Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all- this is my first time posting here, just got an 01 outback for cheap. Has some issues and one of them is that the PO butchered the air intake for some reason. Missing the air duct & some clamps for the areas pictured. Trying to figure out how these pieces stay together. Can part #1 in the diagram be used? It doesn't show them in that location but I feel like it would work.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For the piece at the air cleaner, it should just press on.
Odd, it does not. Seems that the piece that connects to the air cleaner has a noticable larger ID then the OD on the air cleaner. Not sure how the previous owner could have screwed it up that bad, but who knows!

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Hi all- this is my first time posting here, just got an 01 outback for cheap. Has some issues and one of them is that the PO butchered the air intake for some reason. Missing the air duct & some clamps for the areas pictured. Trying to figure out how these pieces stay together. Can part #1 in the diagram be used? It doesn't show them in that location but I feel like it would work.

Thanks in advance!
The part you're trying to put back together appears to be the resonator, which doesn't really do much. People sometimes remove it entirely for more "induction noise" as it's essentially a noise reduction device.

For parts that are in the air flow prior to the air filter, you don't need tight clamps. Air leaking in is not a problem because all of that air will lead to the filter. For parts that are after the air filter, you need tight connections to prevent unfiltered air from leaking in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The part you're trying to put back together appears to be the resonator, which doesn't really do much. People sometimes remove it entirely for more "induction noise" as it's essentially a noise reduction device.

For parts that are in the air flow prior to the air filter, you don't need tight clamps. Air leaking in is not a problem because all of that air will lead to the filter. For parts that are after the air filter, you need tight connections to prevent unfiltered air from leaking in.
That makes sense, thanks for explaining. When removing it, would you cap it off with something or just leave it open?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts