Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a 2001 Subaru Outback H6 3.0 LL Bean Edition, and want to turbocharge it. I found an image of someone who turbocharged theirs, and want to know what turbo they used. I couldn't find the information, so I figured the best solution would be to figure out the intake manifold diameter of my car to find a turbo that would fit it. Does anyone know of a turbo that fits the Outback H6 3.0 or the intake manifolds diameter?
Thanks

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,120 Posts
Ok.

There are many ways to do this. However, you don't just bolt of a turbocharger to an intake. It matter a great deal what your build platform is.

The turbo is exhaust driven and the intake air MUST run through an intercooler of some type. Depending on the plan, a reversed throttle body with a FMIC is a easier way to DIY. It keeps all the intake and IC plumbing up front and the exhaust bit on the bottom and the rear.

The turbo to intake/TB connection can be made in many ways. It just depends on the plumbing. But, much more to worry about. Fuel system, injectors ... all the custom exhaust work. Who's going to tune it? The last boosted 3.0 we had around here was a Raptor supercharged and that was running WRX injectors, WRX ECU actually modified by 2 separate tuners. Both named Ed.

I think you need to dig a little deeper.

Perrin chronicles a build here....

https://www.perrin.com/blog/post/perrin-h6-build-up

·
Master Caster
16,120 Posts
70mm throttle body diameter. There is an upgraded race TB that is 80mm so it would follow the intake diameter is an 80mm maxed out by the race TB.

I saw your other thread. You need to research you build plan. But if your serious, you are going to need $5-$6K to do it even close to correctly. That's if you do all of the wrenching yourself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply. If I bring my Outback in to a local tuner shop, would they be able to set up everything for a turbo to work or do I need to do some things first? Sorry I'm new to this...

·
Master Caster
16,120 Posts

·
Master Caster
16,120 Posts

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,625 Posts
supercharger probably more practical overall but, not a trivial project either way.

listen to traildogck above.

track - where you located?

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
buy the raptor kit and install it. it'll work out to similar costs if a tuner is charging for custom intake, intercooler, cooling, oil feeds, exhaust welding and work...etc.

Thanks. I would probably bring it to my local tuner shop to do everything to make sure it's done correctly
they will want to do it their way probably not someone elses.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts