Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
03 Outback H6 base
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

This will be my first question since joining this wonderful forum. Mainly looking for pointers/suggestions. 2003 OBW H-6 Base w/factory amp.

My OBW has the single din now with a self installed Pioneer DEH-P4600MP that sounds great but I want NAV and Bluetooth.

This H-6 base has the upgraded stereo with a single amp/base speaker under the passenger seat. When I installed the 4600mp I used the antenna power to turn on the amp and all seems to be working correctly. I made a harness using this factory to new connector I bought on ebay and will be doing the same for this new stereo.

The Pioneer AVIC-X940BT needs a reverse signal for the backup camera (someday) and I believe it needs a VVS signal for the NAV but I'm not 100% sure where to tap that? or If it is really needed?

The same antenna power should turn on the amp/base speaker. They are sending a double DIN kit for Subaru Outback along with the stereo so I think I am covered there. Am I missing anything? Solder up the harness adapter and it should be almost plug & play.....? I will be gone tomorrow, Wed, and the stereo should arrive Thurs. Yea! I think that VVS signal (is that correct) is under the drivers side dash?

Before:

After:

·
Registered
557 Posts
i think you mean VSS... vehicle speed sensor.

from reading other forums for different vehicles you might be able to get what you need from the speedo, some wire on the ECU or the transmission thingy :)

i know... very generic, sorry!!!

i want to say, for the most part, you won't need to tap the VSS.

unless you are driving quite a bit with out access to the satelites, like driving in a tunnel or similar.

also, the VSS is used when you're reversing.

hope this helps :)

joel

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited Carbide Gray
832 Posts
I would contact David (svxdc) for the vss wire. Some cars it will be in the radio harness, the kick panel, near the gear selector, near the BIU, or even the cluster. Mainly it is used as a reference to keep the GPS signal in check. Some radios, like Alpine and Kenwood don't need it hooked up and some like Pioneers may need it. You can try out the radio to see how it reacts but you might not be able to use the navigation portion of the radio without.

·
Registered
03 Outback H6 base
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, (oops) VSS.... I don't think it's absolutely needed for the Nav to work in most places, just to keep track of speed and miles traveled when out of signal range.

Thanks for the suggestion. If David (svxdc) see's this or I can't find it I'll contact him. I have a link to a similar post about the VSS wire I need to reread. Fairly sure it's under the drivers side dash; not certain of which wire it is. One step at a time....

Hopefully my new stereo arrives tomorrow.... :29:

·
Registered
2008 Ford Escape XLS - 2002 Subaru Outback
246 Posts
Sell me your old one cheap ish? :)

·
Registered
03 Outback H6 base
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well it's installed; almost.... Still no VSS but I pulled to wire to the correct place above the fuse-box. Parking brake micro bypass done and reverse wired. Haven't setup the unit for the first time but it powers up! :29:

Here's a link to the install and the reverse block pic has the pin 14 connection, Brn/yellow, pointed to. Postimage org / gallery

Tomorrow? Fun in the sun!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Careful using a power antenna wire to turn on an amp. On some HUs the power antenna wire is only active when the radio is used. Switch to another source and the antenna goes down, or in your case, the amp shuts off. Be sure to use the power amplifier turn on, if the HU has one of each.

Craig

·
Registered
03 Outback H6 base
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The amp is working when the radio, cd, or dvd is used so all is well! Thanks for bringing it to my attention. The NAV seems to work without the VSS wire but I'm still trying to verify the correct wire pin-out location. Here is the block located under the dash above the fuse panel.

EDIT:

2003 OBW H-6 base w/amp and 7 speakers; Not a Macintosh. Thru my research I have learned it is pin E-4 Green/blk wire.

Corrected pic below: (Located under dash above fuse box.)

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.

Diagrams & pin location below. Click to enlarge:

A BIG THANK YOU!!! To SVXdc for the color code confirmation and the link that jar'd my thinking process! Which led to these diagrams below. :jump:

Click to enlarge:

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited Carbide Gray
832 Posts
David is a great guy and will help out all he can! I'm glad you've got it all working.

·
Registered
2001 VDC Wagon - White pearl - 302,000 km
466 Posts
How on earth were you able to open the door on the compartment below the HU? I am just undergoing a similar double DIN install and my door won't stay closed, because the button is engaged into the woodgrain bezel as soon as it closes. Even if I could get it to close, I can't "easily" engage the button to open it. I would prefer to use the compartment, but I am forced to use the pocket.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.