Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This California company makes intercooler shields for the Subaru Ascent:

Another person is going to be fabricating and selling stainless steel intercooler mesh shields for the Subaru Ascent:

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
1,593 Posts
Interesting.I actually like the custom welded wire version the guy is marketing over there. That said, the bigger question is....
What are you doung hanging around the Ascent forums? Something you need to tell us? I thought your momma raised you better!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2020 Limted XT Black/Ivory
489 Posts
I just looked it up- the ascent and outback use the same intercooler and ducts (same part numbers).

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I just looked it up- the ascent and outback use the same intercooler and ducts (same part numbers).
Good to know. I might bite. Still, I'm not sure I "need" one of these as in 7 mos of driving, the top of my intercooler has stayed near pristeen. ( Maybe one lodged bug.) I'm also unsure of adding airflow restriction (as small as it is) to the car during summer months. It would be interesting to monitor oil temp with/without the screen in a controled environment.

·
Registered
Green 2020 Touring XT Outback
136 Posts
These are pretty clearly for looks only. I’d bet the inter cooler can sustain a fair amount of damage and still work within specs, or else Subaru would not have designed it as they did.

·
Registered
2020 Limted XT Black/Ivory
489 Posts
These are pretty clearly for looks only. I’d bet the inter cooler can sustain a fair amount of damage and still work within specs, or else Subaru would not have designed it as they did.
Look how much abuse the condenser, radiator, and transmission cooler fins can take. The intercooler is essentially the same. It’s not really a concern of mine, but I bet it looks sweet.

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited, Titanium & Magnetite Grays
585 Posts
I'm also unsure of adding airflow restriction (as small as it is) to the car during summer months.
I don't have an XT so do not have a full understanding of the configuration. That said, is there a larger area that could be "filtered" upstream? If so, this could remove the air flow restriction concern.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I've been in contact with the gent making these on the Ascent Forum. More to follow.
Any chance you can talk them into posting here, so we don't all have to joint the Ascent forum, to purchase?
I tend to side with the comments about the intercooler fins being plenty durable (like the radiator, etc), but I like the look of this, and the price is pretty reasonable, at 60-bucks (this is what I gathered from the other forum).

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Any chance you can talk them into posting here, so we don't all have to joint the Ascent forum, to purchase?
I tend to side with the comments about the intercooler fins being plenty durable (like the radiator, etc), but I like the look of this, and the price is pretty reasonable, at 60-bucks (this is what I gathered from the other forum).
I've given him the link here and invited him to join in. I know he's working on a grill screen for the 2020 Outback as well. My guess is that you'll hear from him here shortly.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have to say. I am old school and check my oil with every fill up. I also clean off a small handful of bugs from the intercooler. And there are not a lot of bugs here in New Mexico. That being said, looking at this screen, I don't think it will help that much. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Just heard from AscentStuff (from Silvers origonal link to the sister Ascent forum.). Steve ,the owner, has confirmed fit of the Ascent Intercooler screen on the Outback XT and also has just developed a new lower grill screen for our 2020's. Looks like pretty nice quality, reasonably priced stuff with easy install. That said, I have no afiliation with the site/gent. I'm just passing along info related to this thread. Here is the lower grill screen prototype that was forwarded to me.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have to say. I am old school and check my oil with every fill up. I also clean off a small handful of bugs from the intercooler. And there are not a lot of bugs here in New Mexico. That being said, looking at this screen, I don't think it will help that much. Just my opinion.
Those screens aren't meant to keep the intercooler "clean" as much as to prevent the fins from bending when something brushes across the surface, or an object enters the intercooler ducting (like a large heavy bug or whatnot)

https://www.reddit.com/r/subaru/comments/1fhnem

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just heard from AscentStuff (from Silvers origonal link to the sister Ascent forum.). Steve ,the owner, has confirmed fit of the Ascent Intercooler screen on the Outback XT and also has just developed a new lower grill screen for our 2020's. Looks like pretty nice quality, reasonably priced stuff with easy install. That said, I have no afiliation with the site/gent. I'm just passing along info related to this thread. Here is the lower grill screen prototype that was forwarded to me.

View attachment 488315
You don't happen to have a link for that, do you?

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You don't happen to have a link for that, do you?

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What do you think is holding the screen in place?
I'm not sure but it might be black cable ties. These are somewhat craft-made, not factory/machine made. It looks to be high quality screen material hand cut and hand edged with vinyl edging/trim.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I'm not sure but it might be black cable ties. These are somewhat craft-made, not factory/machine made. It looks to be high quality screen material hand cut and hand edged with vinyl edging/trim.
I think your spot on. I don't know the details but when I asked about install , I was told
" No need to pull anything! It goes right in front of the grill and is held on with plastic ties. No fuss, no mess, no holes, no modifications at all. Simple 5 minute install, easily removed with no evidence left behind." He also mentioned that these arn't on his website yet but could be contacted there (as I did).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the introduction, RocketMan! It has been a very busy couple of weeks, but I finally made it here. I'm the AscentScreen and IntercoolerScreen guy. I'm happy to answer your questions as they arise. For now, yes, I just finished the lower grill screen for the 2020 Outback and it looks great! It is held on by 3 to 4 plastic ties that are supplied with it. (We try to design things that are as straightforward as possible and take no permanent modifications. RocketMan posted the pic of it above. Ascent owners are having problems with their AC condensers being punctured by rocks that are flying through the lower grill. Unfortunately, this is a growing problem with many cars, so don't take it personally. These will save you aggravation and money....

There also is a grill screen for the 2020 Crosstrek, btw. You guessed it, the CrossstrekScreen.

The IntercoolerScreen is in progress. I committed to it late last week and the materials are on the way. There will be 2 different versions of it, one a traditional woven SS mesh, the other a COOL looking SS welded grid. I expect the first batch to be ready by the weekend. For now there is a page for the OutbackStuff on the AscentStuff.Weebly.com.

I started out making stuff for Chevy Volts over 6 years ago and as folks moved on to different cars, they have come back to ask me to make similar things for their new cars. Honda Claritys, Toyota RAV4s, and more. So now we are doing the same things for Subaru vehicles. If you want to check it all out, the main site is VoltShelf.weebly.com.

Thanks,

Steve

1 - 20 of 36 Posts