Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Limited Tungsten on Black
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nice surprise! we had a 2008 Honda Civic EX-L Coupe and when we called to get new insurance on the Outback 3.6R Limited, found out we'll be paying a cheaper premium! THAT is a first! Never ever thought insurance premium would go down.

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,033 Posts
The Outback is a "Family Truckster", as such they expect the owners will be driving more responsibly. The Civic is widely associated with teens and "ricers". Also, the Outback probably has more safety features (more airbags) and gets you more of a discount that way.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium
20 Posts
Same thing here. My rate went down $50 when I traded in my 2005 Accord Coupe V6 6 speed for an Outback! The wife an I were pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
2015 2.5 Outback Premium w EyeSight
9 Posts
Nice surprise! we had a 2008 Honda Civic EX-L Coupe and when we called to get new insurance on the Outback 3.6R Limited, found out we'll be paying a cheaper premium! THAT is a first! Never ever thought insurance premium would go down.
:grin2:

Found the same true for me. My new '15 2.5i Outback Premium with Eyesight costs less to insure than the '15 2.5i Forester CVT Premium the Outback replaced. Same company, same coverages including replacement cost. My agent explained that there are less claims/repairs associated with Outbacks vs Foresters. Not sure if a different driver demographic or some combination of other factors can fully explain the difference. Whatever I'll take it!

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
The main reason for drop in insurance premium is the pilferage and costs of spare parts. It has nothing to do with drivers, etc.

The most stolen car last year was a used Honda Accord from various model years, with 53,995 units registered missing according to the NICB.

Car dismantlers report that Honda parts are in highest demand!
Dismantling business in Mexico (an in T.J.) is booming - just drive across the [email protected] San Ysidro...LOL

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
The main reason for drop in insurance premium is the pilferage and costs of spare parts. It has nothing to do with drivers, etc.

The most stolen car last year was a used Honda Accord from various model years, with 53,995 units registered missing according to the NICB.

Car dismantlers report that Honda parts are in highest demand!
Dismantling business in Mexico (an in T.J.) is booming - just drive across the [email protected] San Ysidro...LOL
Honda Accords and Civics are hot cars with thieves. But stats show they tend to be the older models.
https://www.geico.com/more/driving/auto/car-safety-insurance/top-10-most-stolen-cars/

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Honda Accords and Civics are hot cars with thieves. But stats show they tend to be the older models.
https://www.geico.com/more/driving/auto/car-safety-insurance/top-10-most-stolen-cars/
The minute you turn the ignition key on your new Honda, it becomes "older model"...you and I know it...LOL
I was amazed how many Honda parts are right across the border.

There is also this "dubious" service in L.A. whereas for $ 100 you can have the car "stolen" and it pops up in T.J. and it's dismantled for parts...
It's frequently used to defraud insurance companies or if you no longer can afford to make car payments...it's a jungle out there!

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
The minute you turn the ignition key on your new Honda, it becomes "older model"...you and I know it...LOL
I was amazed how many Honda parts are right across the border.

There is also this "dubious" service in L.A. whereas for $ 100 you can have the car "stolen" and it pops up in T.J. and it's dismantled for parts...
It's frequently used to defraud insurance companies or if you no longer can afford to make car payments...it's a jungle out there!
I was referring to the OP's '08 Civic. Newer cars are a bit tougher to use a shaved key to start it. That's why scumbags and lowlyfes choose early to mid-90's Hondas, Nissans, Toyotas, Integras and Saturns to steal. All can be started with a shaved key.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRBqpD2M3vM

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Limited Tungsten on Black
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got the paperwork in the mail
turns out our insurance premium is now down by 18% with the Outback from the 2008 Civic
That's a big discount for a new car! The Civic was 7 years old and NOT the Si model, but the EX-L 2 door Coupe, leather but just a small 4 cylinder no guts.
The new car is the fully loaded (minus eyesight) 2015 Outback 3.6R Limited!
18% !! What would the difference be when comparing two new vehicles I wonder, New Civic and new Outback.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Package 23
1,552 Posts
Mine went up $104.00. I went from a VW GTI and an older Mountaineer to one car. That certainly isn't what I was expecting.

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 2.5i Premium
60 Posts
Just received my semi-annual renewal for my State Farm Auto policy showing a 6% increase in premium for my 2017 2.5i Outback since the last premium 6 months ago. Notes on the coverage page indicate "the claim experience for your make and model of vehicle has resulted in an increase to your vehicle rating group for your comprehensive, collision, bodily injury and/or property damage coverages." With all of the safety features and ratings of the Subaru Outback I was quite surprised. I'll now be paying more than 14% more for the same coverage as compared to when I purchased the car new 3 years ago. Has anyone else seen a similar increase and/or notes on their insurance recently?Probably time that I shopped around.

·
Registered
486 Posts
going from a 2002 CLS to 2003 Legacy resulted in a $200 drop from $1100 to $900 every six. Going from the city to the country resulted in an additional $250 drop.

Total for 3 cars all 100/300/100 coverage with roadside and glass is $650 (2003,14 Legacy 2.5 and 2010 Outback 3.6R premium) is $650 every 6

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 2.5 w Eyesight
128 Posts
Just received my semi-annual renewal for my State Farm Auto policy showing a 6% increase in premium for my 2017 2.5i Outback since the last premium 6 months ago. Notes on the coverage page indicate "the claim experience for your make and model of vehicle has resulted in an increase to your vehicle rating group for your comprehensive, collision, bodily injury and/or property damage coverages." With all of the safety features and ratings of the Subaru Outback I was quite surprised. I'll now be paying more than 14% more for the same coverage as compared to when I purchased the car new 3 years ago. Has anyone else seen a similar increase and/or notes on their insurance recently?Probably time that I shopped around.
Insurance needs to be shopped. It's like mobile phone plans - there is always a better deal and its super easy to switch. Loyalty is a thing of the past, and the companies created the monster. State Farm can be good especially if you have a good agent, but it is a one horse stable - you are at the mercy of one company. I used them for home insurance but even with "multi product discounts" I found cheaper and better insurance from my university alumni association for the cars (and eventually switched the home over as well).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts