Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium Graphite w/ All Weather
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So because it appears the original Double-DIN shroud for my new headunit may have wound up in recycling :( I have to wait until tomorrow to begin installing my new unit :D

With that, does anyone have questions or want more information about parts of an install that weren't covered by Taiguy's and rockthebeef's install logs? I can try to document those and post here. Also, I plan on playing around with an oscilliscope to maybe figure out how the overhead mic works.

My Build:
JVC KW-AV70BT w/ KS-U30 cable - $345 Amazon
Metra 95-8903B Double DIN dash kit -$13 Amazon one-day shipping
AXXESS Interface for steering wheel control - $43 Amazon
SVXdc's 20pin harness - $13 + ship
SVXdc's aux harness with mic wires populated - $29
SVXdc provided custom USB connector + short Male USB cable - $7
(Equipment pulled from old car)
Alpine PDX-5 5 channel amp
Polk db6501's in the front
Alpine SPS-600's in the back
Kicker 07CVR104 (Will need to make a new custom fiberglass box for this when I find time and when it's warm enough) For now, my old 05' Outback Box may have to do.
Potential custom USB switch for console or KS-U30 input into HU
Mount for iPhone (Don't know where yet...)

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited Carbide Gray
832 Posts
The radio wiring in my '12 was actually a 70-1761 Metra 87+ Toyota harness and you might need to add RCA tips to the harness as well as moving the amp remote wire. Since you have a premium I would pull the radio and verify as to which harnesses you will need. I seem to remember someone documenting what wiring they had behind the radio of their '13.

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,111 Posts
No questions - just jealous. Looks like a great setup. I'll probably hear it all the way here in MD. Good luck with the install.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The radio wiring in my '12 was actually a 70-1761 Metra 87+ Toyota harness and you might need to add RCA tips to the harness as well as moving the amp remote wire. Since you have a premium I would pull the radio and verify as to which harnesses you will need. I seem to remember someone documenting what wiring they had behind the radio of their '13.
I went over the model number of my stock HU with SVXdc and he seemed to believe it was the 20 pin one he specified. I'll be taking it out this evening and I'll probably post some pictures for verification for others.

What RCA tips are you referring to? Hooking up the center console Auxiliary 3.5mm jack into my new HU? The secondary harness will be used for that (if I end up using it) As of now I think I may be hooking up my iPhone cable into the RCA inputs for Video. I'm not sure if I have to use the audio RCA's if I'm using the video RCA for my iPhone, or if the audio transfers digitally still via USB.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I have the base stock HU. The really really crappy one :/ Terrible interface. Model CE617U1

·
Registered
832 Posts
David's the man, and if he thinks you'll need the 20 pin then I would take his word for it. He was alot of help to me when I installed my Kenwood.

In my case with an H/K in my Limited I had to solder RCA tips to the speaker wires going into the OEM side of the harness since the H/K amp needs low level inputs and used the RCA outputs of the Kenwood. Since you have a base model I don't think you'll have to.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Excited for the Pictures

I'm completely excited to see the pictures. I just purchased a 2013 Outback with the most basic stereo (with bluetooth phone) to install my gear I pulled from my FJ Cruiser.

Do you know if the steering wheel controls to control the phone still work with your aftermarket HU?

Where do I find SVXdc harnesses? I have never heard of them before.

·
Registered
832 Posts
In my case with a Kenwood radio and the ASWC, the phone buttons work once my wife has her phone linked.

As for the harness, SVXdc is guy that has on here as well as a few other Subaru forums and has an immense amount of knowledge when it comes to the wiring aspect. He is very helpful, but busy and will get back to you as soon as possible if you have any questions. He runs a website on the side here: Subaru radio and radio wiring harness information and generally can get harnesses out within a few days.

·
Registered
2012, OUtback Limited 3.6R. All options except Navi. Green Cypress
31 Posts
Lashlee, why did you go with Polk in front, Alpine in back? Why not components (Polk) all around..?

Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Lashlee, why did you go with Polk in front, Alpine in back? Why not components (Polk) all around..?

Good luck and have fun!

I'm still all factory for the drivers, that is Douglas D that is using the Polk's up front and Alpine's in the rear. It could be that the Alpine's were cheaper, sound better, more efficient, etc... Whenever I do the install in the OB I'll put a set of Hertz three ways HSK163's up front and keep the rears factory.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Any updates on this project ?

I have a premium '13 ob and the radio is just aweful.. I can't even figure out what sounds so bad but the interface is surely completely low tech. I rented of all things, a Prius (it was same price as a sentra so why not?) and the interface was so sensible .. easy.. did it all.. fast to read a thumb drive.. bluetooth to my old phone.. not one complaint..

I have no idea what HU to put i.. I have the backup camera in the mirror so i guess have no need to redo any of that and feed into the HU and while I don't need to integrate nav into it... when for $100 i can get a garmin.. but perhaps I would want to just get it all in the HU (as long as its easy to update maps down the road ).

Any suggestions from folks on HUs ?

Also.. if I just replaced the HU.. would things sound better right off the bat or do I really have to replace speakers (and that capacitor that has been mentioned as being on the dash speakers to act as some rudimentary cross over ) ?

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,822 Posts
my friend who helped me install my radio has been installing car stereos about 15 years. showed me to put the mic on top of the A pillar trim by the corner of the windshield. he says he does that in all cars he installs mics into. works very well. also i have alpine speakers up front, pioneers in back, and a horrible pioneer sub. the door speakers will make my ears hurt at high volume levels. for headunits i'd advise against kenwood, i have one, its so unbelievably hard to use. i like the pioneer avic HU in my wife's car.

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
Sounds like a nice setup! I've had great luck with JVC headunits and though I haven't heard Polk's car speakers, I have Polk Monitor 40 and 70 speakers at home that are awesome.

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Touring (Wilderness Green)
376 Posts

Also.. if I just replaced the HU.. would things sound better right off the bat or do I really have to replace speakers (and that capacitor that has been mentioned as being on the dash speakers to act as some rudimentary cross over ) ?
I got fed up with the head unit in my premium 13 as well, but for slightly different reasons. It sounds okay once you are done tweaking it (it takes some time to figure out good settings), but the features around Bluetooth and iPod connectivity have some deal-breaking bugs and/or design flaws.

I think it is hard to pick a unit for you, as tastes will differ. I went with the Sony XAV-701HD myself (it was less than 50$ more than the 601BT on sale when I grabbed it). It is a noticeable improvement without doing anything about the speakers. I wanted a good, fast interface for the iPod control as well, which meant a double-DIN touch screen.

The Pioneer double-DIN models that just came out are pretty good as well, but I was disappointed that they don't pull iPod audio over the USB port, and you need their proprietary dock cable instead. Cheaper than the Sony models, but not quite as responsive.

If you really want Nav, the Kenwood units are one way to go. I wasn't a fan of the UI style, but they seemed to work well. Had a couple BT bugs that their single-DIN models didn't have when dealing with audio streaming. Kinda weird.

If you just need something that works, there are plenty of good single-DIN models. JVC models also get good reviews, although I don't have direct experience with them.

As for the speakers, I'm sure you can do better than the stock speakers. But I'm a fan of not changing too much all in one go. If the head unit is a source of problems, swap it out, and then decide if you need something more. The capacitor as a rudimentary crossover isn't really a big problem on its own. It's mostly to avoid sending lower frequencies through the mid-tweets than anything else. But again, this is really personal preference, so it's hard to say what you should do.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey all, sorry I have not put any pictures up of the install. I don't have too many to show off, as most of what was done has been covered by others. I will try to find my camera that has some of the wiring I did, but it seems to be MIA in my garage 0_o I do have a few pictures to show, and am posting them below the replies.

I'm still all factory for the drivers, that is Douglas D that is using the Polk's up front and Alpine's in the rear. It could be that the Alpine's were cheaper, sound better, more efficient, etc... Whenever I do the install in the OB I'll put a set of Hertz three ways HSK163's up front and keep the rears factory.
You're right Lashlee. I wanted some coaxial 2-ways were rated better. When I looked at the Polk DB651 at the time, the extra cost to put those in weren't worth it to me.

I have no idea what HU to put i.. I have the backup camera in the mirror so i guess have no need to redo any of that and feed into the HU and while I don't need to integrate nav into it... when for $100 i can get a garmin.. but perhaps I would want to just get it all in the HU (as long as its easy to update maps down the road ).

As far as the JVC I have... I've had it in for a couple months now and have some good and some bad to say about it.

I have an iPhone 4s and ran it on iOS5 and iOS6 and connected it to the JVC via Bluetooth for phone(and music sometimes when someone wants to see my phone) and direct connect via the 30-pin dock. I purchased a cubbymount from GPS Cubby Mounts - Subaru Legacy & Outback - Start the last time I was Portland and it is working out quite well. Unfortunately, to reach my phone with the stock iPhone cable the JVC comes with, I had to order a 30-pin iPhone extension cable or it wouldn't route through my cubby to my phone.

When I do connect my phone sometimes, it doesn't show on the HU that I'm playing anything, showing the audio as "stopped," but the iPhone is playing music without a problem. There seems to be some missed handshaking going on. I haven't seen any updates from JVC to fix something like this.

Video playback is fine on the unit, although a little slow to load from USB.

Sound is quite nice and I noticed a bit of a difference when I installed the HU before I replaced the stock speakers. I'd say you'll probably get better sound out of the stocks if you put in a better HU. I hate the stock one with a passion. I'm tempted to go Office Space with a baseball bat to it.

my friend who helped me install my radio has been installing car stereos about 15 years. showed me to put the mic on top of the A pillar trim by the corner of the windshield. he says he does that in all cars he installs mics into. works very well. also i have alpine speakers up front, pioneers in back, and a horrible pioneer sub. the door speakers will make my ears hurt at high volume levels. for headunits i'd advise against kenwood, i have one, its so unbelievably hard to use. i like the pioneer avic HU in my wife's car.
Thanks for the tip on the mic placement. Right now I have it just to the left of the sunglasses holder, with the metal part of the mic clip wedged between the plastic housing and the headliner. I may move it if it'd help with background noise when I'm talking on the phone.

Onto my pictures! I wanted to do custom mounting for the front speakers, but unfortunately/fortunately I'm too lazy to manufacture anything or pay a friend to makerbot it or something (also too lazy to CAD it up too) So the next best thing? Grind down the stock one and mount the speakers to it. First I cut the old speaker out like some others have done, using tin snips to snap the struts and then grinding them down with a dremel. Then, I took an X-Acto knife and cut out the foam protector at the top, shown separate from the housing below.

You can see there is a lip here that taiguy's build said to grind down.

I don't have a sander to do this, nor have the patients to do it with a dremel. So the next best thing? Your driveway :) Just take the housing to a rough piece of concrete and start going in circular motions, applying some pressure (evenly) to make a flat surface.

Afterwards, follow what Taiguy did with his install to adhere the speakers to the housing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts