Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2018 outback with the 2.5
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a bare bones 2018 outback for the wife. A month after purchasing she asked if fog lights could be installed. Wonder if the car is already hard wired and merely needs lights, mounts, switch and possibly a relay to install.
Anyone done this?
Thanks

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,161 Posts
The factory wiring harness is already in place. Part number for the Subaru kit is H451SAL100. You can find the installation instructions here.

·
Registered
2012 OB , 2017 Impreza
3,294 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Outback 2.5i base
445 Posts
Will this work on 2019 base model outback?
NO! I ordered the 2018 fog light kit assuming it would work on my 2019 base model and found the intended location for the supplied switch is already occupied by the “eyesight off” switch.

I am still struggling to get my kit working but am having to deal with several issues. When I get it going I’ll publish the mods I had to make, but for right now it is NOT plug and play to put the 2018 kit in the 2019 base. Save your $200+.

The bulbs themselves fit perfectly in the empty holes, and the wiring harnesses are there and wired correctly. The supplied relay fits correctly in the empty slot for it in the under hood relay and fuse box.

The problems are:

1. the new switch location is already occupied in the 2019 base.

2. The existing fog light wiring harness for the switch requires a little mod to plug into the new switch.

3. After fitting the existing harness to the new switch and mounting the switch in another blank spot in the panel, the switch does not pick up the fog light relay.

When I pick up the relay by jumpering, the fog lights come on, but I’m going to have to troubleshoot to see why the fog light switch doesn’t do it.

I think I have a handle on it, but will say no more until I get it working.

·
Registered
‘19 Subaru Outback 2.5i
11 Posts
NO! I ordered the 2018 fog light kit assuming it would work on my 2019 base model and found the intended location for the supplied switch is already occupied by the “eyesight off” switch.

I am still struggling to get my kit working but am having to deal with several issues. When I get it going I’ll publish the mods I had to make, but for right now it is NOT plug and play to put the 2018 kit in the 2019 base. Save your $200+.

The bulbs themselves fit perfectly in the empty holes, and the wiring harnesses are there and wired correctly. The supplied relay fits correctly in the empty slot for it in the under hood relay and fuse box.

The problems are:

1. the new switch location is already occupied in the 2019 base.

2. The existing fog light wiring harness for the switch requires a little mod to plug into the new switch.

3. After fitting the existing harness to the new switch and mounting the switch in another blank spot in the panel, the switch does not pick up the fog light relay.

When I pick up the relay by jumpering, the fog lights come on, but I’m going to have to troubleshoot to see why the fog light switch doesn’t do it.

I think I have a handle on it, but will say no more until I get it working.

I’m keeping an eye out for your latest on this subject. I purchased a base 2019 with the intention of putting in fog lights later... then I found your post. I hope you’re having good luck with this. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 OB / 2008 Impreza / 1985 FJ60
158 Posts
Im on the same boat, but remember seen a kit being sold which included the Baja Design pods....
Anybody knows what im talking about ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I bought the 2018 kit and the fog light switch from 2019- on the stalk- turn signal 83115AL07A. Still doesn't work. The extra pins were in harness it plugs into. Going to try to find wiring diagram or follow them back to see if there is another connect that needs to be made. The 2019 base has a lot of wires and harnesses wrapped in blue tape not being used- I wonder what else that could be added.

·
Registered
3 Posts
For reference, the items to install the 2018 fog light on a 2019 Base OB are -

1. 2018 Fog light kit
2. Turn signal stalk
3. 7.5a fuse on ‘ALT-S’

Is there any special wiring we need to do for the turn signal stalk? Or is it relatively plug and play from there? Thanks much!

·
Registered
2019 Outback
765 Posts
What's involved with changing the turn signal switch?

So the relay is not needed or is?

·
Registered
12 6mt outback
1 Posts
I can confirm the 2018 fog light kit along with the switch do work. Changing the turn signal was a pain but not unmanageable. Took about an hour with a common tools.

I do have a problem now. My gauges are lit up with the ABS, Brake and eyesight disabled when driving. I took a few test drives to see if it would clear and I used my scanner and the car has no faults but the dash is lit up. Any ideas how to reset? Does the car need to re-learn the new parts?

Thanks for any advise

1 - 18 of 18 Posts