Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited - Magnetite - LP Adventure lift
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in the process of ordering our 3.6 limited, I called my insurance company.

State Farm.

Was shocked to find out that from a 2015 golf sportwagen tdi SEL, to a 3.6R limited with e/s my insurance goes UP 86.00 every six months. What?

So for curiosity sake, I asked about the 2.5i limited with e/s. Again. Up 43.00.

No extra discount for eyesight other than if I had a medical rider.

I thought this was one of the cheapest cars to insure on the road? Am I missing something?

I've not had an at fault accident in 20 years. Last accident was 5 years ago when I got rear ended while at a stop light. No tickets since 2008.

Currently pay about 71.00 a month for the tdi in VA, and have since I bought it in 15.

I wonder if it's time to shop this. My insurance has been 65-72 bucks a month since 2011 when I moved here. Something seems hokey.

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
When talking to each other about insurance rates, they are pretty meaningless unless you also post exactly what you are getting for that rate.

Ridiculously low rates usually mean someone has the bare minimum state requirements instead of something that covers their butts in the event of an at fault accident. Also have to consider the deductibles.

Still have not figured out the rates on Subaru's. The insurance on my '15 OB was noticeably more than my wife's '14 Forester. Her '17 Forester was noticeably more than my '15 OB.

$14 a month doesn't seem unreasonable to me for a 3 year old newer car.

Reactions: jhodges

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Standard VA 50/100/50.

Just did an online quote with progressive. Tdi was 320 every 6 Mos. 3.6 2018 outback 298.

20 bucks cheaper instead of 86 more.

I smell hoke. That's a couple hundred bucks a year delta.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Wow I keep like 250/500 .. those minimums I think to myself I can imagine lots of things that will cost more than $50k to fix.

And last time I looked it wasn't much more. Figure that 98% of claims are finder benders and 2% (wild guess) are stupidly expensive so from actuarial standpoint they don't take a lot of risk raising coverage limits. And I feel a little better with higher coverage levels.

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
Wow I keep like 250/500 .. those minimums I think to myself I can imagine lots of things that will cost more than $50k to fix.

And last time I looked it wasn't much more. Figure that 98% of claims are finder benders and 2% (wild guess) are stupidly expensive so from actuarial standpoint they don't take a lot of risk raising coverage limits. And I feel a little better with higher coverage levels.
+1...I live in MD and the minimum is something really stupid like 30/15/30. I can't imagine having only that much coverage. Worse, I'm sure that is all many of folks driving around texting will have when they hit me.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
355 Posts
The longer you've been with the same insurance company, the more likely they are to ratchet up your rates. Has to do with them guessing that you're reluctant to shop around. Our State Farm policy got really expensive so we went to AAA and were amazed at what what we saved. Of course, in a few years we might have to start over again...

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Minimum here is 25/50/25. I just looked.

I have double that at 50/100/50. I know nothing of insurance and what's 'enough' but we do have a hurricane rider on our house, and I have extra on my firearms. This was what was suggested by my agent.

Problem is I get 400 bucks off my home owners policy, and I feel OK with state farm with that. You dont screw around with HOI in a hurricane zone / coastal region. Downed trees are our problem. But that's aside from this.

It offs me pretty good that Ive checked 2 places now, and the OB is cheaper than the TDI at both. I do not want to shop for insurance. I hate that feeling of getting shafted though. Couple hundred bucks a year wont break me, bu it does crawl under my skin.

·
Registered
2017 OB Limited 3.6
114 Posts
Kept the same coverage with State Farm when going from a 2010 Prius IV to a 2017 OB 3.6 Limited. My six month premium increased $5.00.

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
1,015 Posts
From a 2010 Outback to a 17 Impreza w/es my insurance dropped 3 dollars every 6 months

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R Touring, Lapis
58 Posts
What's the value of the car you're replacing?

What's the value of the brand new Subaru?

Increase in $$ coverage —I would think that's your answer.
If that logic were valid, why wouldn't your premiums go down every year with the value of your car? Mine don't, even if I keep the car for 10 years. That's because premiums are based on repair costs (which really don't go down with values), frequency of incidents and a lot of other factors than just value of the car.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
12,274 Posts
My insurance stayed the same moving from a 2015 2.5 into a 2017 3.6. Like within 5$.

The 2015 was also cheaper than the 2013 XV Crosstrek by about 20$ a month.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If that logic were valid, why wouldn't your premiums go down every year with the value of your car? Mine don't, even if I keep the car for 10 years. That's because premiums are based on repair costs (which really don't go down with values), frequency of incidents and a lot of other factors than just value of the car.

This. I find it damned irregular that 2 of 3 companies are lower on the OB, the third (mine) is a good bit higher.

I'd understand if it was a trend. My insurance is an outlier. (State farm)

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Outback 3.6R Touring arrived 8/31/2017
343 Posts
I also have State Farm, and I asked how things work, and got the answer that a good portion (certainly not all) is based on purchase price, which I'm expecting is for the potential total replacement cost if the worst happens.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited
208 Posts
These insurance companies are looking at far more than just the car. They consider your address, your credit score, age, past claim history, all kinds of crap. I've had the same insurance co for over 30 yrs and my rates have went down. Still it amounts to chump change, I look at it like the cost of doing business. What, I'm going to change companies to save how much? What's my time worth? To each their own I guess.

·
Registered
2018 OB Limited 3.6R
201 Posts
With Kemper I ended up with an increase of $18/mo moving from the 2016 OB to 2018 OB. They didn't have the 2018's in their system yet and had to base possible rebuild/repair costs on the MSRP. Sounded stupid to me but I plan on challenging it again in a month or two after they gather more data. A small increase isn't out of the question but that was a bit high IMHO. Will be time to shop insurance companies again soon anyway...

·
Registered
19 OB 3.6 Limited NAV, Pkg 2, Remote Start
145 Posts
2015 OB Limited to 2017 OB Touring both 3.6. State Farm increase $9 a month. Had checked with Allstate before and the premiums were very close.

·
Registered
2014 3.6R Limited
1,140 Posts
You need to check with a good independent agent!

Where I live State Farm is one of the higher insurers. Allstate was competitive up until a few years ago. Then they jacked my house insurance through the roof! Gieco and all the other TV blowhearts are always way higher!

I just got my insurance renewal. I have 250/500 with substantial uninsured motorist and a $1000 deductible. My rate is $352 every 6 months.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The problem is service.

Living in a zone where a hurricane can pass, you want a local agent and a solid company.

The increase is just enough to irritate, but not really enough to make me shop. Yet. One day I'll have he time and be irritated enough to. Its not good business, but I think stat farm is the largest or second largest.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts