Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who have enabled Starlink Security Plus (includes remote start) you might consider checking with your insurance company to see if they offer a discount for your vehicle having an installed tracking device. We were able to save an astounding 6 USD per year thru our insurance company. It was bit of a pain dealing our local broker but once they submitted the data we provided on the Security Plus features, the insurance company processed the change. It ain't much but 6 bucks feels better in our pocket than in their pocket.

·
Registered
2015 OB 2.5i Ltd replaced 2010 OB; 20 mm WRX rear sway bar & Michelin LXT Premier tires; replaced 2010 2.5 OB Ltd. City car is 2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Prem
504 Posts
We did this thru Safeco insurance in 2019, reduced our premiums by 15 & 18%. It required a tracking device that attached to our OBD port for 3 months. Of course our miles were lower than usual thanks to C-19. But I was told that the reduction would be long term. Minimal efforts, worthwhile IMO

·
Registered
466 Posts
far better fitting after market security with anti hijack ... trackers can be sniffed out and disconnected easy enough .. car thieves are not stupid now a days ... most of them carry a lap top and a relay box

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
2,056 Posts
far better fitting after market security with anti hijack ... trackers can be sniffed out and disconnected easy enough .. car thieves are not stupid now a days ... most of them carry a lap top and a relay box
I think the discount is for 'safe driving' rather than theft recovery.
'Data' was mentioned in other post which I interpret as data that shows when you are driving, how fast, where you go, etc.

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
1,056 Posts
Tried that with a popular Insurance company years ago. They claim after analyzing the data I was speeding or accelerating to fast a couple of times and I responded with- try to merger onto a freeway here and not accelerate fast. Anyway, my insurance went up instead of down. Of course I dumped that company .

·
Registered
2020 Onyx XT Autumn Metallic Green 3/13/20
46 Posts
When I made inquiry to my broker (a long time friend who has always done me right), the answer was that Starlink Security Plus did not qualify for any reduction because it was not attached to the car and was something that owner could turn on and off.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I made inquiry to my broker (a long time friend who has always done me right), the answer was that Starlink Security Plus did not qualify for any reduction because it was not attached to the car and was something that owner could turn on and off.
Yup, I received the same push back from my broker. But I'm persistent as **** and kept pushing. It's really up to an underwriter to make these decisions and not the broker.

Reactions: SilverOnyx

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i
3,106 Posts
had a co worker try that and their comment was not worth the savings as you basically have to drive like a snail to get any meaningful discounts.... he drives a 2013 Ford Fiesta aka a snail of a car

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, Cinnamon Brown Pearl
495 Posts
I have been saving over $200 a year (now $280 during COVID) with the State Farm Drive Safe and Save.

I do get dinged once in a while for acceleration or braking but it has not had a significant effect on the discount.

I was pleasantly surprised in how much the discount was. I expected less.

I am getting additional discount for anti-theft and other safety feature.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Yeah..... no. Don’t need a virtual nanny over my shoulder while I’m driving..... some save some money, most don’t. Brake hard to avoid the acts of other drivers and ya get dinged...ahuh. Do a quick run up onto a highway and ya get dinged again to avoid getting run over... nope. its a feature used by insurance companies to dole out indiscriminate punitive measures to save they money..... did ya notice the offer is...”save up to.....” what happens if you’re traveling at a legal 75mph and the insurance company doesn’t like that...oh...ya get dinged.

I pay around $400/yr for full coverage with no glass deductible and $250 collision deductible. They can keep their discount.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,552 Posts
Anyone gone with those plans that discount based on low mileage, like MetroMile, Allstate Drivewise/Milewise ?

·
Registered
2014 3.6R Limited
1,204 Posts
So do these things tell you when you get a ding while driving, or do you just have to wait until you get a bill?

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Limited Titanium
521 Posts
With toll transponders, smart phones, security cameras, credit cards, RFID devices, GPS etc, we already have enough tracking devices, I’m not wishing to add any more. It’s not “tinfoil-hat” stuff, just my desire to reduce ways for people tracking me and keeping some of my personal liberties and freedom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
These insurance trackers are just the tip of the iceberg. It's on the way that every car will have a transponder in touch with the cloud, as the easiest way to track all kinds of things: speeding, tailgating, illegal parking, tolls, DUI, DWOL, road usage taxes, traffic jams, theft, criminal getaways, an endless list. Here we go:

·
Registered
2019 2.5 Limited
17 Posts
I think the discount is for 'safe driving' rather than theft recovery.
'Data' was mentioned in other post which I interpret as data that shows when you are driving, how fast, where you go, etc.
My insurance company offers a theft recovery discount and a safe driving/data tracking discount. I said no to both, as the discount was laughable (I literally laughed when the agent asked if I was interested in their driving monitoring app).

I haven’t had a moving violation or an accident in over 10 years (knock on wood). I’ve got no interest in having my driving habits monitored and judged by my insurance company.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I tried to do that with a good insurance company. They claimed that after analyzing the data I was speeding up or accelerating a couple of times, and I replied that I was trying to merge here on the freeway, not accelerating fast. Anyway, my insurance went up, not down. Of course, I gave up on that company. So it's not just how much insurance costs, it's the reviews of people about it that matters. Many auto experts advised me Gabi Auto Insurance: My Insurance Quote Experience. This is a tool that shows all the insurance agencies with their services. So when I was looking for an agency for my first car I used this tool so I wouldn't overpay.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Outback Limited
41 Posts
I have been saving over $200 a year (now $280 during COVID) with the State Farm Drive Safe and Save.

I do get dinged once in a while for acceleration or braking but it has not had a significant effect on the discount.

I was pleasantly surprised in how much the discount was. I expected less.

I am getting additional discount for anti-theft and other safety feature.
I confirmed with state farm the device cannot make your insurance go up, fwiw.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts