Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 105,000+ miles
Uh, your question is a little vague and I don't think anyone will be able to answer it directly. If you are talking about which company provides the best rates I'll have to say State Farm. No one can accurately assess what your rate can or will be seeing as how all rates are subjective to the owner themselves and what policy you have with what company. I my self pay $617/6 months and have a terrible driving record and have full coverage with $50 deductables on my 2003 Outback H6-3.0 Wagon.

Registered
MY99 3rd Gen Outback GX, 2004 Lexus RX330 Sport Luxury
Hero Boots said:
I my self pay $617/6 months and have a terrible driving record

Too many speeding fines eh Kevin ? ;)

I need a fog horn, ,
2004 Outback Sport
I'll second State Farm. Best Ins. company I've had. I had a claim last year that was settled very quickly, and the premium didn't jump into the stratosphere. SF also lets you slide on your first speeding ticket (10 or under).

OBS Obsessed, ,
Well, I was with State Farm for 15+ years, have 2 life insurance policies through them, home owners, prior renters insurance, everything. I was receiving preferred customer and multiple policy discounts with them, the works....then, out of the blue for no reason whatsoever last year they jacked up my rates $100+ every 6 months. It amounted to close to a $250 increase over the course of a year for no reason at all.

I was pissed and called my agent and she said they had done it across the board and that they were losing a LOT of clients because of it. I switched to Geico and am getting the same rates I had with SF before the rate hike. I pay a little over $1100 a year to insure the Impreza and Legacy Wagon.

Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
I have been with Geico for decades - no big complaints, some confusion once making changes to my policy.
My homeowbers is with Amica and if I ever switch my auto I'm going with them. You get money back at the end of the year, reducing the cost a little('participating' insurance?). Also, I think progressive is making some strides to be very competitive, but I have no experience with them.

Go to the library and find the most recent Consumer's Report that has an article on auto insurance. It will educate you a lot.

Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
jarrett882, a lot of variables in insurance costs. Geographic location, age, marital status, driving record, type of vehicle, security for the vehicle, a garaged vehicle, how long of a commute to work, miles driven yearly... I have USAA and have been treated great. Except they just found out about my speeding ticket last year. We'll see how bad they treat me now. Brian

Super Moderator
2007 Outback H6 LL Bean - Champagne Gold Opal
Unitrin Direct - I HIGHLY recommend them.

Switched to them last year after my old ins. jacked the costs way up.
Unitrin gave me a better rate, and I've got 2 major accidents in the past 2 years and 5 speeding tickets (total over 8 years, none in the last 18 months though, and that's what most insurance companies pay attention to in NY.)

I'm pretty sure they have one of those handy rate calculators on their site.
http://www.unitrindirect.com/

Well I can say this about SF, after the multiple incidents I've had they've always had great service which has handled everything quickly and easily. They have by far the best customer service of any insurance company I've ever heard about. I can say that their across-the-board price hikes a nothing short of absolute BS but I'm sure about every other company would do something about the same in one way or another. Thats just how car insurance works and unfortunately none of us will ever be able to get out of the shadow of this scourge :(

Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
I am not sure how much it applies to the USA, but I've found here in Aus that you really have to get a new quote every year, one year one company will be cheaper, and the next year another will be the cheapest, there's really no consistent company being cheapest. I've sometimes saved $300 a year in premiums doing this.

Registered
2000 Outback 2.5L
I second Brian. Been using USAA. They've been excellent, no hassels on any of my dealings. Their car loans are incredible as well. From what I know, they are really hard to beat.

Has anyone ever worked with or heard any stories about Liberty Mutual? Subaru sent me a letter telling me about LM's new Subaru Advantage program, I called LM and got a quote which is lower than my current rate with SF. I am curious about them, the reviews I've read on the net are either filled with love or hate for LM with no real middle ground. Any experiences or stories you've heard would be highly appreciated :D

I need a fog horn, ,
2004 Outback Sport
My parents had Liberty Mutal when they lived in NJ, and they had nothing but trouble every step of the way with them.

Personally, I wouldn't even consider them.

Registered
Give Mercury a try. Especially if you have teenagers. 21st Century wanted $100 per month to add my 18 year old daughter. Even the 21st service rep suggested I try another company. Mercury added her and a full size Chevy truck for $800 per year.

Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
If you have been with a company for a few years, call and tentatively suggest you are gonna switch. Say the service has been OK but you found someone cheaper. Often they will say a new rate 'has just been approved' for you (yeah right!) and you might save 10-15%.

At present I am with geico - no big complainst, I may switch to Amica since that's who has my homeowners.

Consumer Reports (CU) may be a better place to check for service issues than the 'net.(the library will have an index and back issues) Though usually, it isn't the ins. co. when you have trouble, often it is the adjuster they use. If you don't like the first adjuster, call and complain and they will send someone else.

Registered
Liberty Mutual

I've had Liberty Mutual since I moved to NJ from NC in 97. I haven't really had any problems warranting insurance claims. Whatever happened was always somebody else's fault (i.e.: cars rolling into my driveway and hitting my parked car, etc.)

I really didn't have any problems with them. It is so hard to obtain insurance in NJ now, that I'll probably stick w/them. Since I also have my homeowners insurance with them, I get a multi-policy discount, safe-driver discount, airbag discount, ABS discount.

The premiums are high, though. Unfortunately, there aren't many companies left in NJ. I pay around $2400/yr for my 04 Prius and 00 OBS, full coverage for both w/$500 deductible.

One note: When my in-laws house was burned in 95. Liberty Mutual stepped up to the plate and paid w/o hassles. Hence, when we moved to NJ (that's where my in-laws live), we went w/LM.

My 2 cents....

tbert

1 - 16 of 16 Posts