Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are the details of how I installed the JDM (japanparts.com, Japanparts Number: 513-001-001) on a Gen 4 Outback (2015 Outback Limited with sunroof and eyesight) by dropping the headliner, removing the old rails and installing the JDM rails. I think all the details are captured correctly, if not, PM me for clarification.

Tools utilized:
Phillips screw driver – regular size (#1) and one that is a little heftier (#3)
Stubby Phillips screw driver
Ratchet with 10mm socket, 3 in extension, 6 in extension (I used two 3 in extensions together)
10 mm wrench
Tools from an interior trim removal kit
Note – I know a lot of folks are worried about the air bags, but you never even come close to the sensors that would trigger them to be deployed. I did not unplug my battery, but you can if you want.

Remove pillar trim:
The headliner is held in place by the pillar trim, roof lights, and to some extent, the trim around the doors / rear gate. The first step is to remove all the pillar trim. I started in back and moved my way forward. The right and left side are the same, expect for the driver side D pillar which contains the automatic gate opener. The majority of the trim pieces are just held in with snap clips that just require you to pull the trim out, but the D and B pillar trims do have a screw each and the C pillar trim has a rivet clip (like a fender clip) that needs to be loosened before it is pulled out.

D pillar – On driver side, remove the cover to access and remove the clip that is holding the automatic lift gate arm in place. There are 3 pull out tabs and 1 screw holding the D pillar trim in place, but to get to that one screw, you need to remove the lower panel of the trunk. To do this access and remove three screws under trim pieces in the trunk area; 1) screw under the handle that releases the back seats, 2) under the bag hanger/hook and 3) where the cargo cover clips into place. Once those screws are removed, pry the lower panel out and access the screw with a stubby Phillips screw driver (in the pic, I have the trunk floor out… you’ll only have to remove your trunk floor if you drop that screw behind the trim work like I did). Once you have the screw in the D panel removed, you can pull out the D pillar trim.

C pillar – once the D pillar trim is removed, you’ll see one black rivet like clip that needs to be loosened and then removed. Once that’s out, you can pull the C pillar trim out.

B pillar – pop off the Air Bag badge and remove the screw (the screw has a gasket washer, so it actually remains in the trim once fully loosened). Then, starting at the top of the trim, pull out the trim and then lift the trim up and out. Once removed, just let this trim piece dangle on the seat belt. Note - The body B pillar trim (below window) was loosened at the top to pull the upper trim piece out.

A pillar – just pull at the top of the trim piece to partially remove this trim piece (piece doesn’t not need to be fully removed).

Removing things in the headliner: lights, hand grips, sun visor:

Roof / ceiling lights – pry off the light cover, remove light and then pull down / pull out the plastic housing. Unplug the electric.

Hand grips – flip down the hand grips and you’ll see a little piece of trim that pops off. Pop this off, squeeze the metal together and pull out the hand grip.

Sun visor – remove trim piece on the pivot arm and remove two screws. To remove the visor clip near the middle of the car, you’ll need to push a trim remove tool underneath the clip (between clip and headliner) on both the right and left side of the clip at the same time and then pull down.

Moon roof – remove the rubber molding that goes around the headliner / moon roof.

Eye Sight / map light consol – I tried to remove this without any luck, so left it in place and it wasn’t an issue.

Rear seatbelt in ceiling – no need to do anything with this.

Now the headliner:
It’s ready to be pulled down.
Start in back. There are 3 clips along the back. I started on one side and moved to the other.
Move to the moon roof – there are a couple of clips right around the rear passenger ceiling light. Just push down gently to dislodge these clips.
Move to the rear front / rear doors to dislodge the headliner (if it’s caught up at all) from the rubber door trim.
The headliner should now be dropped!

Removing the roof rails:
The roof rails are held in with seven 10 mm nuts and bolts. All but one of the nuts are easy to access with a socket wrench – just go to town on these. I utilized a six inch extension to remove the most rear nut and a 3 in extension on all the rest. Now the one nut that’s a pain… it is tucked up under some air bags near the B pillar. And at least in a moon roof car, it’s a pain to get to. You may be able to just take your time and slowly work this nut off, but I ended up loosening two screw clips that hold the air bags in place. Loosening these clips gave me just enough room to turn the nut about an eighth of a turn. Ah, it was a pain, but just take your time. Once all the nuts are off, pull the NA rails off!

Before putting the JDM rails, check to make sure all the paint around the holes are in good shape. In you have any chips, it would be a good idea to put some touch up paint on these. The roof rail screws come with rubber gaskets, but you may also want to use a dab of automotive silicone. Time to drop the JDM rail in place. I started at the front and made sure the trim was tucked under the front windshield trim. After you have the roof rail under the window trim, snap the first and only fastener in place (you may need to install a rivet, I did not) and then drop the rest of the rail in place.

Put everything back together – simply reverse our order.

I'll post some additional pics with my Thule equipment in a few days.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Awesome write-up!
Thanks for doing this- lotsa folks will do this mod and what you've done here will help immensely.
I'll be honest- I'm not looking forward to the work but it doesn't look like it will take more than 3 hours or so...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome write-up!
Thanks for doing this- lotsa folks will do this mod and what you've done here will help immensely.
I'll be honest- I'm not looking forward to the work but it doesn't look like it will take more than 3 hours or so...
I wasn't looking forward to it either, but everything went smoothly.

I think my install took about 4 hours. It took me 6 hours to do the install while grilling numerous meals on the BGE.

·
Registered
67 Posts
You're the man PSHome! I think I will give this a try. Do you have eyesight on your subie? If so, were there any issues with the headliner and the eyesight mechanism?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're the man PSHome! I think I will give this a try. Do you have eyesight on your subie? If so, were there any issues with the headliner and the eyesight mechanism?
I do have eyesight. No issue. I attempted to remove the eyesight/map light cover without any luck, so just left it in place. The headliner dropped down enough to access all the screws.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what do these offer? stock doesn't have them, looks, certain equipment works better, bigger, smaller....?
For me, the JDM rails offer a combination of improved looks and versatility. I just simply like the look of the JDM/EUR rails. Plus, the JDM rails with Thule equipment will be about 2-4 inches shorter than the NA OEM system. Every inch counts when you're only 5'4" and have bad shoulders.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Great info. Thanks much! Looks like not too difficult, just a lot of stuff to remove and replace. I'll be ordering the JDM rails soon.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Bump - any news on this PSHome? Wondering if any issues with water leaks or gaps? Looks way better than our plastic racks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Great writeup PShome.
I am in Australia.

I have contacted JDM using your part number and they are unable to confirm whether your rails will fit on my 2016 Subaru Outback 2.0 Diesel Premium, generation 5? with Eyesight.

I can't see why not as I don't think there are big differences between the 2015 and 2016 models.

With the best of your knowledge do you think the rails you have for your 2015 will fit on my 2016 Outback?

Regards

John

·
Registered
60 Posts
Does anyone know where I can find a interior trim panel diagram? I want to see the rivets, etc. Great write-up, I plan on doing this soon.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The diagram for those parts looks like the big plastic rack, not the low profile. Sure that's right?
No, I'm not sure, I'm only going off that it's straight off the Subaru parts site and says fits the Touring models.

On another thread they note the same P/Ns, too.

I went to my dealer parts dept. a few days ago and this is what I found out re: touring roof rails....

We were able to find the part on Subarus Electronic ordering system but it was showing the part as "processing". Apparently, the part is still to new, so it isn't even available as a replacement part yet. The system did allow me to create an invoice, but would not confirm an order as of yet. In other words.. when its available, it will ship.

Here is the actual Subaru Part #'s for the rail (includes end caps):
91151AL210 $312.20 (Retail) $249.76 (DEALER COST)
91151AL200 $312.20 (Retail) $249.76 (DEALER COST)

I also contacted kamispeed.com who is out of Florida. They import a lot of parts from Japan and work with JDM. I showed them the japanparts.com roof rail:
https://www.japanparts.com/parts/list.php?dl=1&cm=189&md_sm=2:35

Kamispeed.com responded back via email and said they are now discussing with their contact in Japan about the legwork involved to import the above JDM roof rail into the US. I told them about this forum and that there was a growing interest to get the Touring rails for the lower end models. I will let everyone know when I get any updates.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anyone tried or considered just removing the factory rails (as detailed in this tread) and installed Thule or Yakima tracks in the rain gutter and calling it a day? Seems much cheaper than installing JDM rails. I estimate I could pick up a track for $160, 4 podium feet for $200, and that would be well under the $600 for just the JDM rails.

I'm no expert on this, so any advice or feedback would be much appreciated!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
About this Discussion
65 Replies
36 Participants
bob_palo
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing