Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Outback w/Eyesight, Venetian Red Pearl
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard it mentioned that some insurance companies offer a discount for Eyesight. I don't think mine does (Auto Club of SoCal). Does your insurance offer a discount, and if so, what is the company's name?

·
Registered
6,093 Posts
I'm with SafeCo for my vehicles and homeowners. No specific discount for eyesight.

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Limited Forester (hers) (4th Subie), 2014 Impreza Premium (mine)(#5)
2,298 Posts
I am with Liberty Mutual.
Since we partner with Liberty Mutual, I've talked with our rep about this in the past.

While it's not a specific Eyesight discount, each model (option package) of car has different rates. So if you ask for a quote for an eyesight car, it's (at least supposed to be) at a different rate than if you ask for a quote on a non-eyesight car, because those quotes are tied in to the VIN.

And Liberty Mutual DOES have a discount for Subaru owners, which is tied in with the quote total they give you.

I've gotten quotes from Liberty Mutual before, and on car insurance, they were cheaper than anyone else. My problem is that, due to what homeowners costs, when I bundle that in, State Farm ends up being cheaper on the total. But that's what I get for living in Oklahoma, where there WILL be a lot of hail claims around the state every single year.

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,512 Posts
I heard it mentioned that some insurance companies offer a discount for Eyesight. I don't think mine does (Auto Club of SoCal).
That should be straightforward enough to find out. Find VINs for two similarly-equipped models in a dealer's online inventory list, one with Eyesight and one without, and ask for a quote on each.

·
Registered
2016 OB Limited Eyesight 2.5i
136 Posts
Since we partner with Liberty Mutual, I've talked with our rep about this in the past.

While it's not a specific Eyesight discount, each model (option package) of car has different rates. So if you ask for a quote for an eyesight car, it's (at least supposed to be) at a different rate than if you ask for a quote on a non-eyesight car, because those quotes are tied in to the VIN.

And Liberty Mutual DOES have a discount for Subaru owners, which is tied in with the quote total they give you.

I've gotten quotes from Liberty Mutual before, and on car insurance, they were cheaper than anyone else. My problem is that, due to what homeowners costs, when I bundle that in, State Farm ends up being cheaper on the total. But that's what I get for living in Oklahoma, where there WILL be a lot of hail claims around the state every single year.

I am switching from LM because they are insanely higher than anyone else for this car (2016 OB Limited 2.5i). If I am getting a discount for driving a Subaru, I'd hate to see what it costs for some other car.

·
Registered
18 Outback 3.6r Touring
619 Posts
The Subaru owner website claims a discount for owners. Not so much specific to eyesight. When I requested a quote last month at my renewal they were more then double my current esurance policy. With esurance our outback is the cheapest car to insure for our liability coverage. But it’s offset by its comp and coll coverage. Esurance, Allstate and LM told me it’s because of the high cost of parts and labor associated with Subaru’s.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R, 2013 Porsche Boxster S
30 Posts
I'm with State Farm and I got a discount on my 2017 OB w/Eyesight.
Do you mind if I ask how much is the discount? Is it a meaningful discount?

For everyone else, you may want to double check if you're getting all other standard discounts. Didn't know you could get a professional association discount? Are you part of an alumni group (if you graduated from college you're automatically part of an alumni group). Those are all valid discounts.

·
Registered
08 OB
242 Posts
I posted this on some other thread. I had to rejig my insurance, over a year ago. I have been with Liberty Mutual for eons from whenever they took over Prudential auto. While there may not be a LM discount per se for Eyesight, cars with Eyesight if quoted on their "new" system do get a discount. My insurance broker found that some of my cars were on the "old non discounted rate" and when all were eventually put on the "new rate" I saved many hundreds on the eyesight equipped cars. I have 7 vehicles and 3 under 21 kids so its difficult to say exactly how much the discount is worth but at least one car which the kids were not "assigned" to with Eyesight saw its previous rate cut by 200-300.

I just want to know why my insurance broker didnt figure this out earlier! But he did figure out they had been quoting way too high for my flood insurance after the Feds re rated my neighborhood a few years ago and he got LM to cut me a check for several thousand for several years of overpayments and my rates now are literally a fifth of what they were! If climate change dried up the nearby river, Im all for it :)

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R LBP "Dingo"
642 Posts
This topic has come up before and the OP should search for those threads. Most seem to indicate that they do not get a discount for Eyesight. We have Geico and my wife said they told her they were giving a discount for Eyesight. The insurance for our '16 OB 3.6R is cheaper than the '02 Ford Taurus wagon that we got rid of. So YMMV.

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6 '15 XV
90 Posts
The rate should be lower with EyeSight. A more important item is that accidents are LESS likely when you have a second objective opinion on board. I'm sure that AWD and EyeSight have benefited us financially. I think Liberty Mutual did give a discount to me, as my agent asked about the feature when getting the quote.

My quote just went down another 15% for one car and 17% for the other (both Subaru) from Liberty Mutual for RightTrack.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited w/ EyeSight - Lapis Blue Pearl
69 Posts
Something I also have learned is that in addition to discount differences among insurance companies, there are variations in what discounts insurance providers offer based upon the state in which the vehicle is registered. For example, we are insured through MetLife, and if I look on their webpage it will indicate they offer discounts for different safety items on your vehicle, but in the fine print it will indicate it can vary from state to state. Sure enough, in Idaho, I am eligible for very few discounts for the safety equipment in our Subaru. EyeSight and the StarLink services do not provide for any additional discounts for our policy.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have Geico and just added my Outback to our policy. When I selected my car there was a separate choice for a Premium with and without Eyesight. Beyond that though, I don't recall seeing a breakout of a specific discount related to it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts