down to keep it civil so it does not overpower the factory setup (Harmon Kardon) which I think does a great job reproducing crisp highs and decent midbass IMO. I just filled in the missing piece of the puzzle.

·
Registered
2018 OB 2.5i Premium, CVT, Ice Silver Metallic
12 Posts
@bigslim everything is factory. My setup is tapped into the factory amps hi level output to the factory sub. I wish the amp was that complicated enough to have channel summing but it does not. I am not sure what frequencies I am missing going in that way but my desire was to 1st keep everything factory..because, and 2nd to add to the existing setup. This JL Audio setup is to play the really low frequencies that the factory sub does not have ability to do or do well at a decent volume. I have the low pass filter set to 60Hz.

Trust me, this little thing can hold its own. I have to turn things way down to keep it civil so it does not overpower the factory setup (Harmon Kardon) which I think does a great job reproducing crisp highs and decent midbass IMO. I just filled in the missing piece of the puzzle.
Nice, good looking setup.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Where the speaker grille is hitting the cover, does it cause any rattling of the cover? Would it be better to remove the grille, so the cover sits flush?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts