Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just purchased a Outback 2.5i Base model. 2018. Does anyone know if the dealer will install additional features later on? (i.e. Heated Seats, Dual Zone Climate Control, Rear USB ports, etc...)

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
350 Posts
Seriously? No, of course not. I suppose it would theoretically be possible but would cost far more than just the incremental cost of the higher trim level.

Sent from my BTV-W09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Generally speaking, no.

The dealers aren't trained for that, and while they can sell the parts needed they aren't set up in kits and there are no published instructions- just instructions for replacing these parts in vehicles that were originally equipped with those features. Dealers don't really want to risk doing custom work, and either way their rates are very high for techs not used to doing custom work.

The good news is that seat heaters and rear USB ports are easy to add in a generic sense. Upholstery shops and/or stereo shops can handle this work, and they are pros.

The bad news- dual zone climate is a big no. A huge amount of labor must be done to convert from manual to auto climate. You would save money by trading in your week-old car on another that already had auto. Enjoy what you've got!

Full disclosure, my wife and I bought a brand new Toyota last week. I then spent a few hundred bucks buying options not included in the trim we bought and adding them to the car. Counting that I've saved about $1600 vs. buying a higher level trim with all of that, and the only concessions were that the garage door opener and seat heater controls don't look the same as the built-in Toyota equivalents. I've done this before with other cars, and they're all different. You have to map out the things that are easy to change vs. the things that are difficult or expensive to change later.

·
Registered
2018 Limited 2.5i
638 Posts
I highly doubt it, ponying up at the time of purchase and buying a model already equipped will be far cheaper than having it done after the purchase.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited Eyesight - Remote Start - Auto Dimming In/Outside Mirrors
247 Posts
I had remote start installed after the fact.

I imagine things like maybe floor lights, door bumper guards, door wind breakers, trailer hitch ... things like that maybe ... could get installed by a dealer.

The guts of a car though, like seats or venting ... that would be hard after the fact.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited 3.6r
359 Posts
We just purchased a Outback 2.5i Base model. 2018. Does anyone know if the dealer will install additional features later on? (i.e. Heated Seats, Dual Zone Climate Control, Rear USB ports, etc...)
Yes and no, the dealer will only offer the 'dealer installed options' such as the auto dimming rearview mirrors, fog lights, or bumper guards.
This however won't stop you (and shouldn't :)) from getting a pair of used leather seats with heating functionality. Obviously your milage may vary in terms of usability and how well it will work with the car after the fact.
Things like the memory seats, the auto climate, and the eye sight cameras are almost vehicle specific and are almost impossible to retrofit.
I added Rear seat USB ports to mine with a small drill bit. I looked at getting the leather seats for the premium, almost got them, but upgraded instead.
Happy modding

1 - 6 of 6 Posts