Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WHat is the best way to removed the factory installed antenna and install an XM antenna on top of the roof?

What is the best point of entry and way to run the cable back to the front of the car?.

Also does the Pioneer GEX-P920XM fit behind the dash under the HU?

I haven't bought it yet but I heard it's a big box.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
There is all manner of things that seem to be wrong here.

1) What are you trying to do? Do you have XM in the car now?

If there is an "antenna" on the roof you already have the factory unit and simply need to activate it. No need to do anything else.

2) Pioneer GEX-P920XM is and after market unit that will not work with the stock HU in the car. If you want to use that unit you would also need to get a new aftermarket HU as well.

The antenna that comes with could be installed anywhere. I ran an antenna wire from a portable unit under the carpet along the door trim and through the driver's side tail light to get the antenna on the roof near the hatch.

Then I got smart and got the factory unit on ebay for cheap. There are some downsides like the display not showing more than 9 letters or scroll artist/song title but it works.

Strongly advise not drilling holes or removing factory stuff from the roof unless completely necessary like it's damaged.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
reception with the OEM antenna being inside the car is not the best. Hello Subaru antenna should be on the roof!!

I am planning in getting a Z140bh with the Pioneer GEX-P920XM. I have the OEM radio with the sirius package which I plan to sell. I just want to know if the Pioneer GEX-P920XM is the same size of the OEM sirius unit so I can re-use the brackets that came with the OEM radio.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
reception with the OEM antenna being inside the car is not the best. Hello Subaru antenna should be on the roof!!

I am planning in getting a Z140bh with the Pioneer GEX-P920XM. I have the OEM radio with the sirius package which I plan to sell. I just want to know if the Pioneer GEX-P920XM is the same size of the OEM sirius unit so I can re-use the brackets that came with the OEM radio.
Awesome.

This now makes more sense to me. I thought about the reception problem a different way. I was going to try to put an antenna on the roof myself as I have an extra antenna from my portable unit, but I haven't got around to it yet. The antenna that comes with that unit is the same you can buy straight out. Why not try an outside antenna first?

The connectors are not the same but I think I can make it work but installing a new connector. Need to research if that is possible or not. I highly recommend a portable unit if you are going aftermarket anyway. The ability to move the unit from car to car or car to home was a real advantage. You also would no longer need a new HU.

I would not worry about getting it to fit.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/p...1221/262173424GEXP920XMInstallationManual.pdf

Wouldn't you need to sell the brackets with the factory unit anyway?

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,868 Posts
WHat is the best way to removed the factory installed antenna and install an XM antenna on top of the roof?

What is the best point of entry and way to run the cable back to the front of the car?.

Also does the Pioneer GEX-P920XM fit behind the dash under the HU?

I haven't bought it yet but I heard it's a big box.
...I hear ya on this one. Our Canadian, limited loaded version ('10 '11 at least) has the sirius antena stuck to the upper right corner of the front windshield...inside of course. I have often thought about getting it put to the outside on the back center of the roof because there are times that signal is an issue.

I started this type of thread here....http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-gen-4-2010-present/36267-satelite-antenna-retrofit.html and had a few replies...but I am still looking for a solution that will work.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited Carbide Gray
832 Posts
My antenna is up on the roof, on the outside. It's a small shark fin style antenna. When I installed the Kenwood unit in my '12 I used the OEM connector and antenna with the aftermarket brain. I had to notch out the side of the new brain but that was much easier than running the new antenna.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts