Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Outback H6 LL Bean , 94 Ford Aerostar
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
9,670 Posts
There are many oil drain valve choices but the Fumoto is the tried and true, simple and effective. The others might be just as good or better in some respects but given the decades of use of the Fumoto it's basically the default "known good" choice. Some other oil drain valves have come and gone.

If you have your car worked on by anyone else, they will instantly recognize a Fumoto (or its clones) and how to work it. These other brands - maybe, maybe not?

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Outback Wagon LLBean 3.0R Automatic
1,024 Posts
What say you ???
For my gen3 H6, I vote None

On Gen3 3.0 motors, any of the oil drain devices will stick out towards the ground and reduce ground clearance by 1/2". That means the drain can hit the ground (offroad).

This does not apply to 2.5 motors, nor 3.6 motors in later generations.

here are the cliff notes:

I asked Primitive if their 2006 Subaru 3.0 H6 skid plate works with a Fumoto, they said no,
not enough clearance below the drain plug,

fwiw, starting w 2010 H6 models, the fumoto does clear the Primitive skid plate. Because the 3.6 oil drain sits higher relative to other structures under the car, than the 3.0 oil drain.

you can read this link for more info and scroll up the page for more photos:

If you have your car worked on by anyone else, they will instantly recognize a Fumoto (or its clones) and how to work it. These other brands - maybe, maybe not?
agree, plus that Valvomax has a check valve, so removing the cap wont work, unless the matching drain hose is provided..

most likely a service tech would just remove the whole plug to drain the oil, once they realize removing the cap does not work.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premier 2.5i
994 Posts
I'm waffling on these. I was a class A mechanic for 25 years in Ontario (retired) and I don't do much work for myself anymore (family is a different story). I raised the issue of the Fumoto (sp?) valve to my friend who owns a shop (also retired from the same place of employment). He didn't seem impressed but maybe he wasn't familiar with the actual product I was proposing. However, I watched him struggle with removing the drain plug, and then there was the "what the heck is the torque on this?" issue afterwards (thanks forum, for answering that question!). I've also seen Subaru post a TSB that those who deform their oil pan due to not properly applying removal force to the plug are not to be granted warranty. So there's that too. Maybe if I buy one he'll appreciate it eventually.

BUT question for those who have - how long does it take to drain a 2.5 with the Fumoto? I see that the time mentioned in the the product link posted here is 10 minutes. That's not good for those who get paid by the hour.

·
Registered
05 GT wagon, 09 Spec B, 18 3.6R Outback
1,147 Posts
Have 3 Fumoto drain valves currently. IMO one of the best things I've added to the cars. I put a short hose on the nipple, the other end in a emprty jug, open the valve.

Easy !

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
9,670 Posts
While the Fumoto drains the bulk of the oil more slowly, once it reaches the dribble phase it doesn't matter whether it's a fumoto or a drain plug removed.

So excluding the dribble phase I would estimate that a regular fumoto (not using a drain hose) takes twice as long to drain. On my 2020 F108SX using a hose, I would estimate it takes 4x as long. With the bolt removed it might take 30 seconds and with the Fumoto and hose it takes 2 minutes. These are just guestimates based on subjective impression.

In a shop scenario with the car in the air and air tools in the hand, a plug will be faster - but WAIT!

For a homeowner using a drain plug changing the oil means opening a drawer, getting the tools, ideally including a torque wrench for fastening, a crush washer, draining into a pan, putting a crush washer on, torquing it down to spec, draining the drain pan (at least I do).

With a fumoto you get under the car and attach the hose, open the spigot and it drains right into a 5 quart jug or whatever. You might need to watch to not overflow your container but you can easily turn the spigot off, change container and start the flow again. Even if it takes an extra 90 seconds for the drain phase, you're saving more time in terms of it being tool-less, mess-less.

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Outback Wagon LLBean 3.0R Automatic
1,024 Posts
That's not good for those who get paid by the hour.
those are not the people Fumotos are for :)

Fumotos are for people that do their own oil changes,
including people that dont have a lift, dont have ramps, dont own a torque wrench, dont have oil catchers on extendable poles, dont have airtools...

Fumoto people want the oil to go into a jug they can drop off for recycling. Without having to use and clean a funnel, oil drain pan, etc.

unfortunately, on my gen3 6cyl, like the OP has
a Fumoto or any other drain, is not a complete solution
I still have to use a drain pan to catch the oil when I change the oil filter,
I cant put a fumoto on the drain, if I want to use a skid plate (not enough clearance),
or if I put a fumoto on without a skid plate, and I go offroading..
Ive created a point of contact...
not a problem for 3.0 cars that stay on pavement
not a problem for 4 cyl and 3.6 motors

1 - 7 of 7 Posts